xisto Community
Dawid

Video Capture & Edit Software

Hi everybody, I was just wondering if anybody knew of any free software out there which one could use to easily edit several video file formats. I've got tons of clips from my digital camera and would like to put some of them together with some music and captions and things like that. Transitions and stuff would also be very cool. I've started using Adobe Premier but am just really not in the mood to learn it as it seems a bit complex, very powerful I'm sure but not exactly what I'm looking for. Thanks a lot!

If you are using Windows XP (any version) you will find that Microsoft has included Movie Maker (update the version through Windows Update site). It is one of the best starting programs that I teach and recommend to my clients. Almost all effects, i.e. adding fade in, out, flip transition, are self-explanatory. Adding multiple clips to switch from one scene to another is easily done. Adding multiple soundtracks is as simple as click, drop, and paste. Once you get used to the idea of video editing, you will have no trouble navigating through Adobe Premiere. Remember, the fundamental ideas are the same; the only difference is the command name.For you to handle multiple formats I would suggest getting a file format converter, such as TMPGEnc (free ware). The process of handling multiple formats, i.e. avi, divx, xvid, mpg, mpeg, are easier when you convert all of them to the format that you are comfortable. Windows Movie Maker will handle avi and mpeg files without a problem. The rest formats, you should find a converter that can change, let's say, divx to avi or divx to mpg(mpeg). If you are going to save them as a file only (and not burn them to DVD disc), consider downloading free Windows Media 9 Encoder. It will convert any high-quality files and compress as small as divx can but, you can add Dolby 5.1 to Media 9 Encoder.Furthermore, for your digital camera, I believe most formats are in mov (unless you have Canon which is mpeg). All you need to do then (if files are not in mpeg) find a converter from mov to avi or mov to mpeg(or mpg). Search for those and they are readily available. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Thanks so much! I completely forgot about windows movie maker- it should do the trick and from what I understand is very low on CPU usage compared to others. The only thing I need to do now is what you said, find a convertor to change from mov to avi or whichever format is compatible with movie maker. I doubt that would be too hard to find- that's the joy of the internet, anything you want to do, chances are somebody else has had the same thing in mind and the solution is at the tip of your fingers.

Hi everybody, I was just wondering if anybody knew of any free software out there which one could use to easily edit several video file formats. I've got tons of clips from my digital camera and would like to put some of them together with some music and captions and things like that. Transitions and stuff would also be very cool. I've started using Adobe Premier but am just really not in the mood to learn it as it seems a bit complex, very powerful I'm sure but not exactly what I'm looking for. Thanks a lot!

153679[/snapback]

i think the software you are looking for is this one

TMPEG ENC

http://www.tmpgenc.net/

this software allows you to convert almost any type of video files to mpeg.

or try this one

Mov convertor software

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

i think the name gaves a good description ... mov -> any type

other good program to convert formats is this one

eo video 2.0

http://www.eo-video.com/

in general all what this programs do is to convert the video of any format to another ...

by the way if you want to make transitions, add music etc etc ... some easy programs you can try are the "ulead video studio" or "pinnacle studio 9" both of the are very friendly suer programs with an easy interface and non complex editing style ...

good luck with your videos!

:rolleyes:

On Linux I use Kino. It has editing functions (easy to use) and can capture via a firewire port easily and well supported.Also, has several plugins and can handle multiple formats.Finally, is open-source which (in my opinion) one of the best advantages.Cheers.