xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
QOD

I Need A Gfx Program self-explanitory

I asked, earlier, about a gfx program that wasn't too simple or too complicated. I tried downloading the photoshop CS2 trial but for some reason my computer won't open it. I'm wondering if this computer ( it's not actually mine) already has a gfx program installed on it. I don't think it does. There is something called photo impression 5 but I think it's for the scanner. Are there any other free programs I can download?

Well, I hear GIMP is a very popular free graphics program ( http://www.gimp.org/ ) I have never used it myself, I use Paint Shop Pro instead ( http://www.paintshoppro.com/en/?utm_source=jasc&utm_medium=redirect&utm_term=/en/&utm_campaign=jasc? ) which, if you're willing to part with £100, is better.

I know with my digital camera I got Ulead's Photo Impact, so if you do have a digital camera, you may have some sort of image editing software with it.Generally, though, GIMP is the best free one, and I don't know of any others. Perhaps if the Photoshop CS2 trial doesn't work, try just a Photoshop CS trial instead.

or if you have to go 7.0 it took me awhile to get cs2 but something completely different.and on the paint shop pro from what i seen on this site at least nothing to fancy maybe its just me and most likly it is go adobe man.

Well, I hear GIMP is a very popular free graphics program ( https://www.gimp.org/ ) I have never used it myself, I use Paint Shop Pro instead ( http://www.paintshoppro.com/en/?utm_source=jasc&utm_medium=redirect&utm_term=/en/&utm_campaign=jasc? ) which, if you're willing to part with Ł100, is better.

157774[/snapback]

I would like to point out that GIMP is an alternative to Photoshop..

GIMP is opensource too, and its free GFX tool you are really looking for...

I've never tried it too, but I believe it can do what photoshop can do...

Suitable for Linux machines too...

if i were you i'd get either GIMP or Paint.Net becauase they are both good and free, Paint.Net is like Paint so it is quite easy to use but has extra features that make it worthwhile downloading, for example you can creqate layers with it and fill with scan lines etc, GIMP is good as well although i find it harder to work with, i reccomend you download both and then mess about with them for a while and find out whichever program suits you're needs best, byt don't delete the less useful one as both have great featurwes that the other one doesnt't include

Okay, Photoshop is the best and really easy to use.Paint Shop Pro isn't too good, it was confusing for me when I started GFX. GIMP is cross-platform, can do almost anything Photoshop, but it's really complicated. PDN (Paint.NET) is okay, I don't like it though.

There are a number of free open-source graphic tools you could try. Here's a list I found on wiki-pedia:
Free graphics software - Wikipedia

That list covers quite a few applications and then some, but there was one i didn't see listed there called Inkscape. Its a vector application and may not be to your liking but I think you should try it anyway, if only just for kicks. And if you are planning on doing any 3D work do not forget to check out Blender. Its one of the coolest free 3D apps out there.

Edited by dimumurray (see edit history)