xisto Community
theconman

I Heard About Mp3player/mobile Phones... any truth behind this?

My friend was talking about it, but I didn't really believe him...

Does anybody else know anything about this?

153081[/snapback]

yeah its true. mobile phones nowadays are so high tech.

here are some of the features i know in one of the latest phones::

1. 2 megapixel camera -- way far advance than 1.3 megapixel cameras in some fons right now.. its in sony ericson.. but here in the philippines it's not out in the market yet.

2. 2 cameras -this feature is in one of the nokia fons. it has a camera in front so that you can be able to talk to your friends in videos. and one in the back so that you can be able to take pictures if other people.

3. video conversations-- nokia has this feature.

4. mp3 player -- almost every phone here has mp3 players. you can download or recieve from other persons mp3 musics.

5. blue tooth -- you can send/recieve anything.. pictures, mp3s, videos, anything for free when your near each other.

I think there are already a number of mobile phones with mp3 playing capabilities. I know at least Motorola and Samsung have realy mp3 playing things (not just mp3s as ringtones), and it wouldn't surprise me if Nokia and Ericsson have models out that can do it.

Turns out my friend was right. I ended up just snooping around and I found this article:

Will your next MP3 player be a cell phone?By Eliot Van Buskirk
Technology editor, MP3.com
October 7, 2004 

In August, I flew up to Seattle to meet with Real to discuss the nascent chess match between Apple and Real. In case you need a refresher, Rob Glaser of Real fired the opening salvo by making his store's music compatible with the iPod without the blessing of Steve Jobs. At this point, Apple has merely rattled its saber and has yet to release the hounds (read: lawyers) on Real. We'll have to wait and see how that story plays out.
Anyway, after meeting with Real's executives that morning, I broke for lunch with Kevin Foreman, head of the company's Helix division, an "open, multiformat platform for digital media creation, delivery, and playback."

A bold prediction
We covered a lot of ground that day, but one thing Foreman said really took me by surprise. He said that as early as next year, the bottom could fall out of the MP3 player market. Why? Because people will use cell phones to listen to their music instead, Foreman said.

My reaction was similar to the one you're probably having right now: "Yeah, right. Keep dreaming, dude." Aside from the fact that people love their iPods too much to replace them with phones, his idea violates one of my central theories about portable electronics: that people will end up carrying two devices because they need two different batteries. My reasoning is that you wouldn't want to watch movies and listen to music to the point where your battery dies, thus rendering you out of reach of your coworkers, friends, and family. In other words, you need one portable for fun and another for the more serious stuff of life.

But as we talked Foreman's idea through, I saw that it had some merit. Besides, several phones already support MP3.

Cell phones with MP3 playback
If you already own an MP3 player and you're in the market for a new cell phone, you still might want to think about a cell phone with MP3 playback. Right now, an MP3-playing cell phone doesn't store many songs, but wouldn't it be cool to keep a dozen or so tunes on one just in case you find yourself sans iPod with a free half hour, say, in a dentist's waiting room?

Motorola MPx220
Running the Microsoft Mobile operating system, Motorola's multitalented phone handles MP3 playback and has productivity features for keeping your life together.
Nokia 3300
This one has a built-in keyboard for instant messages and e-mail. Additionally, it has MP3 playback and can be expanded with a flash memory SD card.
Siemens SX1
Aside from MP3 playback, Siemens's smart little number has a camera/camcorder, an FM tuner, Bluetooth, and other goodies.
Sony Ericsson P900
Outlook users will appreciate this MP3-playing phone's e-mail integration, and music fans who are handy with a stylus will be even happier.
The MP3 phones of next year
So if Kevin Foreman is right, cell phones will start displacing MP3 players next year. One thing that could help facilitate this transition is that Apple announced a deal with Motorola that will let you buy music from iTunes that can be played on a Motorola cell phone in 2005. Nokia quickly announced a similar deal with European online music store LoudEye, while Microsoft's MSN Music division recently followed suit by trumpeting its upcoming plans with cell phone chipmaker Qualcomm. I bet none of these partnerships will let you actually purchase and download music wirelessly on your phone because the price of sending that volume of data would erode the slim margins already endured by online music stores. However, the technology of tomorrow could change that.

