xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
kvarnerexpress

Imagemap

know how to make and use an imagemap. But in the current situation the maps are fine mesh grids hundreds of little rectanges all the same size with a different area object for each one. I really dont want to tediously draw 1500 little rectangles, oh yes, and they should align nicely in rows too. I've downloaded several sofwares to do thisimaptool for Linux, which broke, andhandy image mapper on winxp but none of them really automate the task. I will spend money for the right tool because I will need to do these maps on a regular basis. thanks if you have any suggestions.

i don't use image maps anymore, they tend to be more spalshes pages then actual design but why 1500? that seems alot unless you have a ver detailed image but as for softwareyou go adobeilead (i think thats what its called) i believe dreamweaver cand do the actual coding but like i said i don't use image maps.

You can use a form button and set your image as the background image for the form. Then, when someone clicks on the button/image, you can get the x and y position of the click.

<input type="image" name="map" src="/images/map.gif">
And then on the page it submits to you put something like
<?php$x = $_POST['map_x']$y = $_POST['map_y']//Stuff here where you use the x and y coordinates?>

Another solution would be to trigger a javascript function onclick on the image and use it to fetch the x and y coordinates of the click. Using JavaScript might be more elegant...

Using lists and CSS is not an option in this case, since you basically have to do something different for each pixel (or other small area), and making a 1500 item list, with CSS defined for each list item would be clunky.