xisto Community
Saint_Michael

shtml does anyone still use it

back in myhay days of designnig i saw alot of website doing the shtml format before php and asp came into full. if people still use especially in php would it be still higly recommended to drp shtml and go stright to php or implement shtml into php or html doc?

back in myhay days of designnig i saw alot of website doing the shtml format before php and asp came into full.  if people still use especially in php would it be still higly recommended to drp shtml and go stright to php or implement shtml into php or html doc?

I have never used it o_O I use .xxx for just html just php and both >_> its mine! html works in it by default and php does cuz I added something to .htaccess so it would.
What exactly IS .shtml?
Edited by Triple X (see edit history)

back in myhay days of designnig i saw alot of website doing the shtml format before php and asp came into full.  if people still use especially in php would it be still higly recommended to drp shtml and go stright to php or implement shtml into php or html doc?

man i have neaver hord of it man what teh heck is it. i only use html/php/css or what ever it is lol and i stink so i don't really know what i am talking about. so was it better wrost than html. i think it woudl be wrost jsut becuase it is older and all. i may try to build a site for it if i can find how to make any thing with it lol.... ok will i willl see ya guys i g2g ttly

shtml has been out for a few years but least i forget most of the member have not be laid yet so thier we go. if you apache for your website shtml is where you use it. its more like a server doc then a regular html so we go thats shtml

I was actually just thinking about shtml'ing my pages since I don't know php.

shtml is handy when you need to add the same information to a lot of pages, like a menu or a disclaimer. you would put the html code that is on all of your pages into a file, say, called "menu.txt". Then, in your regular html page where you want the menu to go you would put in:

<!--#include file="menu.txt" -->

Then be sure to save your page with an .shtml extension. with shtml, much like with .css you can change a bunch of pages just by editing one file.

I use SSI on all of my web pages. SSI replaces frames and is much better. SSI can only be used of .shtml pages. If you have frames on your site I strongly suggest that you switch to SSI and .shtml.

I use SSI on all of my web pages. SSI replaces frames and is much better. SSI can only be used of .shtml pages. If you have frames on your site I strongly suggest that you switch to SSI and .shtml.

I also use SSI to feed random quotes and jokes in my site!It is great and I do this as I am not very familiar with PHP or asp.
Googlue!

yeah somebody knows about shtml migt start with it once i get the html editor can you say dreamweaver coffecup :)

all i have ever seen of shtml is in the address bar as i browsed some sites. I only know html and am planning to learn php but not shtml

all i have ever seen of shtml is in the address bar as i browsed some sites. I only know html and am planning to learn php but not shtml

I dont think that shtml should be incorporated into PHP and ASP. It still has its own function in web designing and has other types of websites which it is still used for. And it is not advisable to drop shtml. It is a good scripting lang and has its uses in web designing and other applications too.