xisto Community
Dragonfly

Yahoo! Mail Warns Me, Please Help *DETECTED* Online User Violation (true?)

I'm receiving the folloing quoted messages from mail@yahoo.com with zip file as an attachment. I am quite disturbed with the message. Could this message be true Or should I ignore it? As far as my knowledge is concerned I have never sent any spam messages using my yahoo mail account. And I hate spam messages too. What if they eventually close down my yahoo email ID!!  :) Does anyone get the same message? The thing is that this mail reaches to my Junk mailbox too. Please give your opinion!

153800[/snapback]

I too got same message.The attachment is a virus and you can ignore it.

yeah, It sure is a fake coz Yahoo would never send an attachment and ask you to go through it or fill it up. If it was genuine communication, it would have redirected you to some page on yahoo or something like that.Moreover chances are that if they find an account that is spamming and they are sure of it, I think they would just shut it down instead of sending mail to each user/ may be when the user logs in, they would show a page or request for info or user agreement or whatever was supposedly in the attachment.So I think you can relax and ignore the message.Cheers.

I'm receiving the folloing quoted messages from mail@yahoo.com with zip file as an attachment. .. The thing is that this mail reaches to my Junk mailbox too. Please give your opinion!

153800[/snapback]

Could you please tell us what the originating IP for trhis message that I can check whois.

Don't open it! Many people will gat a yahoo address that says, noreply@yahoo, or supporthelp@yahoo. Yahoo doesn't filter out their own email. I would contact yahoo at their support address and verify that the email came from them. Worse comes to worse, you can always make a new account. It is better then crashing you computer!

I just got one, YAY!

Dear Yahoo Member,

Your e-mail account was used to send a huge amount of unsolicited spam messages during the recent week. If you could please take 5-10 minutes out of your online experience and confirm the attached document so you will not run into any future problems with the online service.

If you choose to ignore our request, you leave us no choice but to cancel your membership.

Virtually yours,

The Yahoo Support Team

Same thing... but mine got sent from support@yahoo.com. I know how people hack into mail servers and use a different address. This is most definitely a hoax. Also, I saw that the zips were already scanned saying that it is free of viruses, but hey, I'm not that curious to see for myself. I didn't see a blue highlight, as BuffaloHELP suggested. Most definitely a hoax. But still, I kinda like it when people send me hoaxes... :) Yup, I most definitely am weird!

Notice from BuffaloHELP:
Edited as reported.

Edited by BuffaloHELP (see edit history)

Any one who has recieved such a message in thier Yahoo mail would do well to ignore it. If you had done what the message claims yahoo would have terminated you for a TOS violation with out contacting you. If you think that certain email addresses are safe, they are not, they can be spoofed.Glaive.

Thats the same people!!! I got the same messege on Excite.com Look!

Message is not flagged. [ Flag for Follow Up ]

Date:  Wed, 27 Jul 2005 19:34:12 -0400

[ Add to Address Book | Block Address | Report as Spam ]

To:  <mastermind3454@excite.com>

Subject:  *DETECTED* Online User Violation

Dear Excite Member,

Your e-mail account was used to send a huge amount of unsolicited spam messages during the recent week. If you could please take 5-10 minutes out of your online experience and confirm the attached document so you will not run into any future problems with the online service.

If you choose to ignore our request, you leave us no choice but to cancel your membership.

Virtually yours,

The Excite Support Team

And it has a attached file, but I didn't open it.

Its the SAME thing.

Also look. On Exicte it warns you!

Warning about @excite.com Scam Emails

Some Excite email users have recently received messages from an "@excite.com" email address stating such false information as:

The user's account has been suspended
The Excite Mail servers are down
Outgoing virus emails are being sent by the user's account and a virus scan is needed
In every case, the user is then told to open the attached file to remedy the situation. The attached file is a virus.
Please know that you will NEVER receive an email from The Excite Team that comes from an @excite.com email address. Should you receive one, please delete it immediately.

Notice from BuffaloHELP:
Copied from http://help.excite.com/email/excitescam.html without using QUOTE tags. Warning issued.

Edited by BuffaloHELP (see edit history)

Haha, it's pretty obvious it's a scam, but it may seem believable to newbies, as my mail got sent from... ^_^support@yahoo.com I know how people can spoof email adresses, so of course, me, knowing that I never did anything wrong, assumed it's a spam. It has spam written all over it. ^_^

Well I dont think you shuld Ingnore it beacuse you may have got spyware or a virus, trojan. That sends out spam if you use an e-mail client such as Outlook Express or something else. So first search you computer for spyware and viruses and then if you dont find anything then say that you dident do anything. ^_^

For those who are curious about what Yahoo's official email looks like on your Yahoo's account, here it is.

Posted Image

Yahoo has assured me that as far as they can tell, all Yahoo's official mail will have that blue highlight with Y! icon present. And they will not send you an email unless you make the first contact. I have small business account with them so they send me monthly message.

So use this as your reference, however, Yahoo may contact you if your account address is involved in mass spamming. But that's still a remote chance since Yahoo has implemented "mail originator" protocol where a hidden headline can verify if it was actually sent by Yahoo or not.

I've been receiving these kind of e-mails for awhile now too. And everytime I see them i just just delete them without even bothering to click them. The messages written in the e-mail are just as fake as my grandfather's teeths. :)

I've been receiving these kind of e-mails for awhile now too. And everytime I see them i just just delete them without even bothering to click them. The messages written in the e-mail are just as fake as my grandfather's teeths. :)

208049[/snapback]

don't just delete them, REPORT them while attatching the full header info. the more people that don't report these hacker scumbags, the more chaos and or viruses will be spread.