xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
BeyondEarth

What Is Your Favorite Books/series Come on Tell us Lol...

Alrighty. This is kinda weird for me to post this because I really don't read that much but there are a few that I truly love!First of all, I really like "The Davinci Code" and "Angels and Demon's" Both outstanding books! Great plot! Unexpected endings! Kept moving to keep me interested! Very good! If you havent read either of them for any reason, religious or not, I would suggest reading them! They are great.Now my truly favorite trilogy... or at least soon to be trilogy, is the "Domain" trilogy by Steve Alten. Basically, its this huge story about the end of the world! Woohoo! Lol... But yeah. It's one of them books, like "Angels and Demons" and "The Davinci Code," where it supplies so much information you almost have to believe that its all real! Now I know fiction is fiction, and I am too lazy to look up to see if any of its true myself, but! Fiction is fun. And this trilogy gets my mind going and thinking and such. I love that. It has information bout the present, theories for the near future, and conspiracy of the world ending! Who could ask for more? The first two books are "Domain" and "Resurection" and eventually to come out is "Phobos" I am very much excited for the third book to come out, god only knows when but I am still excited!

My favorite book is The Ultimate History of Video Games by Steve Kent, although it sounds nerdy I loved that book, I really learned a lot about the atari days, and about the more obscure consoles. Very informative and thanks to the quotes and anecdotes from the actual people involved it made the book a blast to read.

i completely agree with the davinci code/angels & demons thing. i love dan brown. i've read his other books too, digital fortress and deception point and they are both excellent as well (though not quite as good)i'm also a sucker for children's fantasy.

I don't know if anyone of you know MAEVE BINCHY. She's an Irish novelist and short story writer. I love her works to pieces!! I saw the movie Circle of Friends starring Chris O'Donnel and Minnie Driver once upon a time and I loved it. I waited for the credits to roll and discovered that it was based on a novel written by a certain Maeve Binchy. Naturally, i looked for that book and looking for it took me months. I finally got a copy from a booksale like a month later. Since then I've had more than 10 of her books in my bookshelf!

The correct term is "What are your favorite books" :( My favorite would have to be the Harry Potter series. It is hard to explain thousands of pages in a few sentances but I will do my best.Harry Potter starts out as a 10 year old boy living with the Durselys, terrible people, on his eleventh birthday he is "rescued" by Hagrid and learns that he is a wizard, and that he survived an attack by lord Voldemort, the most powerful sorcerer for 100 years. At the end of his year at school, Harry comes face to face with Voldemort. Harry esacapes agian. In his second year he faces a memory of Voldemort, however this memory is more powerful than he thinks, it can summon a basicisk, a giant serpant. Harry defeats the Basilisk and escapes agian.In his third year Harry learns that his Godfather, Serius Black, was a crimminal who betrayed his parents, however it is the other way around, Black tried to stop the betrayer, but was framed for doing it.In the fourth Book Voldemort comes back to life in full form (long story short) however no one belives Harry, with the exception of friends and teachers.In the fifth book Serius is murdered :rolleyes: but not in vain, everyone realizes Voldemort is back.The sixth book comes out July 16 :lol:

My favourite books are the Scarecrow series by Matthew Reilly (an Australian author), though I also enjoy his other books and any Sci-fi books by Michael Crichton (Prey, Jurassic Park are the best), as well as Stephen Baxter (Space, Evolution are the only ones I've read).

The Scarecrow series (Ice Station, Area 7, Scarecrow) are Action Thriller books that focus on a US Marine named Shane Schofield, call sign: Scarecrow. These books have probably the best action sequences I've ever read. Ever.

Here, take this for example (quote from Area 7):

It was as if the desert just came alive.

The dusty desert floor parted -- sand falling off canvas ambush covers -- and suddenly, from both sides of Hendricks, about a dozen man-sized shapes rose from the sand, sub-machine guns raised and firing.

A second later, a 9-millimetre Silvertip bullet entered Hendricks's brain from the side. The subsequent gaseous expansion of the hollow-pointed projectile caused his head to explode.

Hendricks never saw the man who killed him.

Never saw the dark team of desert wraiths take down the rest of his men with clinical, ruthless efficiency.

And he never saw them take his helicopter and fly it back toward Area 7.

And that's just one of the extremely mild scenes.

Prey is about a bunch of micro-machines that were accidently released and are causing chaos to a team of programmers in a factory in the desert in Nevada.

Jurassic Park, well, I'm sure you all know what Jurassic Park is about.

Space is about the discovery of aliens and a man's journey into the future, while Evolution is about the evolution of primates to humans, and then beyond (500 thousand years into the future).

