xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Uncle Bob

Napster

Napster is Back! I was in a chat room and a user called Napsters came on and said "Napster is back! Get a premium Napster account" or something similiar to that. i thought that they would never be back. unless they turned napster into a p2p program. What do you think about this anouncement?

They have actually been back for a really really long time. Definitely more than a year. I don't get why you say "turned it into a p2p program" as it WAS a p2p program. Now it ISN'T a p2p program, it's just another one of those crappy paid music stores. I honestly wouldn't get an account with them. I don't think the real Napster would advertise in chat rooms like that, but maybe. Usually stupid spammers just do that. The main thing is however that every person who joins these stores is just supporting all of the RIAA's stupidity and artists will continue to get ripped off, making less than 10 cents a CD. Real P2P is here to stay, and can be legal, they just fail to go in that direction. In the future artists will be more in control of distributing their music through the internet and the RIAA will fall apart. It is only a matter of time.

nothing to add there...back in the days, I loaded my first song from Napster. A few minutes later, the same guy loaded the same song from me.I asked him why he's doing that - and he told me that he's getting his song back... ;Dthose were the times where P2P didn't bother about anonmity :unsure:

I used to use Napster in the past for downloading music. I've never used it for anything else. It's good that they're back however, it's always nice to see a damaged company make a comeback. :unsure: They have probably learned many new things which should encourage a more prosperous company in the future.

I don't think so, I'm pretty certain that the kid who developed Napster was forced to sell the company. So its not like a damaged company is coming back. It is really not the case at all. Basically its a new company using an old trademark to its advantage.

Advantage?Most people know the name as a bad and pay one these days, so why would anyone bother to travel there?Buy a CD in a group of 10, and Rip it, and there you go! $2 and you have all the songs you want. OR Good old P2P for everything and anything you want, until some big scandel happens and your P2P program go out the window...Then the problem with Spam/Junk Mail, blah blah! We are lazy, well i am, so we 'steal' rather then fight for lower pricing! :unsure: