xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
mahesh2k

Blogs -Global idea-

I remember online diaries was craze during 2000-2001.sites like diaryland & many others allowed users to express thier views.Defining blog it is like more than diary & less than your own website.Developement of the web made the diary turn into blog.Blog thing is now so much famous .That many online services are offering many megabytes of space for thier users with some restrictions ofcourse(ADS,Linking,Content).In old days blogs were with too technical look & suitable for geeks.But now this is changed.anyone with typing skill & bit of HTMl knowledge can start blog.Blogs are also good way to search for like-minded peoples.

List of most poplular blog sites:-
MSN Spaces
Blogger
Yahoo 360
You can even check that if your ISP offers such functionality.I m not sure in UK ntl offers this or not.But most of the ISP's in future will host such service.

It is like closed loop forum where you are the ADMIN guiding and making your own discussion topics,You can even sort your posts reply by monthly replies and so on.You can even post thru Cell phone or email.
if you really looking for some help.blogs also help you free your mental tension,as usually you can't be free of depressions,tension until you share your feelings with someone.but writing down your worries is also proved to be good practice to keep your wories aside,you can even ask for help from your internet friends. It is good that every blog you can see on the web have feedback,comment,quick reply included that is very useful as you can see that you're being heard somewhere.blog's usually becomes automatically closed loop,cause nobody wastes time reading someone's posts(Exceptions are there!)

Blog is internet's fastest growing activities-blogging and social networking.Many online companies modified blog concept in their own way.
For example, MSN started with Spaces service.Spaces is actually simmilar to the blog thing and have features like.
1.Posting Photo albums.
2.Posting from Cell phone,email (Still in beta tests)
3.MSN Spaces does offer RSS 2.0 syndication support.You can specify RSS or Atom site feed publishing and whether to publish short or full post descriptions.
4.Integration with other MSN services.(E.g.Music,MSN toolbar etc)

MSN spaces is good start by MSN.Blogger is also good service as it is more dedicated service than MSN.Spaces is more for the normal users who can't handle more than HTML.you can understand RSS feeds are not used by normal users.RSS (Real simple sybdication) is now taking over the most parts of online portals,Apple users know that it is included in thier safari browser(OS X "Tiger").
There are many areas where spaces fails like,you cant pin point domain to MSN spaces servers.it will not work always.And you can't create custom themes also.
Blogger.com is weapon of choice for most of the power users as it overcomes most of the MSN's limitations.Blogger.com makes blogs more than diary site you can say it is persomal web site service.Blogger.com is good and you can even link fast from any forums,there is very little URL you need to remember.

http://yahoo.com/ also started it's blogging service,named as Yahoo 360.i dont know if thiere is any invities threadis here or not.if so pls link me to it.Well this Blog fever is on me now,i hosted my blog on http://mahesh2k.blogspot.de/ .Most of the stuff i posted over there is computer related.You can take a look at it,pls tell me what you think about it.Pls post some more blog links if you know any better than i mentioned above.

Now I never heard of MSN Spaces (big shock to myself because I used to always be all over MSN) But in my opinion (though you might not want it) is that blogs like wordpress, greymatter, pmachine, b2, etctera, etctera make your site if they are actually on your site mainlly because you can do what you want without worrying about the TOS or whatever rules they have and customize freely. I have had many issue with blogger and blogsome and a few other free blogging host sites. I'm glad you haven't had the same expreiences as me. Also I took a look at your site. It's nice and all but I didn't comment because I have no idea what it is about. lol

I have used wordpress, b2, and greymatter. Pretty good blogging ware. I rather use those services rather than the ones that are hosted like Xanga, msn spaces, livejournal, etc.... They dont let you customize the page like you would your own webpage. And they have to have ads on them. Xanga is the worst in my opinion becuase customizing it is hard.

How will you attract visitors etc. to your blog, Unless you have 3 wishes and wished that everyone knew and loved your site, lolI think WordPress is too complicated and b2 comes with alot of posts you have to delete etc. there the only 2 ive tried, time to Experement them all

Call me niave but I won't know if i don't ask, what is the difference between creating a website ( like envy.com ) and blogging. I saw something about blogging on the news and I don't think I understand what it is all about.

I think WordPress is quite good. I use WordPress Version 1.5 (the latest version) myself. It is recommended for more advanced users with more computer knowledge. If you are new to the world of blogging and want to start a blog for the first time, i recommend Blogger, which is quite easy to setup and maintain.

Blogs are juts logs of your daily gossip and stuff. lol. Online journals, diaries or just 'stuff'.I have one , I use wordpress it's pretty simple to use and there are loads of plugins and hacks that you can install :unsure:I tried using grey matter but I couldn't be bothered to upload ALL of the files..Cutenews is good for non mysql users as it requires NO mysql at all.wordpress IS the old b2 I think. Not sure. It revolutioned from another blog haha.

