xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
elusive-shadows

Viruses Something I heard...

I was just wondering, have any of you heard that if you leave your computer on too long, it's easier for viruses to get in? One of my friends mentioned it, but it didn;t seem to make much sense. And I leave my computer on a LOT, so... :rolleyes:

I do not know, I leave my computer on over night and day and now everytime I try to do something it kicks me off the computer and restarts it I dont know if thats something wrong with the computer or is it a virus ?

Basically, it's not about leaving your computer on. It's about leaving your internet connection on. And yes, in some cases it's true that if you leave your internet connection on for too long your computer is more prone to viruses, spywares, adwards, and stuff of those sort. And it also depends the way you use your computer. I mean the software you install. Software that run in your background (like Kazaa) will have more probability of acquiring a virus than a computer without one. Post a reply if you need more explanation. Hope this helped.

:rolleyes:

Yes, thanks, it makes more sense now. And M67, you're not really supposed to leave your computer on that long, it's bad for it. That's probably why it's having problems. You should try running a virus scan anyway, and maybe use hibernate(if you're using Windows XP) instead of leaving it on.

That's is an interesting question and although I wouldn't be able to answer it 100% I would think that it is extremely unlikely as viruses "get in" through activity on the internet. You would have to actively be doing something on the internet, thus retrieving data for a virus to get onto your system. Although if you have spyware running, the spyware may also allow viruses in as they connect to servers at particular times or in particular intervals. The easiest way to prevent it would be to disconnect from the web or enable a firewall that lets nothing in or nothing out of your system when you are not active on the computer itself. Would anybody else here agree with me?

Hi all,
Yup, its not how long your connected to the net that matters .. it's HOW your connected & WHAT programs your using to connect that create the security problem.
re:

The easiest way to prevent it would be to disconnect from the web or enable a firewall that lets nothing in or nothing out of your system when you are not active on the computer itself. Would anybody else here agree with me?

This is entirely accurate. One of the best ways to protect your self is a firewall + (plus) actively scanning antivirus software. Even better is a hardware firewall Plus a software firewall Plus a anti-virus program.
If anyone needs quick links for software firewalls (some free) you can check out the "links" page at my website.
Also, DON"T use software that been proven to have security "leaks"/vulnerabilities,,etc....Like IE , Kazza (& other file sharing proggies) IMs & others.
Also.. scan ALL downloads BEFORE you click on them-ALWAYS.
Never.. click on e-mail attachments before scanning with antiv-rus programs first.
Hope this helps :rolleyes:
RGPHNX

I was just wondering, have any of you heard that if you leave your computer on too long, it's easier for viruses to get in?  One of my friends mentioned it, but it didn;t seem to make much sense.  And I leave my computer on a LOT, so... :rolleyes:

153888[/snapback]

Leaving your computer doesn't mean virus will come next... It depends, virus and computer user is not semilar like cats and mouse. Maybe is just so happen that when your friend leave his/her computer virus was executed, but it is not the reason because he/she leave it open. maybe the virus was there for a long time and just waiting until it's trigger point was reached and executed the command. There are many times I leave my own and yet no virus was in when I was out...

Maybe one of the trigger point of some virus is when you leave the computer and no activity was detected. it could be one of many...

anyway, what's the name of that virus?:lol:

Any time your computer is left on for a long period of time, and as long as it's plugged into the Internet, there is always a chance for a hacker to exploit it. It doesn't necessarily matter how much security or firewalls you add, all computers are vulnerable to a certain extent. No computer is ever 100% completely safe, and that's my point. Turning it off when you are gone for a period of time would be a good idea, and it would save a lot of power and money.

I was just wondering, have any of you heard that if you leave your computer on too long, it's easier for viruses to get in?  One of my friends mentioned it, but it didn;t seem to make much sense.  And I leave my computer on a LOT, so... :unsure:

153888[/snapback]

I don't think this will exist, if there is viruses that triggers when computer was idle, how about those servers that sometime idle for all times... maybe just occasional cases but not really in this case. Maybe when your computer was idle and virus was reach it's triggered point to execute. I don't hear anyviruses attack the computer when it is idle for a long time...

Better turn off your machine, then Viruses can't attack to u! Many of people use firewalls to solf this problem! U can do just like many peoples do or turn off! :unsure:

Better turn off your machine, then Viruses can't attack to u! Many of people  use firewalls to solf this problem! U can do just like many peoples do or turn off! :D

157768[/snapback]

Maybe you're right, today, if you want your computer out from the virus attack, turn it off. I gurantee that safe... but your business may not...

Anyway, don't be scared of computer virus, I'm sure as individual we're not worried about virus attacked.. many forms of viruses are available now, even those programs know to be virus free can turn your pc down, just take everything in moderation, remember over used of computer can damaged your internal hardware as well as your internal organs... so be aware that moderation is the best.. :unsure:

I don't think this will exist, if there is viruses that triggers when computer was idle, how about those servers that sometime idle for all times... maybe just occasional cases but not really in this case.  Maybe when your computer was idle and virus was reach it's triggered point to execute. I don't hear anyviruses attack the computer when it is idle for a long time...

157760[/snapback]

Yes you are correct.There is no viruses that is active when the computer is idle.We can say that a virus is active or the system is more prone to attack,if you are connected to the internet for a long time ,Eventhough you update your antivirus there is still no gurantee that your computer is safe.