xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Shadow

F1 Gp Indy

Did anyone watch it?If you did, I bet your pretty pissed off. I know I am. All the teams that were running on Michelin tires couldn't race because they were having porblems on turn 13. The tires kept blowing out. Young Ralf Shumacher(sp?) had a tire blow out, and sun into the protective barrier. It turns out, the side wall on the tire failed, and cause the tire to blow out. Well Michelin flew a set of non defective tires to the race track, and the FIA wouldn't let the teams switch the tires. So the Michelin teams came out for the formation lap, then ALL pitted after it. Only 3 teams consisting of 6 drivers, 2 on each team, raced. So instead of the FIA putting up a yellow flag at turn 13 to slow the drivers down, and elliminate the fear of being passed, they just pitted the Michelin teams. Only the teams riding on Bridgestone raced. Rather boring. And all the fans were throwing debis onto the tack and booing. When the race was over, non of the winners wanted to participate in the podium, and frankly, I don't blame them! Thanks for killing F1 Bernie Elkelheart(sp?)!My feelings as of this point are mostly.. MAD! I hope they catch Bernie, and they give him what he deserves. I mean I hope the fans catch Bernie!Shadow

I did watch the US F1 race and was very disappointed about what all happened. A lot of the blame for what happened should go squarely on the guys at Michelin for bringing tyres to the race that were obviously not upto the standard of racing on such a circuit. As you say Shadow, they tried to fly over some new tyres to race on, but this goes against the new rules by the FIA that the drivers must race with the same tyres that they qualified with. Michelin said that it would let the 14 drivers race, if they could slow the cars down though that turn (#13). Those teams tried to get a chicane placed there but the FIA would not allow it either. So some of the blame can go to FIA and Bernie Ecclestone for not trying to come to some agreement to allow the Michelin drivers to race, but the fingers should really be pointed at Michelin for bringing the wrong tyres.The situation was almost laughable when the two Ferraris (the only two 'real' racing cars of the remaining six that started) nearly collided during the middle of the race who were in 1st and 2nd place by a clear margin over the other four drivers.

The situation was almost laughable when the two Ferraris (the only two 'real' racing cars of the remaining six that started) nearly collided during the middle of the race who were in 1st and 2nd place by a clear margin over the other four drivers.

153198[/snapback]

Yeah, that was hilarious... but truthfully if I were Barichello I would quit Ferrari. They are really holding that guy back, he would have actually overtaken Schumi.

However, I think Michelin really screwed up and the teams and fans should blame them. I mean the whole season we saw Michelin tyres winning all races, but to think that they were risking stability for speed is outrageous, and now only when they start to fail they recommend bringing in new tyres. That is not fair for the teams racing on Bridgestones.

Don't get me worng, I also use Michelin tyres on my car, but they really screwed up this time.

I only watched the end of the gp because there was a movie on HBO that was a lot more interesting. My favourite team/driver is Ferrari/Michael Schumacher.Many say that the rules that prohibit the teams from changing the tiers are bad. Of course yesterdays show was very boring, but you must remember what happened at the beginning of the season. When the new rules appeared everyone was happy because the domination of Ferrari and Michael Schumacher over F1 was over. Now everyone blames the same rules for destroying the fun from F1. The change of the rules from the beginning of the season where not fair to Ferrari and other rich teams, but where needed if F1 was to survive. I'll give an example from football... let's say Chelsea plays with a team from the 2nd league---of course Chelsea is going to win since it's owner spends millions of $ each day. That football match is boring since everyone knows the outcome. What FIA did on the beginning of the season = let Chelsea play with only 10 players from the start just to put the fun back in the game. FIA should have done something but not this way.Coming back to the problem of the tiers... as it seems to me the low quality of the tiers is Michelin's problem (Brigestone had no problem) and you can't stop a grand prix because 14 of the 20 teams made a wrong choice. What would have happend to the remaining 6 teams. I mean it is not their fault that the other teams had chosen Michelin. Anyway this gp will surely remain in the history of F1.

In one way i found it funny because onl?y 6 cars started the race and all get pts but in the other way it is quiet booring with only 6 cars i hope next year michelin won't have so many problems and all teams can start.

I did watch the US F1 race and was very disappointed about what all happened. A lot of the blame for what happened should go squarely on the guys at Michelin for bringing tyres to the race that were obviously not upto the standard of racing on such a circuit. As you say Shadow, they tried to fly over some new tyres to race on, but this goes against the new rules by the FIA that the drivers must race with the same tyres that they qualified with. Michelin said that it would let the 14 drivers race, if they could slow the cars down though that turn (#13). Those teams tried to get a chicane placed there but the FIA would not allow it either. So some of the blame can go to FIA and Bernie Ecclestone for not trying to come to some agreement to allow the Michelin drivers to race, but the fingers should really be pointed at Michelin for bringing the wrong tyres.

