xisto Community
imran

Intel Centreno And Intel Mobile Difference between the two

Hican anyone tell me what is the difference between Intel Centreno and Intel Mobile processors other than that Intel Centreno having in-built Wifi card.I have a 2 year old dell laptop which is having Intel mobile 2.6 Ghz processor. But when i see the latest laptops in market, all having intel centreno 1.6, 1.7 ghz processors.. How come they are lower then mine? :P somebody told me Intel Centreno 1.6 and Intel Mobile 2.6 processor are equal in speed? is that correct?

Hi

can anyone tell me what is the difference between Intel Centreno and Intel Mobile processors other than that Intel Centreno having in-built Wifi card.

I have a 2 year old dell laptop which is having Intel mobile 2.6 Ghz processor. But when i see the latest laptops in market, all having intel centreno 1.6, 1.7 ghz processors.. How come they are lower then mine? :P

somebody told me Intel Centreno 1.6 and Intel Mobile 2.6 processor are equal in speed? is that correct?

152798[/snapback]

If i am not wrong, the Intel Centrino work slower but could make more MIPS (Million Instructions Per Second)(Like AthlonXP with P4) than the Others Intel mobile processor, And also the speed of the processor can vary in relation with the task that it need to do, so these features, give a better solution for notebook, because the battery duration is longer, and the performance seems to be the same.

Andrescasta

There is a general misconseption that the Centrino is a CPU, it is NOT. It is a mobile technology which consists of a Mobile Penitum-M (note the m at the end) + Intel motherboard chipset + intel 2200BG or similar miniPCI wifi card ALL TOGETHER. If a laptop has lets say SIS or ALI chipset motherboard then it cannot be called to have Centrino. Similarly if it has lets say a Broadcom wifi card then still it wont be called a Centrino.Now the tricky part is the CPU, there are two kind of Mobile CPUs on intel's part. A Mobile Pentium and a Mobile Pentium-M. The first one isn't actually a mobile CPU at all, it is a desktop P4 CPU with some modifications so that it smaller, runs slower on battery mode and faster on AC power mode. The Pentium-M is a "real" laptop CPU with dynamic speed control and low power consumption and is also the one used in Centrino laptops. The former one is mostly phased out now that the Pentium-M CPUs are just as fast.