xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
cse-icons

Finding Mysql Database Password? please help

hi,I have installed Coppermine Gallery using fantastico. I want to bridge it with mambo. and for that configuration, I need the password for the database Coppermine uses. Can anyone tell me how to find out the database password in this case? I tried the coppermine admin panel but could not find it there.Does anyone know which config file does coppermine use to store database password.I can create another user with the same permissions and use it but there must be a way to determine the password set for the databases created by fantastico?? any help would be appreciated.Cheers.

More than likely, the password for that database is the same as your Cpanel password. Unless Fantastico created a new user, which I wouldn't count on. Just try your Cpanel password and see if that works for you.

More than likely, the password for that database is the same as your Cpanel password.  Unless Fantastico created a new user, which I wouldn't count on.  Just try your Cpanel password and see if that works for you.

156182[/snapback]

Fantastico has created a new user and so the cpanel password would not work. I also tried giving permission to mambo user and using the same username for the coppermine mod but it is giving an error.

Also I donno much php.. that adds to the problem.

another way, you can query thru mySql database or phpMyadmin under site management tools..

156217[/snapback]

I did not get you, what query would give me the password to a user in the mysql database?

Cheers.

I haven't installed CopperMine, however, (If I'm not mistaken) the passwords are encrytped via md5 hashes(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MD5) (in Mambo also.). Therefore, you won't be able to find these "raw" password lists in your MySQL queries You instead will find long strings of numbers and letters. (viz. d41d8cd98f00b204e9800998ecf8427e)They are encryted by the scripts and merging Mambo and Coppermine together to share the same password would create a large compatiblity issue.I may be wrong on this, but I am pretty sure that this is the case. Your best solution would be to just keep these two scripts seperate.

Most of these CMS/Forums/Wiki CLones - all store their DB Login/Passwords in a file called config.php - it's almost like a rule... search for some file like that in your coppermine directory.

The fie should contain just a few lines of code like:

<?php$user = 'something'$pass='something'$dbname='someotherthing'?>

If you can't spot the file, try looking into the coppermine login script - you'll get an idea what the login/pass variables are - that are used to connect to your db. You can then go a grep of your coppermine files and see if any file comes up with a matching pattern. (You need shell access for this - which you can make a request for in the hosting forum)...

Regards,

m^e

Edited by microscopic^earthling (see edit history)

I haven't installed CopperMine, however, (If I'm not mistaken) the passwords are encrytped via md5 hashes(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MD5) (in Mambo also.).

Therefore, you won't be able to find these "raw" password lists in your MySQL queries

You instead will find long strings of numbers and letters. (viz. d41d8cd98f00b204e9800998ecf8427e)

They are encryted by the scripts and merging Mambo and Coppermine together to share the same password would create a large compatiblity issue.

I may be wrong on this, but I am pretty sure that this is the case.

Your best solution would be to just keep these two scripts seperate.

156579[/snapback]

yeah, as far as pwd storage is concerned they are stored in encrypted form. so you cannot retrieve the plaintext. Moreover in mysql, the databases, tables info and users are stored in a separate database which has admin rights. I dont think we have access to browse that database.

Most of these CMS/Forums/Wiki CLones - all store their DB Login/Passwords in a file called config.php - it's almost like a rule... search for some file like that in your coppermine directory.

The fie should contain just a few lines of code like:

<?php$user = 'something'$pass='something'$dbname='someotherthing'?>
If you can't spot the file, try looking into the coppermine login script - you'll get an idea what the login/pass variables are - that are used to connect to your db. You can then go a grep of your coppermine files and see if any file comes up with a matching pattern. (You need shell access for this - which you can make a request for in the hosting forum)...

Regards,

m^e

156586[/snapback]

yeah, I got it now.. I found a config.php file which included two other files from the include directory. In that there was another config file.

All this while I was looking at the config file in the root directory of my installation. Now I got the password.

Thanks

Also thanks everyone for the help..

Cheers.