xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
hulunes

Seek Linux plz offer me some info

hey to comp fans here,to be curious and exciting,i want to try the operating system linux,how about it? :P because windows products and Mac os covers the most of os software market in my area,i am very strange to linux till now. :( althought i am well up in windows series not only os self but also some program design which can run base on windows...i really strange to linux ,a laity of linux world.i have ever heared about linux ,the interface of which is extremly similar to windows,but more awesome from shape or function.i wanna install a kind of linux version on my laptop besides windows Xp,so do you guys kindly tell me where to download a pirate version and offer me some advice about linux os.thx, :P

I will probably write a more detailed reply when I have the time, sorry for the rushed one here...

There is no need to go for a pirated versions, especially when you can download the official OS from their website. Please look at their official site for more info. That should get you off to a decent start on what the os is all about.

Maybe giving us technical details regarding your system will help. You intend to partition your disk, if I understand right. I've never tried linux with XP before, so I wouldn't know the exact details, although I am sure others here will provide the relevant support. For the moment, hope you enjoyed the website :P

Cheers, and keep us posted!

Yes, asking for a pirated version of linux is a bit like SpongeBob stealing a balloon on national free balloon day.

You will need to decide on a distribution however. There are several "live" distributions that let you try out linux by booting and running off of a CD - let's you kick the tires and run around the block without having to touch your hard drive.

I've had good luck with knoppix http://www.knoppix.org/ and ubuntu https://www.ubuntu.com/

Good luck

hey to comp fans here,to be curious and exciting,i want to try the operating system linux,how about it? :P

because windows products and Mac os covers the most of os software market in my area,i am very strange to linux till now. :( althought i am well up in windows series not only os self but also some program design which can run base on windows...i really strange to linux ,a laity of linux world.i have ever heared about linux ,the interface of which is extremly similar to windows,but more awesome from shape or function.

i wanna install a kind of linux version on my laptop besides windows Xp,so do you guys kindly tell me where to download a pirate version and offer me some advice about linux os.

thx, :P

153240[/snapback]

LINUX???

Honestly I don't used linux before since I became Computer addict...

I heard so many things about linux, but just heard, never experience it myselft...

My friend used linux in their office, He set it up as internet server, he told me to used linux for my internet server in my office. I like his suggestion because he experience it already, but I don't know how to use it, that is why I stick in windows 2003 server till now...

I know the time will come that i will use linux, maybe on my own pc's or in my works....

I hope if that time comes, I know linux already or else... he he he.,.

no option but to....

learn LINUX.. right????

;)

I will probably write a more detailed reply when I have the time, sorry for the rushed one here...

There is no need to go for a pirated versions, especially when you can download the official OS from their website. Please look at their official site for more info. That should get you off to a decent start on what the os is all about.

Maybe giving us technical details regarding your system will help. You intend to partition your disk, if I understand right. I've never tried linux with XP before, so I wouldn't know the exact details, although I am sure others here will provide the relevant support. For the moment, hope you enjoyed the website

Cheers, and keep us posted!

thx mama_soap to show your view.i'd like to download a offical version than pirate one...i really do not know that linux offer real free to users.

Yes, asking for a pirated version of linux is a bit like SpongeBob stealing a balloon on national free balloon day.

You will need to decide on a distribution however. There are several "live" distributions that let you try out linux by booting and running off of a CD - let's you kick the tires and run around the block without having to touch your hard drive.

I've had good luck with knoppix http://www.knoppix.org/ and ubuntu http://www.ubuntu.com/

Good luck

well,i agree with you now...i will have a try linux on my pc after download it. :P

LINUX???

Honestly I don't used linux before since I became Computer addict...

I heard so many things about linux, but just heard, never experience it myselft...

My friend used linux in their office, He set it up as internet server, he told me to used linux for my internet server in my office. I like his suggestion because he experience it already, but I don't know how to use it, that is why I stick in windows 2003 server till now...

I know the time will come that i will use linux, maybe on my own pc's or in my works....

