xisto Community
Ledd

I Need Broadband stuck with dial-up

I am a patient person and I was patient enough to wait for the long and time consuming downloads I required with my dial-up internet connection and I was thrilled when I heard that broadband was coming to Ireland and would be available to 95% of the country,That was between 5 and 3 years ago and still there is no broadband available and I am pretty sure that my area would be accessable to fit into the 95% that I hoped would be covered and yet there is no broadband available in my areaSure enough there is satellite broadband but that prove to be over expensive because you pay for the broadband service and the internet connection fee as well,also it hogs your phone line so you can't recieve phone call while your onlineDoes anyone else have this frustrating lack of high speed internet?

ohh ... i didnt know that ireland still doesnt has broadband connection ... hope that you will get it as soon as possible ... But you will get used to it when you use a dial-up for some time ... but if you are a broadband user and switched to dial-up .. i think you will smash your computer when it's still loading

Styx has a similar problem, except that he has a lack of internet because of a faulty fibre optic cable. Check his topic out here.

So Ireland only has dialup and satellite?

Not many people are aware of these problems that are occuring in other countries..at least in the U.S.

Maybe this is kind of dumb..but here we could write a letter to a congressman or some government power that's near us locally..maybe you could do the same?

Yeah i would so like to get broadband, instead of the crummy dial-up, but right now i'm stuck with nothing. the frustrating thing is that i can access google search & images, but not mail. No news feeds either. I used to do a lot of heavy downloading before, even tho it was a 256k line only. now to be connecting at 24k or possibly 33k if i try 20 times or so, seems like back to the stone age!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It seems strange tho that Ireland wouldn't have it. It's not like they're a 3rd world country...

Ireland does have broadband internet, but it isnt available everywhere. It is very similar to how alaska has broadband connection available in most southern areas but northern alaska does not unless you want to pay huge fees.

I am a patient person and I was patient enough to wait for the long and time consuming downloads I required with my dial-up internet connection and I was thrilled when I heard that broadband was coming to Ireland and would be available to 95% of the country,

That was between 5 and 3 years ago and still there is no broadband available and I am pretty sure that my area would be accessable to fit into the 95% that I hoped would be covered and yet there is no broadband available in my area

Sure enough there is satellite broadband but that prove to be over expensive because you pay for the broadband service and the internet connection fee as well,also it hogs your phone line so you can't recieve phone call while your online

Does anyone else have this frustrating lack of high speed internet?

157419[/snapback]

If you subscribe for broad it doesn't mean you can't use telephone, broadband needs the telephone to accessed the server but you still can used the line, receive incoming calls as well as outgoing too. Broadband works faster than the dial up connection, and there is satellite broadband now, but I know know if in your country have... Just check out maybe they have it already you better ask and do search...:unsure:

If you click some of the various links on this page you should be able to find out whether you can get broadband. I live in a small village in southern England and I am literally on the borderline between having and not having broadband (the dividing line is 20yds to the left of my house :unsure: ). It all depends on how far you are from your nearest telephone exchange and whether that exchange is new enough to have broadband technology.

Good luck in getting broadband.

During my first couple of years living in Japan, I was on dial-up. It served well for what I used it for, but when I heard that broadband was becoming more common, I made the swtich almost right away..and I never went back. I certainly hope your conntry gets a reputable high-speed internet service provider soon.

well for everyone under the age of 21 they need the internet to breath fresh air in :). but on topic of the broadband their maybe reasons why they can't do broadband and cable connections, weather land, money (thats the big one). But when enough people ask for it they phone companies shall listen.

Aww dial up :) i feel for you.. If i wen't back to dial up i doubt the PC would be all that interesting anymore , everything i do is based on my internet connection basically. I don't really play games to keep me occupied so offline isn't an option :) Anyhow i hope you get your broadband ASAP!

That's really bad. I can't think how I can survive without broadband. I have been downloading 500GB per month for about a few months. I used to download 3GB per day but now due to the popularity of BT, I can download 20GB per day. Broadband is the most wonderful thing in the modern world. Anyway, I still cannot tolerate my broadband, which is a 6M ADSL, I am jealous of my friends who have FTTB coverage, with a speed of 100M and is even cheaper than the ISP I am with ! I will get that with my home is covered,

dial up is no match for broadband. but dear friend realize that you still are blissed to be connected. You can enjoy the priveleges of being riding the wave of new technology.We pray for you and all those who are on dial up or not yet connected to the cyber world.soon you will zoom ahead on broadband

Yeah.. it's a sad, sad thing.. I've always lived in towns too small to offer broadband, although of course, the towns 20 minutes over have a zillion different providors :lol:But here I am, stuck with two choices: Dialup- $12/monthSatilite- $100/month..argle.At least the college has super-speedy internet.. ^^