xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
theconman

Building Your Own Computer... Any reason?

I know a lot of people who build their own computers, and most people on forums have custom PCs too. Are there any benefits to doing this? I know that if your a gamer, a custom computer is the way to go because you get better performance or whatever... but I'm not a gamer. So don't tell me about that.I want to get into music producing, so what would do for that? Like would there be certain parts that would be needed that aren't as necessary in others? I'm thinking about buying a turntable to so I can cut up and scratch records like a real DJ, but since I'm a loser I want to be able to edit on the computer too. Are there any PC turntables that I can use with actual records and have the results on the computer? That'd be awesome, but I dont know if its possible...If you could post a recipe for the computer I'm looking to build that would be awesome. Just a basic computer that is strong enough to handle a music player (WinAMP), microsoft word, AIM, and an Internet Explorer, plus being able to use Acid/Fruity Loops/Reason, or one of those PC beat producers, all at the same time.And if that can all be done with a store bought computer, let me know about that too...

Actually, making a custom pc isnt hard at all. I get all my stuff off new egg. The only thing really, is making sure your Mobo supports the video card, and memory along with the CPU fits right. (it will say) As for wiring, its all labled. You get alot more for your money if you make your own.

I know a lot of people who build their own computers, and most people on forums have custom PCs too. Are there any benefits to doing this?

I know that if your a gamer, a custom computer is the way to go because you get better performance or whatever... but I'm not a gamer. So don't tell me about that.

I want to get into music producing, so what would do for that? Like would there be certain parts that would be needed that aren't as necessary in others?

I'm thinking about buying a turntable to so I can cut up and scratch records like a real DJ, but since I'm a loser I want to be able to edit on the computer too. Are there any PC turntables that I can use with actual records and have the results on the computer? That'd be awesome, but I dont know if its possible...

If you could post a recipe for the computer I'm looking to build that would be awesome. Just a basic computer that is strong enough to handle a music player (WinAMP), microsoft word, AIM, and an Internet Explorer, plus being able to use Acid/Fruity Loops/Reason, or one of those PC beat producers, all at the same time.

And if that can all be done with a store bought computer, let me know about that too...

153412[/snapback]

Custom computers is not really for gaming.

Like my own, I like games, Music and doing programs. I used to setup my own PC's to fits what I am expected. If you have enough peny to customize your computer then go for it...

it will bring you satisfaction and less headache,, he he he...

Imagine if today you are using 386 or 486 computer? how can you feel about this???

See,,, building computers is not depend on how you will gonna used the PC's but the things is what is your expecting for your PC...:P

:P

I can't really help you here but building your own comp you gotta know advance things in computer stufff, wire something wrong well you know wat will happen...

153418[/snapback]

back in the 486 days you may have had the chance to wire something wrong but even then it was slim.

Today everything is color coded and there is no way you can wire something wrong. All the jacks and connectors are different inside a computer and only fit the things they are designed to fit. Its pretty simple actually, all you need is patience, some proper tools and no static!

As for the turntables, there are actually programs which emulate them as well as hardware that is plugged into computers too. I don't know the specifics but I know they exist. Also for the computer what you'll need is a professional sound card, the rest is not very important. Soundblasters are supported by virtually everything but there are real pro cards out there like Maya.

If you're really going to get into music, I recommend getting some Intel Pentium4 processor, say about 2.4GHz, 512Megs RAM, and as large hard drive you can buy :PAs for turntables, most professional truntables (like Pioneer) have some form of digital output or something. But, there is a great little thingy Hercules made, it'a mixing console, for mixing MP3's, like records. It looks exactly like a turntable, and even acts as a sound card when installed. It's not too expensive, it was about $100 when I looked at it, and performs quite well. If you are buying a sound card, get SoundBlaster Audigy2 Platinum, it's great for such uses.All in all, you don't need cutting edge computer, to get into music production. I can run and edit sound in Reason/Sound Forge and similar programs on my Celeron 2.6 with 512MB ram, so... You will do just fine with Pentium 4, it's even better than my own machine :PHope I helped a bit...

I know a lot of people who build their own computers, and most people on forums have custom PCs too. Are there any benefits to doing this?

I know that if your a gamer, a custom computer is the way to go because you get better performance or whatever... but I'm not a gamer. So don't tell me about that.

I want to get into music producing, so what would do for that? Like would there be certain parts that would be needed that aren't as necessary in others?

I'm thinking about buying a turntable to so I can cut up and scratch records like a real DJ, but since I'm a loser I want to be able to edit on the computer too. Are there any PC turntables that I can use with actual records and have the results on the computer? That'd be awesome, but I dont know if its possible...

