xisto Community
kitty

Illiterate Hackers? Are hackers becoming illiterate?

So, I just talked to my friend this earlier today, and he mentioned he saw an interesting article on Slashdot, so I went' to read it. Some guy says that more and more people, whose native language is english, don't know how to write properly. And the fact that someone mentions that to them, thinking they would learn from that, they get angry!This may sound stupid, but I can testify for that... I spend some time on irc chats every day, and more and more people, from my country, don't know how to write in our native language, serbian. And they all have nick's like Phr3ak, H4krZ_Rool3 and similar :unsure: Now, I realise they are mostly lamers (or l4m3rz as they would put it), but there are many highly educated people, who just don't know they grammar. And yes, when someone tells them they made a mistake, they get angry, and start saying all kinds of bad stuff...There are many members from all around the world here, can you say the same for your country? Are highly inteligent people becoming illiterate? Is the need for correct writing dissapearing? What's your point of view?p.s.I don't know if I put this in the right place, maybe it belongs somewhere in computer forums? I'm sorry if I made a mistake...

So, I just talked to my friend this earlier today, and he mentioned he saw an interesting article on Slashdot, so I went' to read it. Some guy says that more and more people, whose native language is english, don't know how to write properly. And the fact that someone mentions that to them, thinking they would learn from that, they get angry!

This may sound stupid, but I can testify for that... I spend some time on irc chats every day, and more and more people, from my country, don't know how to write in our native language, serbian. And they all have nick's like Phr3ak, H4krZ_Rool3 and similar :unsure: Now, I realise they are mostly lamers (or l4m3rz as they would put it), but there are many highly educated people, who just don't know they grammar. And yes, when someone tells them they made a mistake, they get angry, and start saying all kinds of bad stuff...

There are many members from all around the world here, can you say the same for your country? Are highly inteligent people becoming illiterate? Is the need for correct writing dissapearing? What's your point of view?

p.s.

I don't know if I put this in the right place, maybe it belongs somewhere in computer forums? I'm sorry if I made a mistake...

156770[/snapback]

Heh heh heh... :D

I recently found a way to provide myself a deep source of entertainment in rooms where spammers keep typing ads for all to see. I'll mimic their ads, for example they'll say something like "is health and yada yada yada what you crave? Then https://xyz.xyz/ is the place for you" and I'll say something like "is truth and eternal life what you crave? Then https://www.bible.com/ is the place for you."

Here's my personal favorite post :D

"Are You A Board Spammer? Sick Of Being Made Fun Of For Bad Grammar? http://www.learn-english-grammar.com/;

That's a real site too btw :D Several board spammers yesterday left the room after I kept posting that, so that it got so quiet there was one person saying "<<<echo>>>" :D

I do see what you are saying. However, it may be because those intelligent people are becoming lazy, and may not want to speak in correct grammar. I've seen plenty of places, and chatted with many people on an instant messenger, whose grammar isn't too great. Sometimes, I may not think, and I end up using some bad grammar. For some reason, that's just the way people are becoming online (and I've heard people speak bad grammar, as well). I guess it's just the way people are wanting to be.

Heh heh heh...  :D

"Are You A Board Spammer?  Sick Of Being Made Fun Of For Bad Grammar?  http://www.learn-english-grammar.com/;

That's a real site too btw :D  Several board spammers yesterday left the room after I kept posting that, so that it got so quiet there was one person saying "<<<echo>>>"  :D

156820[/snapback]

hahahahahaa.... dude you're tooo funny. But the whole point here I think (apart from non-native english speakers with bad grammar) - is that most people have turned insanely lazy. I mean comeon, first of all you're not even moving an inch from your chair and having loads of fun with a wild bunch of people from all around the world - on top of that you act so lazy that you wouldn't even bother typing out whole words or sentences ??? What kind of attitude is that? It got even more degraded with hundreds of so-called cool CHAT-LINGO pilfering down the ranks.

According to me - people who've been using the net for a long while now - are still better off, as they've come round.. It's the n00bs that have a complete class of their own :D The moment they get online they turn into these IMHO, BRB, BBL freaks - as if that was the language they ever learnt to speak.. most chatters develope a pretty good hand at typing - so any bull about being slow typists and thus resorting to shorter abbreviations is entirely unbelievable. I've been to irc chat-rooms (was hooked onto irc for 5 yrs at a stretch) where all you see are those TLA's (Three Letter Abbreviations - which itself is another TLA :unsure: ) floating around. On top of that add the moderately new concept of going the |33t way - urggh.. that's another thing I can't stand at all... to me these are nothing but a bloody bunch of "nicompoops" (remember the favorite phrase of Captain Haddock ?? Anybody used to read Tintin series as a kid?) ... yeaah.. they're nothing short of nicompoops..

Anyways, I better stop - coz once I open my mouth on this topic I can't seem to retain control over my fingers... I could probably fill up 7-8 more pages of this... but what's the use. Nothing's gonna change at what I say!! They'll still carry on with their pseudo-intellection illusions of being the h@X0R l33t lame-to-the-core bullcrap... pheww.. worse than a bunch of maggots who at least have a definite purpose in life.

Well, I think if you consider the basic personality of people who go to spam game rooms with ads (like yahoo's) or send off emails, they probably don't spend as much time learning anything as just trying to draw attention to something which attracted their shockingly small attention spans.

well i can testify to that i just type to fast to pay attentiion i know what im saying but my fingers screw it up >:unsure: but really why get pissed cuz you cant produce proper grammer like thiswoo ude, fhat o cking ol :D try to finish that one lol but anyways that still sad dat some1 can missed someding diked hat. :D

Me grammer good, :unsure: yes it is true, more and more people are having problems with grammer, be it down to general stupidness, lazyness or the enemy of the english language 'Text Speak' Instant Messangers don't help either, and it is unfortunate for all of my friends that I continually correct anyone who uses incorrect grammer, and no before you start I am not perfect I also make mistakes, but seriuosly if, as it is in this case, said illiterate people are hackers does anyone actually care? this is however important to the rest of the world, I mean if you cant even be bothered to learn your own language what hope do you have for the future, now I am not opposed to abbreviating words, but only if its informal, and never in speech, I mean it is insanely difficult to talk to someone who insits on saying 'lol'. I remember a while back there was a few people who wrote exams in 'text speak' needless to say they failed, but I bet they will never do it again.

Yup... I noticed that too... I hang arround chat rooms, and I agree, these newcomers (or n00bz as they like to be called) are the ones using this slang, TLA, abbreviated language... Net veterans, are experienced typists, and can type without looking at the keyboard, and acctualy, it takes me more time to write lol or something abbreviated, than to type the whole damned thing :unsure:And the saddest thing: more and more kids get online, starting at the birthyear of 1988 and lower, and they have absolutely NO idea about the language. I'm talking about kids in my country, of course. I know serbian isn't the easiest language, but what do they go to school for? Perhaps nobody is teaching them anything there...As someone said, I could go, on and on and on about this, and just get my blood presure up :D I try not to notice how lame that all looks, but, it gets to me sometimes...I mean, it's ok to use lol, or brb, but overusing TLA'a and abbreviations isn't cool, it's lame... Or l4m3 :D

I mean, it's ok to use lol, or brb, but overusing TLA'a and abbreviations isn't cool, it's lame... Or l4m3

I couldn't aggree more, and some things make sense as abvreations (My problem isn't grammer, it's spelling!) Like MMORPG, you know how long that takes to say let alone type, but hey that's what abvr...... (you know) are for. but some of this stuff you see around the chatrooms. Like the one guy said they say it the chat lingo. Things like lol do help speed up your typing but when you must condense everything into a few characters, it make it hard for everyone to read, for example g2g, what does that mean, got to go, or good to go? two very diffrent meanings, they say you can derive the meaning from the conversation? Well when the conversation as a whole consists of a few letters and a whole bunch of numbers and smily faces, that doesn't help. Then it extends beyond the typing, everyone knows gr8 (great) but have you ever heard anyone say grrrr-eight. And what more most of these people are still in school, so finding a job hasn't been an issue (myself included) but try applying for a job as typist with a resume/cover letter that says: b4 now i wrkd @ mark's house 'o' chee$e; CU s00n!
Oh, one more thing, like I like totaly forgot about this thing like umm it was a thing, like you know.

If you have nothing to say don't say it!

I seriously doubt this is true. I'm sure there are a few who are illeterate, but in most cases you need to know how to read in order to understand how to take advantage of sensitive material.

Most English speakers today are either completely slack or just plain dumb when it comes to their mother tongue! And as for hackers being illiterate, I'm sure they always have been, why else did they invent their own way to type? Their own "1337" language. It's rediculous, and it annoys me the way people type these days. Many people who type stupidly aren't even that stupid. Though, sadly, many are. English speakers just don't know what they're saying, they don't get it, maybe we need better English teachers? Or we need to inforce the continued use and practise of proper English!because personally typing lyke this with no punctuation or capitols looks pretty stupid to me and even makes it harder to read why do you think punctuation was invented so you could read easier obviously i hate people who type like this and whats worse is people who tIp3 L13k d15 its just so ugly like omg and all the abbreviations cant people spell they need to abbreviate everything even short words like good become gud and would become wood or wud and stupid things like thatSorry, I'm finished ranting now.

because personally typing lyke this with no punctuation or capitols looks pretty stupid to me and even makes it harder to read why do you think punctuation was invented so you could read easier obviously i hate people who type like this and whats worse is people who tIp3 L13k d15 its just so ugly like omg and all the abbreviations cant people spell they need to abbreviate everything even short words like good become gud and would become wood or wud and stupid things like that

HaHaHaThat's was great, you're right very hard to read, feel like a translation?

Particularly this:

people who tIp3 L13k d15 its just so ugly like omg and all the abbreviations cant

Well I dont know if youve ever seen it, but if you google it it might come up. Theres this thing that if you type in a sentence like "That was so sweet!" it changes it to 12 year old leet speak so make it something similar to "DaT w4Z S0000 S\/\/33T!!!1!!1!" Its pretty funny. Lots of people, kids mostly, actually consider it "cool" though. Sometimes I think its sorta funny, and if you copy and paste each message individually in the leet-speak-maker thingy then hey, maybe youll get a girlfriend/boyfriend :P lolItd be pretty sad if two hackers are talking and one is like "i got the pass! Its apple!" and the other one cant get it because he spells it wrong or something like that. Yeah, i have a bad sense of humor, I would just be amused and would definetly laugh at hacker 2. XD

Edited by lilemi (see edit history)