I think I have three favorite books at the moment. I can't decide witch one I like the most.. A book I just read is The Shadow Of The Wind written by Carlos Ruiz Zafon. I loved the ending! I know the book tends to get pretty boring for most people after reading like half of it, but don't give up on it, I totally changed my mind after finishing it. Another book I really like is Girl With A Pearl Earring by Tracy Chevalier. You should read it even if you didn't like the movie, the book is different and much better. Another one of my favorite books, has been Angelas Ashes by Frank McCourt. Also a beautiful book. Of course there are a lot of other books I like, but I think these are my favorites. I pretty much like anything that isn't fantasy or police crime things :rolleyes:

My favorite books would have to included just about anything written by Eric Jerome Dickley and Omarr Tyree, "The Coldest Winter Ever" by Sister Solijah, "A Day Late and a Dollar Short" by Terry McMullin, and A Wrinkle in Time.

Alrighty. This is kinda weird for me to post this because I really don't read that much but there are a few that I truly love!

First of all, I really like "The Davinci Code" and "Angels and Demon's" Both outstanding books! Great plot! Unexpected endings! Kept moving to keep me interested! Very good! If you havent read either of them for any reason, religious or not, I would suggest reading them! They are great.

155411[/snapback]

I, like you, do not really like to read for entertainment. I'd rather play games or listen to music or go outside and do something physical.

However, a former teacher of mine suggested I read The Da Vinci Code a few weeks ago, and while I was reluctant to actually read for a change, I read the first few chapters and suddenly found that I simply could not put the book down. I read the entire novel in less than 2 days (which for me is quite an accomplishment).

I have yet to read "Angles and Demons" but I am looking forward to it. Although I am somewhat angry that I read The Da Vinci Code first rather than Angles and Demons, the plot in The Da Vinci Code really didn't seem to draw off the other book -- so that was a relief.

As for my other favorites, I would have to say that "A Wrinkle in Time" was an old, old favorite book of mine. I remember reading that book years ago.

Rubicon was also a good read. It was about a murder in Ancient Rome. Quite good.

Another favorite of mine is The Knights Templar. I read it a while back, perhaps a year prior to reading The Da Vinci Code. But it was really interesting, and it kept me entertained.

The aforementioned former teacher is writing a few books at the moment. They sound like they will be very interesting to read, and I am looking forward to reading his work.

My favorite series of books are probably the Foundation series from Isaac Asimov, anyone claiming to like sci-fi should read em.Next would probably be the Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy trilogy.

The correct term is "What are your favorite books"  :D

My favorite would have to be the Harry Potter series. It is hard to explain thousands of pages in a few sentances but I will do my best.

Harry Potter starts out as a 10 year old boy living with the Durselys, terrible people, on his eleventh birthday he is "rescued" by Hagrid and learns that he is a wizard, and that he survived an attack by lord Voldemort, the most powerful sorcerer for 100 years. At the end of his year at school, Harry comes face to face with Voldemort. Harry esacapes agian.

In his second year he faces a memory of Voldemort, however this memory is more powerful than he thinks, it can summon a basicisk, a giant serpant. Harry defeats the Basilisk and escapes agian.

In his third year Harry learns that his Godfather, Serius Black, was a crimminal who betrayed his parents, however it is the other way around, Black tried to stop the betrayer, but was framed for doing it.

In the fourth Book Voldemort comes back to life in full form (long story short) however no one belives Harry, with the exception of friends and teachers.

In the fifth book Serius is murdered  :rolleyes:  but not in vain, everyone realizes Voldemort is back.

The sixth book comes out July 16  :lol:

155448[/snapback]

this is a good series, very enjoyable, but you should label your posts early on if you're going to include spoilers.

---

as for my favorites:

My favorite series would be The Chronicles of Narnia by C. S. Lewis (the most famous of which is likely The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe). Good stuff and it heavily influences the Harry Potter series.

I'm also fond of Poppy Z. Brite's tales in and around Missing Mile.

My favorite books, individually, are Dodie Smith's 101 Dalmations, The Dictionary, or Poppy Z. Brite's Lost Souls.

Hmm, has anyone ever read any Stephen King books? Are they any good? I read about some of the, they all seem to incorporate alien invasions somehow :unsure:But I want to go buy some of his books, never read any of them.

anything by Robert Harris .... which ain't much cause I think he's only written 3 books to date ....

Archangel

Fatherland

& Enigma

hurry up big guy and get another one out will ya ....

I'm quite keen on stuff by Anne Tyler and Ruth Rendall .... David Baldacci is a good holiday read ....

that said, my absolute fav author will always be JRR Tolkien .... I'm a big Middle Earth fan .... will read and re-read his works forever and a day .... the perfect diversion for a hectic life ....

Posted Image

...the Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy trilogy.

156439[/snapback]

There are actually 5 books:

1. The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy

2. The Resteraunt at the End of the Universe

3. Life, the Universe and Everything

4. So Long, and Thanks for all the Fish

5. Mostly Harmless

And they are my favourite books/series.

I also like The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time by Mark Haddon.