xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Joshua

Ultimate Baseball Online What do you think of this new MMORPG

For those who've played UBO, what would you rate it?  

3 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

You can get started with Ultimate Baseball Online at http://www.ultimatebaseballonline.com/

UBO has received a lot of attention despite not advertising itself as the first MMORPG that involves sports. Like an RPG you roll for your player's stats (you get 3 players and can delete players) and can develop them by spending hard earned points (not xp, which is for leveling alone) in either improving your pitches or improving your hitting. So you can put a point into acquiring a new pitch or making an existing pitch better (up to 12 points per pitch, and you have to have certain pitches before you can get others) or you can put points into the 9 areas of the strike zone to make yourself a better hitter. You are also able to use a different type of points to improve the stats you rolled for which include batting power, running speed, throwing accuracy, etc...

For the games themselves, you play in fully 3D (they even show the mound as having actual depth to it now rather then looking like a softball one :rolleyes: ) stadiums with 3D players that looks like a game you could buy in a store. The difference being that for the time being at least UBO is 100% FREE, at least until it finishes beta testing. In games you play as one of 9 players on a team (some can be AI's or computer players) against another team of 9, and all 18 players can be other human opponents. You gain stats from games and UBO is highly community based as well, since like real baseball you are only 1 player on the diamond, and your teammates must rely on you, like it or not.

The UBO several months ago was excellent and took up way too much of my time, but then ESPN bought out UBO from the parent company, NetAmin, and started building everything again from scratch. Some of the changes included lag during batting so that you have to swing very early as well as strike zone problems so that you have to stay away from certain areas of the zone and always hit accuracy to avoid certain bugs. I haven't checked back in a while now because I was fed up with the bugs and missed the old UBO but there are an awful lot of UBO players who love the new UBO, so... And there are of course more and more coming to UBO as it gets more and more attention. It might only be in beta for as little as another month or 2 though.

I didnt know that it was possible to have a baseball game to be an RPG. It must be crazy. But if i were to do it i would use basketball. You can become more creative with that. Just my opinion

I didnt know that it was possible to have a baseball game to be an RPG. It must be crazy. But if i were to do it i would use basketball. You can become more creative with that. Just my opinion

156650[/snapback]

They've talked about it before. Football wouldn't work too well because of the use of formations and participation, and not moving over the sides before the snap. Plus you'd probably get 10 offsides and 15 roughing penalties a play :unsure: They were saying basketball and hockey might do well as rpg's though.

This game is no for me! Ii batter play normal baseball or madden! Madden is mach more better!

158116[/snapback]

So Hotart, you must be the first player I've met before who is actively opposed to the idea of multiplayer rather than singleplayer games... Interesting that you can even abide the idea of forums then... And by "normal baseball" do you mean just singleplayer baseball games or baseball outside not involving video games?