The future of MP3 cell phones
There are three key technologies that will have to arrive before I'm personally willing to place my chips next to Foreman's in betting that the MP3 player will be overtaken by music-playing cell phones. First, I'll need more storage on my phone because flash memory players, while great for the gym, just don't cut it when it comes to storage capacity. I want every song with me all the time. Samsung recently announced what it is calling the world's first cell phone with a hard drive. Granted, the Samsung SPH-V5400's 1-inch microdrive will have only a 1.5GB capacity. However, if you've followed technology for at least six months, you know that everything gets smaller and holds more data over time, so that capacity barrier is anything but permanent.

I'll also need to reconcile the MP3 player/cell phone theory with the "two batteries, two devices" concept outlined above. Fuel cells will solve that problem, possibly as soon as the end of 2005.

Finally, I'll want the ability to buy songs for my cell without first needing to load them on my PC before transferring them to the phone. This will require wireless connectivity to be as cheap and as fast as DSL and cable Internet access both are today. I'm not holding my breath, but we could get there as soon as 2006, especially if service providers and consumers are tempted into adoption by the promise of wireless music.

For now, don't expect to exchange your MP3 player and cell phone for one device. I'm just giving you sufficient early warning so that you have a few years to get used to the concept of a combination MP3 player/cell phone before it actually arrives on the scene. I know that giving up my MP3 player next year would be quite a shock to the system--and I'd be willing to bet you feel the same way.

-https://www.cnet.com/topics/audio/

So now I need to ask, would it be worth my money to buy a mp3 player now?

i seee.. hmm i plan to get a new phone soon , and it has mp3 playing capabilities too, since i dotn have an ipod or an mp3 with those ghigh specs. having 2 deviced that can plan mp3 isnt much of a problem for me~ and since both uses a memory card of the same type i can swap songs here and there :D

Well, right now I'm considering to buy Sony Ericcson W800i, it's still not released. Problaly will be release on octoberWhat I like about the phone it have advance music player, SE working together with Walkman to create high tech phone-mp3 player. Altough I already have a Mp3 Player, but I think it's more simple to have a handphone which integrated with mp3 player. The good thing this phone also have 2MP camera on the back.Argh, I can't wait for it :D

Turns out my friend was right. I ended up just snooping around and I found this article:

-https://www.cnet.com/topics/audio/

So now I need to ask, would it be worth my money to buy a mp3 player now?

153407[/snapback]

Yeah this info really explains alot about the mp3 on the phone... Yeah i also like how it really explains if i should or should not get but i must say it's actually pretty good article... i would recommend this article if some one ask me about it... but not to bad thanks once again...

I think a seperate phone and mp3 would be great because mp3's will eat alot on your phone, which I think, will make your cellphone slower and slower... Having a seperate mp3 like iPod would be great :D

yup. those phones my friends have have a small space in the mmc so they usually getit filled up easily, and since there are a couple of useful programs for the phone, the internal memory gets eaten up too,and yeah, i feel the phone gets slower at times`

Still according to the product's profession.A MP3 player is still better in terms of music quality, convenience and standard while a mobile phone is still a communication device. Although a mobile phone includes MP3 player function, it still loses to a real 100% MP3 device in terms of music quality and probably device quality. It goes same for mobile office function in mobile phones as compared to a handheld or a notebook. It is still ultimately a mobile phone.So it depends on the user. If the user doesn't mind to for-go a superb music quality, a mobile phone combined with different functions might be a good choice. Else, having an MP3 player will create the real musical quality that the user wants, especially its surround sound feature. :D

Phones are becoming alot more advanced alot quicker.They will have alot more features in the future.They were even planing on putting some sort of tracking device on them I think so people new where you were.