xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
HmmZ

Vertical Tabbed Navigation is it possible?

I would like to know if there is any way (besides of making it image-wise with PS) to get a vertical navigation bar that uses tabs like in ringbanders (with paper/plastic tabs) using HTML, PHP or javascript?

thanks in advance..

This is not that hard to do. All you really need is to set up some tables and use the layout-flow CSS tag to orient the text vertically. Create 2 "tabs" by creating a table with 2 rows. Create another table that will be your "content" area. Align both tables to "left" and you will get your tab effect.

goto http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ and you can see an example I made. Feel free to look at the page source to see what I did.

Also note: The layout-flow CSS only works in IE 5.5 and up. If you want to have rotated text on other browsers, it will be more complicated (you will need Javascript).

BUT... I am not sure why you don't want to use images. Cause that is the best way to do it. Replace the text in the tab with an image of some text and it will look and work perfectly.

Should have known it, the basics are reliable on IE 5.5+, when are browsers like firefox going to understand that some "left-out" features are great :unsure:ahwell...we'll see..thanks for the feedback