xisto Community
heavensounds

Microsoft Is Making A P2p Aplication

According to PC World, researchers in Microsoft labs in Cambridge are designing a new tevhnology for file sharing, which will enable easier internet distribution of movies, TV shows and bigger program applications to end-users.Under the code-name Avalanche, there is a p2p system, which is very similar to the BitTorrent - big files are divided into small pieces which ease the whole process a lot. User only get files he needs from other users and uses capabilities of his connections better this way and doesn't put pressure on the servers of companies and organisations which gave the file in public. The main downside of all currnt systems is, that users have to wait quite long to get the last bit of the file. For various reasons it happens that the last part is located only at few users and so it is veeeeery hard to get.According ot microsoft, this problem was saved with a special algorythm, which will decode the original file in pieces which will include informarion of all the other parts. Some sort of data DNA will enable the use of a single part with to every user!Avalance will be introduec in England the following year. It will also difere from his brothers, because it will have copyright protection. The user will only be able to share files, which will contain a certain signature form the author...We will see ifthis microsoft thingy will work :P

This is kinda a smart move from Microsoft, so they can share with the excellence of Peer 2 Peer programs, withoud crausing the Legal and illegal borders.But I think, as long as they dont supply it with windows almost no-one will use it, since they are already used to programs like KaZaA and Limewire. And if no-one uses it no software will be shared either.

Microsoft...making a P2P application? Why? I don't like the sound of that.Copyright protection too, I don't think it'll make a very big hit. I'm assuming it's for a price or it's going to be distributed with the nth release of windows.

I can't understand their logic on this one. They've already been stung once for stifling competition and now they want to take a path that helps promote internet piracy? :P

I can't understand their logic on this one. They've already been stung once for stifling competition and now they want to take a path that helps promote internet piracy?  :P

152540[/snapback]

Probably they are depressed to gain those Market Shares again...

Adding copyright protection is a good idea, but will any developers bother to put a special bit of Microsoft code into their files just to send them, when they can send them legally on BitTorrent, Limewire etc. People will find a way around it anyway. As osknockout and Florisjuh

said, no-one will use it unless it is bundled with Windows, which Microsoft has already been penalised for.

Here is yet another way Microsoft wants to turn the computer industry into a monopoly. I personally don't like the fact people can download stuff off of your computer too because I have a bandwidth cap so it would really hurt me. If its free and pretty good I'll try it when it comes out.

It is weird to think that a P2P software which only enables to transfer copyright files will have any success. Most of the people use P2P software to transfer pirate mp3, movies and cracked software. I am not sure how it works but if you have a song with copyright i guess that sharing is against copyright.

A p2p program made by microsoft??!! They must be crazy, even if there would be copyrights and other stuf to transform it to a legal source of data, there would be many others not legal data avaliable soon because of the peer to peer protocol which allows you to share also your files.

That's interesting to hear that Microsoft is working on a P2P application. I remember one time, a friend of mine told me that the authorities (entertainment companies? government?) are currently trying to crack down on P2P software like Kazaa, Limewire, etc.

According to PC World, researchers in Microsoft labs in Cambridge are designing a new tevhnology for file sharing, which will enable easier internet distribution of movies, TV shows and bigger program applications to end-users.

Under the code-name Avalanche, there is a p2p system, which is very similar to the BitTorrent - big files are divided into small pieces which ease the whole process a lot. User only get files he needs from other users and uses capabilities of his connections better this way and doesn't put pressure on the servers of companies and organisations which gave the file in public. The main downside of all currnt systems is, that users have to wait quite long to get the last bit of the file. For various reasons it happens that the last part is located only at few users and so it is veeeeery hard to get.

According ot microsoft, this problem was saved with a special algorythm, which will decode the original file in pieces which will include informarion of all the other parts. Some sort of data DNA will enable the use of a single part with to every user!

Avalance will be introduec in England the following year. It will also difere from his brothers, because it will have copyright protection. The user will only be able to share files, which will contain a certain signature form the author...

We will see ifthis microsoft thingy will work  :rolleyes:

152505[/snapback]

Do you think P2P applications is advisable to used? I know some p2p program that contains spyware, addware and sometime used to hack computers but that was only a freeware that are available on the net.

If microsoft works for p2p application I think it will safe to used, beside microsoft knows all the important security need and they are all good enough to work for it. :lol:

well since microsoft is making products that are hackable its not even worth the trouble to get it

It really good to know that Microsoft is making a p2p program.. I would surely use it instead of LimeWire because i am sure that microsoft would have worked hard on security.. security is what they focus on.. and with limewire we get lot of Viruses(FREE OF COST !! LOL) but i believe that the one they would launch would be very secure

Wow, if they packaged that with Vista, I would definitly use it, it sounds like almost a faster Bittorrent. Now, lets see if they can pull it off without bugging the program with spyware that shows what file at what location you downloaded it from. :rolleyes: