xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
green fairy

Pixel Art In Paint Shop Pro This is fun

In this tutorial I will show you how to make some pretty simple pixel art using paintshop pro and animation shop.

In case you didn't know; pixel art means you create something pixel by pixel. It's actually pretty fun ones you get the hang of it.

Lets make an animated candle...

1) Some preparation: First of all you will need to put the grids on in PSP. Make them 1x1 pixel. Then zoom in close before before starting. Use the paint brush tool and set it to 1 pixel. Make shore you have these settings for your magic wand:

Mode: Add (shift), Match mode: RGB value, Tolerance: 0, Contiguous, Feather: 0, Anti-alias, Inside

2) As always when making pixel art, you start by making an outline in black. Click here to see how the candle outline should look like. The numbers tells you how many pixels to use everywhere, so all you should have to do now is reproduce it.

3) Now you can start colouring. See below for the different colours to use. Forget the flame for now.

Posted Image

4) Now we will start adding some effects. Use the magic wand to select these areas:

Posted Image

5) No go Effects -> 3D Effects -> Cut-out and insert these settings:

Posted Image

6) Now pick up the magic wand again and make selections like this:

Posted Image

7) Go to Effects -> 3D Effects -> Cut-out. Use the same settings as before, but replace the colours with this:

Posted Image

Now your result should hopefully look like this:

Posted Image

8) Now duplicate the candle twice so that you have three layers.

9) Now you can edit the flame outline of layer2. We do this so we can make an animation afterwards. Use this model to change the flame appearence in both layer2 and 3.

Posted Image

10) Now, with the background selected, you can start colouring the flame. Colour the different flames like this:

Posted Image

11) You should now have three slightly different candles looking like this:

Posted Image

12) Lets get them in to animation shop. Just copy each of the three layers and past them one by one into a new project in animation shop.

13) Now you may want to select the three candles and make the background transparent.

All you have to do now is set the speed of your animation and then save it. Here is hopefully your finished result:

Posted Image

Hope you like the result. It was purely my imagination playing around when I first got the idea of making this candle. :P

I think it's an art...that pixelling...I'd like to do that to..I started out but it look hard to me making your own design..I mean, how do you know how much pixels you'll need for each part and what color? I thinks its difficult!!Hope I'll get to make my own pixelart someday

Nice tutorial man even though i do not use PaintShop Pro :P

153099[/snapback]

Nice that you like the tutorial. Just want to declair that I am not a man :P . Doesn't seem to be a lot of women in this forum, but they make websites too you know. Personally, I'm just a 16 year old girl looking for some free hosting :(;)

wow, that candle looks great! I've just read an article in Joker (Slovenian computer magazine) about pixel art. I was wondering how to make this 3D looking of your picture made by pixels and now you solved the problem! This tutorial is very useful, I think I'll try to make something. Pictures made like this looks really great.