xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
rvovk

How To Make Super Macro Photos ...aka poors man macro...

First thing we need is some range of compact digital camera with manual focus capatibilities. (I am yet not sure if this tehnique is working with AF - auto focus). Canon G3 is nice camera for this task :P

Posted Image

Next thing we need is extension tube for filter and additional lenses, for Canon G3 we can get tube with 58mm filter thread to attach prime lens to the extension tube.

Posted Image

Prime lens is lens with fixed focal lenght, I have used Canon 50mm/f1.8 II lens for this task which did its job quite well. We will make it reversed, which means we will turn is backwards and attach it to extension tube.

Posted Image

To attach reversed (in wrong direction) prime lens to extension tube we need reverse ring in this case we need step down from 58mm to 52mm. Why? Cause extension tube has 58mm filter thread and prime lens have 52mm filter thread and reverse ring will do its job as coupler. I don't have this coupler yet and I hope to get it in the future.

Alltogether should look like this on next picture.

Posted Image

You wonder what will our object be for this supermacro photage. Well a slovenian coin with bull image (Taurus Taurus). This coin has width of one inch or 2.5 centimeter. In our supermacro we will make a photo of taurus's head.

Posted Image

Oke, we set manual focus to infinity, set aperture size on G3 to F8.0, on board flash ON, focusing the object with getting closer to object or going away with lenses and when we see object on LCD display is in focus we press shutter.

And result is....

Posted Image

I would say not bad footage for 100$ prime lens and G3 camera which has somehow normal macro capatibilites which we extended to supermacro or "poor's" man macro.

I hope you did enjoy this article.