xisto Community
fsastraps

Is This Illegal? Music and Internet

Well, i really want to put up a music page on my website, with just mp3's for people to listen, but i dont know if this is illegal, i am taking some precations, like i encrypted the pages so ppl can see the source codebut i still dont know if it will work.

Here is the link http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

The page is obviously not finished, but its b/c i dont want to get it trouble wit the law you know! :unsure:

Well if you right click to the side of the music player (I think it only works with Internet Explorer) and then you click view source, then you can see that the code is encrypted. To see the music player you obviously have to click on a song to listen first.

Any thoughts about if this is illigal to do?

It is really important to me.

Thanks.

i see some site where people have done my suggestion would be to to but the music in flash i saw one website do it, which makes it impossible to download. all they have to do is click on the song and its a playing.but their are plenty of websites especially back in the day before napster ruined it that people put music files on line background music and want not.i think the rule is as long as your not making a profit and or its not downloadable it fine.

my suggestion would be to to but the music in flash i saw one website do it, which makes it impossible to download.

It doesnt make it impossible to download. There are swf extracting programs out there.

Any thoughts about if this is illigal to do?

It's not illegal if those songs are your own and if they're copyrighted. If you're having songs made by other people. Then it is illegal, unless you have permission from the artists, to do so.

If you're having songs made by other people. Then it is illegal, unless you have permission from the artists, to do so.

Ok so i have to ask every artist that i want to put a song of on my site, and see if it is ok with them if i can let people listen to their song?

And another question. Is it the same deal with music videos? Are those copyrighted?

Something that might help: According to the Digital Millenium Act, it is legal to lend or borrow your collection of music as long as you originally bought the music and posses the original copy. It is also legal to burn copies of your digital media as backups (or "backups" as I like to call them). This, of course, only applies to citizens within the United States of America. Good luck with your site!

no because if they can download it then its illeagal but then anyways ive got a program that records the line in lol so i can just pop open any music thing and record what i want... so yeah eitherway you wont stop anyone from downloading it in some way or fourm

Streaming. I think as long as you get the music from an original cd you bought.. and streamed it. its ok. Its not technically downloadable because they would get the music from a stream and that woould come from your site [the cd you got it from].

Streaming. I think as long as you get the music from an original cd you bought.. and streamed it. its ok. Its not technically downloadable because they would get the music from a stream and that woould come from your site [the cd you got it from].

Such a thing would require lots of bandwidth, and there are programs that can record whatever your sound card is outputing.

Ok, so no matter what! I cannot let people listen to music from my site, unless i have the permissions from every artist to do so?

Not every artist... Just the ones your planning on using their songs for your website.

Most of the information given here is false. You have to be VERY careful with this. First of all, although kind of irrelevant, burning copies of CDs for your friends or family is VERY illegal.Now, about your situation. You cant allow people to even HEAR music (that means upload to the server) that has a copyright attached to it. ALL music by big name artists (and even some small artists) is copyrighted. Unless you have written permission from the artists that hold the copyright to use the music in the exact format that you plan to use it in, you cannot use copyrighted music. No, buying a CD does not mean that you can use the copyright as you wish, it just means that you can listen to the copyrighted music for your own enjoyment ONLY. The only way to get music on your website is to write the songs yourself, and then upload those songs. And if you haven't copyrighted your music, then it's open for anyone to use for themselves in whatever means they want.That's my two cents, remember I may be wrong, and I DON'T warrant you any saftey with following my instructions. All this was intended to do was to help you, and I am not making any warranties.My recommendation: don't offer music.

But in another note, are music videos copyrighted?

Lol, of course they are. It still has the song of the artist in it. The only possible difference is that the music video has more owners than the song itself.

I have seen other websites that do this, but just incase I would agree that you use flash or another option I would consider is Wimpy Player. It's easy to use and really works well and only needs some simple HTML code added to customise it.