xisto Community
HmmZ

Argh, Choose Please.. between 4 possible layouts -_-

Wich layout is best?  

19 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Wich layout would best present a 'professional' webdesign company

Layout 1:
Uses a simple design, HTML and PHP(Not W3C validated), with self-coded news system and projects page

Layout 2:
More complex design, HTML only (W3C validated), uses a simple 2 color scheme

Layout 3:
Originally my portfolio site, HTML and PHP(Not W3C validated), selfcoded news system and very simple design concept

Layout 4:
Latest website, uses a new type of coding (it's full div coded with PS CS2 Slicing), with a special div scroller wich holds off that nasty "regular" scrollbar.

Wich one? I can't choose and im tired of showing you guys new design concepts everytime, and you guys are prolly getting tired of it too...now is your chance..to get rid of me :unsure:

P.S. I hope the poll ahrefs work... >.<

Dammit.. preview wouldn't show me the damn poll :D

Notice from snlildude87:
Posts merged.

Layout 1:

What I like: I like its overall simplicity. The navigation is simple, and the news system is simple. However, it's a webdesign company, so shouldn't it be more graphics-oriented?

What I don't like: You used tables. If you ever have a really big page, it would take forever to load. Use CSS for tables instead. And if you don't know how to do this, there are a bunch of tutorials out there that will show you.
-----------
Layout 2:

What I like: The banner. At first, it looked like Flash, but I realized that it's not, and that's what's cool about it. Your visitors don't need flash to view it. I also like the simple/standard navigation on the left, so your visitors can easily find the page that they're looking for.

What I don't like: You used a frame. Instead of using frames, use PHP includes. It's similar to frames because if you edit the include file, then all the pages that use the include will change. Also, you'll get a higher search engine ranking if you steer away from frames.
-----------
Layout 3:

What I like: Sweet navigation buttons.

What I don't like: Lack of colors and graphics. If it's a portofolio site, then you should really spice it up. Show off your skills. Don't go with the standard black-on-white design. Also, kill the tables and iframe. CSS is the way to go.
------------
Layout 4:

What I like: The background. Nice little scanline action you have going on. I also like its simplicity. Also, you did not choose tables or frames on this one. Good choice.

What I don't like: The background. It makes your navigation on the side hard to read. It also makes the copyright text at the bottom look weird. I also don't like the content/news area. Perhaps you could make its background match the rest of the site....

Overall, I think you should go with number 3 because it has potential. Once you work on it a little more, I think it could really look awesome!

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

Edited by snlildude87 (see edit history)

i would go for layout #1... but just the header and footer part. :D the midsection of the page needs some tweaking. the right column text flows over the "imagined" margin set by the header and footer. maybe splice the header and footer better and fix how the columns are coded. :unsure: also the menu part is a bit small. the "creations" written on the header is also a bit unreadable.i'm using firefox, at 1024x768 while testing your layouts. :D

The first one looks very good, and it employs a nice color scheme, but the "Looking for a company..." part on the right side looks a bit off, and goes outside of the border of the images. It'd look probably better if that didn't go past the right edge of the images and didn't look like it was interfering with the news.The second is overall good but maybe a little bit distracting with the gifs. Interesting colors, but maybe not the most web design company-y.Third looks professional with the simple color scheme but flashy logo and image mouseovers. The emoticons make it seem less professional, though; when you see a professional website, it usually doesn't have them.The last one has potential, but it depends where you go with it. The horizontal lines are interesting, but make the images in the top left look a little off. I wouldn't use Times New Roman, either. Last, the scrollbar thing is a neat idea and it shows off your skill, but it's a bit annoying having to scroll down with the normal bar to get to your scrollbar.Overall, I'd say go with the third one. It's got a good scheme and a simple layout, but still shows that you're good at webdesign.

I think that Layout One is the best, either one or two.If you choose layout one though, there's a secruity issue that you would want to be worried about and try to fix.. I'll PM it to you if you don't know what it is.

Thanks for the quick and well-commented feedback guys, i love the way noone really chooses just 1 layout, but the heade rof that 1, the footer of that 1, the color scheme of the other...:unsure:Overall, i would say most people like the base of layout 3, for now, it will do and ill work further on that 1, i saw someone liked my anaimated navigation buttons, so ill work further on it, also the header will be replaced with something more suitable. And as snil suggested, ill be changing some of the source to divs, i found out with my last site that it's a great feature.Thanks again for the feedback, i really appreciated it.P.S. Rejected, thanks for bringing up the security issue, i know what you mean, i was a complete newb (still am) with function bases php, so it shows with the issue.

Out of the four layout, I liked number 1 the best. Fairly simple, although the text in the navigation menu is a bit small. Apart from that, I'm glad to see you've kept the same colour scheme. Layouts 3 and 4 also look very promising (at least the background has some potential).

I agree that the header and footer bars from the first layout look excellent and could be applied to any of the other designs. Layout 3 is also incredibly good. If you could somehow combine those two layouts you would have a great design for a site.

Layout 1: Its simple, but not bad. I' don't really like the bevel effect on the header (or at least thats what it looks like).the Navigation graphics are koo, but a bit too small.Nice layout-----------Layout 2:Most proffesional design by far. header is really engaging, with good lookign logo, animations and nice sweeping cut out. Its very nice indeed, but. . . the header seems to be ina differernt league than the rest of the design. the rest seems a bit plain comapred to it.the colours work great, and i would advise this design as it also fits best with your name solarity.-----------Layout 3:mmmmmmm not too keen on this design. I mean the naviagtion aniamtion is pretty koo but just doesnt really fit very well at seems out of the way. I like the scrolling arrows 9guessing some form of javascript)The graphics of the site don't seem to flow in a theme.------------Layout 4:no offense but i seriosuly dislike this design. The backgroudn might not be so bad if it wasn't for the Horizontal scan lines.The naviagtion is also very hard to see. I won't rant about the formatting on this, or the ova designs, as they r only wip designs so i'm guesisng proper layout and formatting will come later.again i like the scrolling content with use of the arrow graphicsI say go for number 2.It has a very proffesional header to it and has Alot of potential. you jsut need to format the content. Stick some graphics in here and there and if possible, make the rest of the design a little more itneresting.The other designs jsut don't look proffesional enough.

I would say that layout 1 and 2 are the best of the bunch. I like layout one better because of the color selection, but that's just one man't opinion. I think that if you merged layouts one and two, you would have yourself a winner. Good luck!

Please rate the revised design...

Solarity Creations

It should be fast as hell (speed report says 6.89secs on 56k modems) and i am really comfortable with how it looks..opinions pls! :unsure:

159192[/snapback]

design is better than the others. :D i just don't see the point of having the scrollbar within your page. seems pointless... it's just annoying for me. the browser scroller is enough. :P

before putting your pages up LIVE, maybe you ought to do some spellchecking. "more then passion" doesn't sound professional nor grammatically-correct, belying the "professional" character your site would want to project. :P also "revisioning"... maybe you mean "revising". :D proofread content some more. i saw more textual errors but you will easily find them. :D

footer text is quite unreadable at its current size. viewing your page at your recommended resolution (1024x768) makes me squint to read it fully. what more at higher resolutions.

sidenote: the text regarding "clicking" in your page is most likely a violation of your ad provider's TOS (that may get you kicked off their program)... just a reminder. :D