Well this is great topic for discussion. There are so many types of blogs and journals out there now. I do remember when online journals first started being a craze. Welll Blogs have made it to the mainstream now. Pretty much anyone who is anyone has one. There are even a few famous people that have them. The one I visit or read at least semi regularly is Wil Wheaton's site. He has some interesting ideas. I have blogs all over the place including on my own domain. But the one that I post on the most is livejournal. I have a bad habit of getting bored with my layouts so I am always changing the look depending on my mood and feelings at the time. I usually keep a layout for a few months before I get really board. Livejournal has great customization abilities if you have a paid account. Also if you learn CSS and know some html you can make your own layout for your journal. So its not without positives. I am using Wordpress on my domain blog. I don't post as often on that blog but when I do its usually about my political views or views about interests I have. I use my livejournal as an exploritory tool of where I am in life and where I am going. Basically that is my daily life journal. There are alot of people on livejournal. Its a community of sorts. It can be a fun place to hang out in. I have not found it to be to overbearing in the rules department. But maybe I am wrong. Anyway I use all of the differant blogs I have for various functions. Here you see a couple of examples of what my blog use is. :unsure:

Basically, with a blog you create content and post it, everything you post is sorted by date; and everything you post can be commented on (if you have blogging software that supports it and you have it enabled obviously).

With a "normal" website you usually don't timestamp anything, but just put it on your site and let people find it.

I have to say that I don't really agree with the "more than a diary but less than a website" definition. In my eyes many blogs aren't more than diaries, thoughts about things the writer experiences and so on, nothing really exciting and often seemingly written more for personal enjoyment than for that of the visitors. And then there are interesting blogs, blogs with real content that certainly are no worse--and sometimes much better--than "normal" websites.

I think you could define "blog" better as publications online in reverse chronological order, and leave it at that. :unsure:

And for blogging systems, I've played around with a few different systems, but can't say I was extatic about any of them (they include Geeklog, Wordpress and MovableType). If I had to pick one I'd go with MoveableType though, I thought it was quite tweak-friendly (both with regards to the front end as to the back end), which is imporant to me.

But right now I'm trying to put together my own blogging software, but I feel I still have a log of work ahead of me. I thought this list was pretty good in mentioning a lot of features I'd like in a blogging system.

I am using wordpress at the moment and I am quite satisfied with it, despite the recent security vulnerabilities that are found from time to time ever since the launch of the new version, 1.5. One function that is lacking is the verification code for comments. Since there is none, it is quite susceptible to spamming. Version 1.5 has actually made improvements on this aspect, banning users for repeated commenting at a short time. But it is still not enough. A blog is not a diary. I think people blog for (at least) three reasons. 1) Peeking into others? lives, 2) Speaking ill of others freely and 3) showing off. I put up my blog mainly for reason 2 and 3. (You won?t show off in your diary, right?) I have actually witnessed the power of blogging when a certain rumor spread in my school simply because a certain blogger put it purposefully on her blog. You will notice the difference once you switch from diary to blog. There are far too many things that you will hesitate to put on the public domain. For me, the diary is much hardcore, containing things that would make me blush. In the blogs, people pretend to be humorous, funny and talkative. You will start portraying yourself as another character in your blog. Blogs are therefore never sincere. They serve important social function though and are likely to play more important role in people?s lives. I won?t recommend xanga and space. The day will come when they will actually charge you for blogging and you will find that you cannot move your articles elsewhere. Whereas if you blog by wordpress, you can import and export the database freely through phpmyadmin.

Wow! Just came across your thread. I just started to use WordPress myself. So far, I'm very impressed with what you can do with it. Before then, I used Blogger (which is also a very good blogging service, and it's great for beginners who want to start their own website but have no background in HTML).Anyway...back to WP. I have 1.5 and I love using the Themes (and the plug-ins), and I hope to create my own someday to add a more personal stamp to my blog.

The problem with Wordpress, MovableType and so on is that you are forced to make all sorts of security arrangements more or less right away. A "clean" install of either system will be open for all sort of spammers; like comment spam and trackback spam.

Jaques Distler had 429 trackbacks/day in June. And it's not like he has the most visited blog ever. He is running MT, which is considered a pretty good system as far as I know, still he is continually editing the system to stop spammers. And he already has a highly adpted system. A clean system (again, both MT and WP) have all sorts of "standard" files for spammers to exploit.

While I'm at it, what's the point of trackbacks? I mean, if someone posts in their own blog about something you've written, you'll see that in your referer log? The only thing you're missing out on is blogs that write about you but where the readers of that blog never visit your site. To me it seems like trackbacks and pingbacks bring more problems than pleasures...

I've used almost all of those bloggy places, like Xanga, Livejournal, PItas, Diaryland....etc. I drop them out or delete them or leave them dead after a few uses. (cuz i got made my own blog now)..

Nwayz, have u guys check out dis place yet? http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

It's like an anime/interactive/blogging comunity, where you can have your own blog there. It's different from Xanga and Livejournal. I would say that you can edit your blog just like a normal webpage without a blog system like Xanga/Pitas has. They don't need any confusing codes, and there are no ads. Xept you have to give them credit at the bottom of you page of where you hosted your blog.

Go check it out! -_-