xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
melkonianarg

What Is An Ackee? I wonder how many people know...

It's quite a qeird way of finding out what a word means but this is how a stumbled accross an ackee...

One day about 4 years ago i was at school and my english teacher, who had a huge 12ish volume copy of the Oxford English Dictionary, told the class that if one of us was able to think of a word that we knew the meaning of, aqnd he did not, we would get some sort of edible prize...so my friend said 'an ackee'

No-one else knew what the hell this 'ackee' thingy was, and so he got out his dictionary, and he said it was not there and therfor was not a real word...

My friend then said it must be a real word becuse it was in the children's pocket dictionary (strangly enough)...so then he checked the APPENDIX B of the dictionary which included words which were introduced, or found out by the dictionary peopel within the last 200 years...

Anyway...THE MENING OF ACKEE is as follows...

Ackee:
A handful of islands grow ackee as an ornamental tree, but only Jamaica looks at it as a tree that bears edible fruit. The ackee fruit is bright red. When ripe, it bursts open to reveal three large black seeds and bright yellow flesh. The flesh of the ackee is popular as a breakfast food throughout Jamaica. Ackee's scientific name, blighia sapida, comes from Captain Bligh, who introduced the plant to Jamaica from West Africa. Ackee is poisonous if eaten before it is fully mature and because of its toxicity, it is subject to import restrictions and may be hard to obtain in some countries. Never open an ackee pod; it will open itself when it ceases to be deadly. Ackee is sold canned in West Indian markets.
NOW, in fact that definition was from google define, but before doing that i just knew it as a west indian vegetable...and now you know what one is too...hehe...although i dont think it will ever be used in any useful or unusful conversation you ever have with anyone in your entire life, unless you are jamaican.

Notice from BuffaloHELP:
When you use exact words that are alreay published, you must use quote tags. Source: http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ Edited tags.
Edited by moderator (see edit history)

We did a similar competition at school, to come up with a word that no-one else in the class could get the definition for by the end of the lesson. My word was 'aglet'. The definition (according to http://www.dictionary.com/) is:

A tag or sheath, as of plastic, on the end of a lace, cord, or ribbon to facilitate its passing through eyelet holes.

You're wrong saying we'll never use that word in conversation. I just did, to my brother, doing his science homework. He has to get information on 3 different plants, so I have immediately suggested the Ackee tree.

Its amazing how we steadily add to our vocabulary in the weirdest of ways.

Ackee is jamaicas national fruit. it grows on a trees has a red leather type skin and yellow fruit inside that bear Black seeds. if not cooked proparly you can be poisoned. Ackee is eaten when combined with salt fish and a host of cooked foods like yam, banana, and dumpling.

Ackee iss the national food of Jamaica . It tastee good , yuu shouldd buyy itt onee dayy ! :D Imm speaking from experiencee causee iam Jamaican ! :D