xisto Community
MBERRY69

Oxygen Bars Discussing Oxygen Bars

I was just curious to see how many posters had ever been to an oxygen bar, and what they thought of it. I recently went to Vegas and went to a couple of them and thought they were so great, that I'd try to start one or a few up in the Greater Chicagoland area. Just checking to see if they are at all popular with the people on this great forum. Let me know you thoughts and input, please.Thanks Much,Jay Blast

What's wrong with the oxygen you're breathing now?? If it's bad, then go to the country and try it there.Besides, I heard that oxygen bars are bad for you anyway. I don't remember why, but I saw it on a television show....

AFAIK we're talking about bars whereyou can get oxygen instead of booze; like you sit on your chair and get an oxygen mask instead of a glass... Something like this: http://www.portalmarket.com/

I don't know exactly why oxygen bars should be bad but I don't trust this concept (maybe I'll start one in the next major city? :rolleyes:).
My first instinct is that the body gets used to the elevated availability of oxygen and you'll suffer some kind of withdrawal syndroms when you stop pushing your body with oxygen;
my second thought, when I read some experience reports about oxygen bars, was that most people don't even notice that there's something wrong in their environment. They used the oxygen for medical purposes without realizing that - and just because it worked, they're going to do it again. well, seems to be easier than changing your way of life...

I hope these things are well tested and they know what they are doing. Cause, prolonged inhalation of oxygen can be injurious to health.

Medically, as OpaQue said, O2 bars aren't very safe, I read a study somewhere that says prolonged exposure to pure oxygen had lead to deaths and also internal injuries. I'm happy with the air that I'm breathing now.

From what I read on Wikipedia, it seems that oxygen bars are only dangerous to people with respiratory ailments, or when scents are added to the oxygen-heavy air.

Also, I've only heard good things from people who have been there.

So do these Oxygen Bars give you some sort of high?I've never been to one, I'll have to go into Dallas one of these days and try it out..

hehe ;Dopaque, whyme: thanks for the hints ... that reminds me of a short excourse in my diving theory lessons where we've been told that diving with pure oxygen in the bottle is a pretty safe way to die while diving if you don't use a Rebreather (some expensive device which simply filters the new carbon dioxide out of the air you exhale and replaces it with oxygen from your bottle) because there's something about the partial pressure of oxygen in the air you breathe which always has to be something around the normal level; though I don't really get why pure oxygen can be used for medical breathing purposes but not for diving [no, I won't give it a try]...