I hope if that time comes, I know linux already or else... he he he.,.

no option but to....

hehe...looks like the same user like me who donot touch linux on self computer,right?maybe you would have a try? :P

Maybe it's better if you try first a live distribution of linux as suggested. Knoppix is most known in "live" distribution sector. And of course you have to read and read to learn how to use linux. Then if you'll like it you can try some other distributions, but first you must know what do you want to use linux for. If you don't want to do any serious things in linux, having it just for fun and that it will be easy to use, try Mandriva, which works almost like windows (pratically all things can be made with clicks, just for installing programs and other stuff you'll have to use the konsole). Then when you'll know linux better you can try Gentoo, Debian and others (les work with cliccks, more use of konsole). It seems hard but linux is the best developed operation system existing. And when you said that you never get in contact with linux. That's not true. If you're hosted by Xisto, the server of Xisto is running on LINUX!!!

Hey, from what I think, Linux distributions are slowly becomes OS that you will need to pay.Look at those Linux Destros with strong support like, Mandriva (formerly known as Madrake Linux), Redhat, Linspire, all becoming paid Linux OS.Of course many distributions are still free and usually have problems and can crash easily or no support on them...But still, Linux is less vulnerable to sercurity threats unlike Windows OS...

umm,although linux might not be green(sercurity and performance) than other great OS,i would like to install to taste the penguin os... :rolleyes:by the way,how can I can the game ran in linux? like mac os,we must download the game marked by mac version,is linux compatible with windows?

thanks for the info. I was about to make a new thread. I'm glad I looked around. I never knew you could actually try it out without having to work with the harddrive. that's so cool. So for like beginners what would you recommend. what distribution. and which one has a server built in?

Hey, from what I think, Linux distributions are slowly becomes OS that you will need to pay.

Look at those Linux Destros with strong support like, Mandriva (formerly known as Madrake Linux), Redhat, Linspire, all becoming paid Linux OS.

Of course many distributions are still free and usually have problems and can crash easily or no support on them...

But still, Linux is less vulnerable to sercurity threats unlike Windows OS...

153496[/snapback]

Too wrong!!. :rolleyes:

Just read about debian and all derivatives. Its completely free, extremely stable, well supported, and so on.

Official website: http://www.debian.org/.

To download some distributions, justo go to: http://iso.linuxquestions.org/

Use linux, learn linux, live linux and be happy, free and independent,

Hey, from what I think, Linux distributions are slowly becomes OS that you will need to pay.

Look at those Linux Destros with strong support like, Mandriva (formerly known as Madrake Linux), Redhat, Linspire, all becoming paid Linux OS.

Of course many distributions are still free and usually have problems and can crash easily or no support on them...

But still, Linux is less vulnerable to sercurity threats unlike Windows OS...

153496[/snapback]

They are not becaming paid, because they are working on GPL license!!!! The point of this license is that all software developed under this license is free and the same is for linux and all programs for this OS, except some drivers like for ATI, Nvidia,...

You make conclusions to fast, I think that I know why have you wrote this and it's tru that on the offical webpage of Mandrake linux you can't download the latest stable version of Mandriva linux if you're not a member and paying for this. This is because they need money to keep working on linux, but you can still download Mandriva linux from other websites or if you wanna try the newest version in development with some bugs.

And there is one thing that microsoft will never accept. If you're working with open source, there are more people working on same code and many bugs can be fixed in short time so Linux is less vulnerable then windows on which is working just one team and there are more possibilities for bugs in their new OS and with this there are more chances for hackers to use this security holes for hacking.

Just read about debian and all derivatives. Its completely free, extremely stable, well supported, and so on.

Official website: http://www.debian.org/.

To download some distributions, justo go to: http://iso.linuxquestions.org/

Use linux, learn linux, live linux and be happy, free and independent

yeah... so many good linux download site,lots of interesting version i have never seen.that is too cooool.

thx,let's to try linux

ummm,there are some problem happened when i install linux.i installed a recent linux peanut linux(call it alinux usually) but after loading or testing dev files,appear a command login:[/red]...then i have no idea what to type to next :rolleyes: do u know the stage?

thx your reply