The situation was almost laughable when the two Ferraris (the only two 'real' racing cars of the remaining six that started) nearly collided during the middle of the race who were in 1st and 2nd place by a clear margin over the other four drivers.

153198[/snapback]

About the chicane, If they had of put in the chicane, it would have been a whole different course, which would have resulted in re-qualifying all the racers. As my dad pointed out, they could have just yellow flagged the corner, and then, you destroy the fear of being passed when you have to go slow around that corner. It's as simple as that!

However, I think Michelin really screwed up and the teams and fans should blame them. I mean the whole season we saw Michelin tyres winning all races, but to think that they were risking stability for speed is outrageous, and now only when they start to fail they recommend bringing in new tyres. That is not fair for the teams racing on Bridgestones.

Don't get me worng, I also use Michelin tyres on my car, but they really screwed up this time.

153198[/snapback]

As for that, yes Michelin should have sent the proper tires, but they had just recently repaved that whole track, for the first time in however many years, and in turn 13, they added that lil offset where the side closest to the stands was higher than the side closest to the pit, which ended with the side walls on the Michelin tires to fail. However, Bridgestone's tires did not fail, because their sister company Firestone does Nascar, and Nascar has raced that course before F1 after it got paved. Therfore, Firestone was able to inform it's sister company Birdgestone that turn 13 could cause the sidewalls on the tires to fail, and to developpe a tire that would be able to handle that kind of slide.

So in result, Michelin failed to developpe a working tire for the track, and hopefully next year, they will be able to have the proper equipment ready. And as for Bridgestone, good job!

Shadow

Although all the talk is about whether Formula 1 will return to the Indy track. There have been rumblings around F1 for quite a while even to the extent that only Ferrari have signed up with the FIA to continue racing for the years to come. Where as the other teams, especially manufacture teams [like BMW, Mercedes, Renault] are looking into a 'breakaway' racing league after being disgruntled with how FIA is running the whole F1 'show'. Also the FIA are trying to cut costs even further, which could also include going back to one single tyre manufacturer, which then asks the question if this debacle may have hurt Michelin in the future.As for putting out a yellow flag, I'm not sure that would be a better option than a chicane as it would hold up the other Bridgstone runners just as much. I was thinking they could have placed a line along the middle of that turn 13 and let the Bridgestone runners take the racing line in the inside/bottom of the curve and the Michelins could drive slow around the outside/top of the curve and they would've all merged together nicely into the main straight.

As for putting out a yellow flag, I'm not sure that would be a better option than a chicane as it would hold up the other Bridgstone runners just as much. I was thinking they could have placed a line along the middle of that turn 13 and let the Bridgestone runners take the racing line in the inside/bottom of the curve and the Michelins could drive slow around the outside/top of the curve and they would've all merged together nicely into the main straight.

155776[/snapback]

I don't know if that would work so well. Your meaning like the Bridgestone rides low, on the inside, and Michelin rides high on the outside? If so, then the Bridgestone teams would get that much further away from the Michelin teams on that corner, seeing on how the inside corner is always the faster part of a corner. But if you mean reverse of that previously stated, then it could of very possibly worked. But it's all over, so I guess we'll never know! As I stated before, the chicane would create a whole new track, which in the end, would result in re-qualifying, as the track would be different enough that it wouldn't be fair. In my mind, the yellow flag is the best option, but that's just my mind, we all know how messed up it is! LOL.

As for Michelin being screwed in the future if the FIA switches to 1 tire company, then yeah, they more then likely did screw themselves over.

And finally, as for the FIA, they should just GET LOST! They are ruining indy car racing! Just imagine indy car racing without the FIA, it would be sooooooooooooooooooo much better!

Shadow

I did mean what I said, which would have meant the Michelin runners would lose time driving slow around the outside of the corner. Given the fact that part of the conditions to placing a chicane on the track was that they [the Michelin drivers] were to start at the back of the starting grid and also not collect any points for the race where ever they finished, I don't think it would've made much difference. The idea was to have something that resembled a race, and not just six cars on the track.Anyway, it is all over and in the past now. The next race is on this weekend [back in Europe, I imagine] and it will be interesting to see what has transpired in Formula One since the Indy debacle.

FIA did suggest putting a speed limit on turn 13 for Michelin cars only, but they refused. I would have really liked to see Toyota win, oh well...