If you could post a recipe for the computer I'm looking to build that would be awesome. Just a basic computer that is strong enough to handle a music player (WinAMP), microsoft word, AIM, and an Internet Explorer, plus being able to use Acid/Fruity Loops/Reason, or one of those PC beat producers, all at the same time.

And if that can all be done with a store bought computer, let me know about that too...

153412[/snapback]

Seems we like having another musician here...

Here's what I suggest for a PC that processes music stuffs...

Pentium 4 2.4GHz or higher

512 MB RAM, recommended 1GB

nVidia G-Force series graphics card or anything cheap

Creative recommended soundcards

Amplifyers / 7.2 Surround Sound speakers ... Creative brand prefered

Cakewalk Studio software

Synthesizer device

Still on your own choice...

Creative ain't the best soundcard when it comes to professional music creation. It is a gamer's card, there are cards I briefly referred to above which are way more advanced for that subject.And what is it with people recommending pentium4s and Gforces etc... anything else will do as long as the soundcard is good enough.

I would recommend AMD for it's better cycling and is cheaper....As for the audiocard I can only recommend Soundblaster because I don't know anything better...as for a cheap videocard you might get a mobo with an intergrated via/intel/s3 videocard. The higher the memory, the less lockups your PC will have meaning the faster and cleaner sound is being processed (Oh god, the rendertime in fruityloops!) As for on your side a scratcher from pioneers, a set of custom-made speakers and a synthesizer of casio will do if you're on a tight budget.

A little bit off topic but not to much.... I was wondering If i was to build a gaming computer say with a 128 mb card, 512 ram and a fast processor and all the other goodies how much would i save by building my own? Oh and lastly really off topic what does overclocking your video cards and how dangerious is it if u dont know what your doing.

Websites that carry computer components:
newegg
zipzoomfly
tigerdirect
thenerds.net

i've gotten stuff from all of them, they are all pretty good. i especially like zipzoomfly because there is usually free 2nd day shipping on most things. tigerdirect is so so because shipping is usually a lot more.

sometimes at techbargains.com there are rebates and specials.

oh yeah, be sure to check out compusa's weekly ad. a couple weeks ago i got a 160gb ata hd for only 29.99 after rebates. that was really good deal

on my computer i have the sound blaster audigy 2 z5 platinum, it has a front bay that has mic input (it has two 1/2 input jacks) , headphone jacks, midi input and output, and tons of other features
if you are into that type of stuff check out soundblaster cards because they have a lot of different models that have front bays

Audigy 2 series
audigy 4 pro

good luck

Hmm, well I would recommend Intel P4 with Hyper-Threading. There are so many different types of chips out there, but remember, the expensive ones don't always get the most bang for the buck. As for the motherboards, I have been using ASUS for a while and am very satisfied. Since you want to get into the whole music thing, get a good sound card, but not the most expensive ones, since they tend to have many features that you will never use. Make sure that you have good audio connections on your sound card so when you are recording you will get the best sound quality possible. One tip, don't get a motherboard with an integrated video card; usually they suck and disabling them can sometimes be a problem. So, yes, I do recommend building a custom pc built to your specifications and needs. It's always easy to go back and upgrade your pc in the future and not worry about it being incompatible or voiding your warranty. Anyways, good luck with getting a new pc and if you have any questions please feel free to ask.

There are many reasons as to why you should build your own computer. Some say that the era of building your own PC is ending, but others beg to differ that, "it just started."Personally, I have bought my computers from vendors from the past. However, given the benefits, I think I might as well take up building my own computer. The benefits are as followed:1) Configurations that suits your needs.2) You know exactly what is in it.3) You assembled it, so you can easily disassemble it in the future for upgrades.4) Much cheaper.5) It generally sports no brands.6) Your computer. Your style.Brand name computers such as Dell, HP, Gateway, can cost twice as much, for half the configuration. Dell and the other vendors are generally more expensive because you are buying the brand.Even though Dell boasts to be extraordinarly cheap, it is not. In comparison to other brand vendors, it is, but vying against Cyberpower, or Ibuypower, it is not.Cyberpower and IBuyPower are totally customisable PC made by-you, for-you. You choose everything down to the Motherboard, Chip, Memory, and even Brands.If you prefer to go solo, I would recommend buyin the parts from either CyberPower, IBuyPower, Newegg, etc.It is generally the cheapest way, but if you are twitched at the sight of wires dangling, then go to Cyberpower, Ibuypower. They build it for you, as well as assemble it for you.

Also, I forgot to add. The following brands are deemed the "industry-best" for the mainstream buyers.Motherboards: ASUS (P5ND2)Case: Pentium D (64-bit) Dual Core.Graphics: GeForce 6 Series.. (6200, 6600, 6800)Harddrive: Western Digital 200GBCase: Cotytech ATX Mid-Tower (LP Model)These are solely opinions. Research is recommended.