xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
green fairy

Fozen Ice Man Tutorial in Photoshop

Here I will show you how to create a simple freeze effect on images. It is much easier than you would think.

1) Open the image you want to freeze. I will be using this myself:

Posted Image

2) Go to Image -> Rotate Canvas -> 90CCW

3) Go Filter -> Stylize -> Wind. Make shore you have these settings:

Posted Image

4) Now go to Image -> Rotate Canvas -> 90CW to rotate the image back to normal.

5) Press Ctrl + u to make the hue/saturation box appear.

6) Use these settings fore hue/saturation:

Posted Image

That's all! :P

Here's my result:

Posted Image

You can do this with all other sort of images, but I think it looks best when the background is black. Try using different landscapes too. You can even freeza a cat with this method:

Posted ImagePosted Image

How awesome is this? Now I know how to create my Iceman! I'm assuming this can be done with text as well?

I like the first picture but, not sure about the frozen kitty. Poor thing...

I believe you should start with a black (or at least a solid) background. Otherwise the background will be affected by this frozen/bleeding effect. You can then, clear the background color (background eraser) and use it to overlay on any background you choose.

Here is a sample of what I did with my Photoshop CS.

Posted Image

With text, just as I thought, you should flatten the layers otherwise the full bleeding (wind effect) will not continue beyond the text boundary. I started with the ice color for the font instead of Hue saturation. And the effects were slightly different for CS than the previous versions of Photoshop. I managed to "lengthen" the ice effect by adjusting the brightness and contrast levels. It also seems to me that if the picture you are working on is rendered or a 3D image, the affect is greater and more dramatic! I guess that's whey Hue saturation comes in handy.

Very nice effect, indeed.

Dude, normally I don't go around thanking people by posting because some mods pick them up as spam around these parts, but this is really helpful and the effect is really cool. Thanks a lot.

How awesome is this? Now I know how to create my Iceman! I'm assuming this can be done with text as well?

I like the first picture but, not sure about the frozen kitty. Poor thing...

I believe you should start with a black (or at least a solid) background. Otherwise the background will be affected by this frozen/bleeding effect. You can then, clear the background color (background eraser) and use it to overlay on any background you choose.

Here is a sample of what I did with my Photoshop CS.

Posted Image

With text, just as I thought, you should flatten the layers otherwise the full bleeding (wind effect) will not continue beyond the text boundary. I started with the ice color for the font instead of Hue saturation. And the effects were slightly different for CS than the previous versions of Photoshop. I managed to "lengthen" the ice effect by adjusting the brightness and contrast levels. It also seems to me that if the picture you are working on is rendered or a 3D image, the affect is greater and more dramatic! I guess that's whey Hue saturation comes in handy.

Very nice effect, indeed.

153362[/snapback]

What you should do is put the text on a transparent backround and post it in your profile it looks cool you should try it if yu didnt yet. Also nice tutorial :P

Wow...this stuff is really cool. I like the effect with the text part. I think it has better potential using it with text than on normal photographs or pictures.Photoshop is sure powerful....Cool tutorial. Way to go man!-Shackman

Nicenness I have been looking for something like that for quite a while for a ice themed signiture. Very nice find and do you have to make the backround a solid? :rolleyes: can it be a gradiant and as for it working in Gimp the only thing I would think is getting the Photoshop Version of Gimp

It seems to me that I need to get myself a copy of photoshop. This is a pretty neat tutorial, and I have quite a few things I'd like to freeze >:-|.