xisto Community
karlo

Making My Website More Unique

Hello... I just wanted to ask, how can I make my website mo unique? Especially using JavaScript in it, but I hope that It will work in all browsers... I want it to have many visual effects, etc... but I hope in an easy way... how will I do that? :P Do you think it's also advisable to use XMLHttpRequest?

You could add a script that displays a random quote whenever the page is loaded.Or you could create a javascript that serves up a different version of the same page whenever it is loaded.Or you could just make the background orange and augment the font to 96 pixels high. That would be unique.

Raptrex is right. You don't want to have TOO much animation/pictures/whatever. It'd bog down 56kers and also anyone who has a slow computer. That'd be that much less visitors to your site =/ Plus, it can be tacky sometimes as well.To make your site more unique, you should try something different. Nothing the same as every other site. It should show off you and your creativeness. It doesn't have to be outstanding, but it has to be original. Just...don't choose crap color combinations >_>

Hello... I just wanted to ask, how can I make my website mo unique? Especially using JavaScript in it, but I hope that It will work in all browsers... I want it to have many visual effects, etc... but I hope in an easy way... how will I do that? :P Do you think it's also advisable to use XMLHttpRequest?

152559[/snapback]

Try not to put too many images or flash..Download time will be higher PLUS you will also run out of your bandwidth quota. Try to be creative. Random quote is a good idea, i am also doing on my website. You can show some other things to users like you can tell them about their Operating System, Browser version etc by using javaScript.

Although I don't personaly have aproblem with it, (and am working on an argument in your favor) I'm told you can't be more Unique, as Unique is an absolute, God can't be more powerful, water can't be more wet, that sort of thing!

As far as making things diffrent, I like the quote Idea, but like they have been saying don't do it with Javascript do it with php (or any server side srcipting), that way it WILL work.

Someone said flash, I would recomend SwiSH, it isn't free but still a very good swf creation program, and cheaper then Macromedia Flash!
Now someone also mentioned something about colors, so I will point you to a great site, http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/
There is also http://www.dynamicdrive.com/ for DHTML, JS, XML, and likewise sripts, you may find something you like.
Try adding a bit of flame, go with http://www.flamingtext.com/
Or, although I would not recomend it, you could add a background sound loop, just leave the option to mute it!, try http://www.flashkit.com/

Well, you could add animations to your site (Flash, Javascript, DHTML) as long as you don't fill the page with a lot of them. That'll just make take much longer to load. Plus, people may get tired of those animation after a while. If you have good content, then by all means flaunt it! In many cases, it's the content that keeps people coming back to a website...of course adding some style helps to make it more presentable. Although I have ADSL, I know many others who still use a dial-up connection. As such, I would try to make a spage that can load quickly (read: light on graphics).

Hi:I like the java scripts.I use java scripts to do a "histology word of the day" on my site. Granted, you wouldn't be interested in learning a histology word a day unless you were studying histology...but it is ever changing content.I also use the java script to post a new joke a day. Problem with this, I had a very difficutl time coming up with enough jokes even remotely related to histology. But it is still an effect I like. Visitors get new content daily, and I don't have to update it daily.SunkistP.S. If anybody knows a good histology joke, please contact me.

Although I don't personaly have aproblem with it, (and am working on an argument in your favor) I'm told you can't be more Unique, as Unique is an absolute, God can't be more powerful, water can't be more wet, that sort of thing!

As far as making things diffrent, I like the quote Idea, but like they have been saying don't do it with Javascript do it with php (or any server side srcipting), that way it WILL work.

Someone said flash, I would recomend SwiSH, it isn't free but still a very good swf creation program, and cheaper then Macromedia Flash!

Now someone also mentioned something about colors, so I will point you to a great site, http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

There is also http://www.dynamicdrive.com/ for DHTML, JS, XML, and likewise sripts, you may find something you like.

Try adding a bit of flame, go with http://www.flamingtext.com/

Or, although I would not recomend it, you could add a background sound loop, just leave the option to mute it!, try http://www.flashkit.com/

153104[/snapback]

I thought SWISH was just a plugin for Macromedia Flash. Does SWISH only experts the file in SWF format? By the way the ColorMixers website is really useful. I hope they have this stand-alone program so that I can use it offline. DynamicDrive is really useful for me. I just needed a script which will put some fading effects on the text and the links and add a little transition to the page, and I hope that those animations will work on all browsers. FlamingText and FlashKit is also useful. By the way, I also needed a good template for my website.. where can I get one for free? Also, my site is designed using CSS and Tables, and my website is really weird in Internet Explorer. That's why I used the Internet Explorer Fix that is from SourceForge. The only problem is, in some computers, it crashes Internet Explorer.

The only version of SWiSH I have experince with is 2.01 which they have discontinued :rolleyes: but I am told that swishMax is quite good. Swish (2.01 anyway) exports in swf, as well as AVI, but if you are using swish to make the intro to a movie be sure to set the frame rate to 29.97 (NTCS) or 25 (PAL) it just works better that way!I don't know if this would be a factor but If you use FireWorks to make any of the graphics you have to export them before use because the FireWroks PNG format besides be in standard PNG format doesn't always work in IE (they added to much junk to it).As far as templates, I don't like the look of templates, well not that they look bad, it just that I think a website is a thousand times better if you built it yourself. But hey along that note SWiSHzone.com (makers of swish) offer a site template suite that comes with a whole mess of swf templates (not free) Although I would hisghly NOT recoend this, A little bit of flash is good, but the whole site just agravetes Dialup users.

The only version of SWiSH I have experince with is 2.01 which they have discontinued :lol: but I am told that swishMax is quite good.  Swish (2.01 anyway) exports in swf, as well as AVI, but if you are using swish to make the intro to a movie be sure to set the frame rate to 29.97 (NTCS) or 25 (PAL)  it just works better that way!

I don't know if this would be a factor but If you use FireWorks to make any of the graphics you have to export them before use because the FireWroks PNG format besides be in standard PNG format doesn't always work in IE (they added to much junk to it).

As far as templates, I don't like the look of templates, well not that they look bad, it just that I think a website is a thousand times better if you built it yourself.  But hey along that note SWiSHzone.com (makers of swish) offer a site template suite that comes with a whole mess of swf templates (not free) Although I would hisghly NOT recoend this, A little bit of flash is good, but the whole site just agravetes Dialup users.

154843[/snapback]

Hmm.. well I have no creativity when it comes to website design. So, swishMAX is the latest version of SWiSH? Where can I get it? I think SWISH or swishMAX is also good for movies... I sue Fireworks for the gradient effect things, then expert it to GIF or JPG... I don't use PNG so no need to worry... And I don't want to use a flash website... dHTML would be great...

it's a good way not using so much javascript on your web.

and not so many visual effictive i think

:rolleyes:

154845[/snapback]

Well, i figured that I wanted to use those cute cursor effects... those fade text effects...