xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
wariorpk

Allow Members To Edit And Delete Posts Make The Lives Of Us And Mods Easier

Ok so your happily posting and you hit the post button too many times because your internet is slow. We can't delete our own posts so we have to let a mod know. Or you want to add to your post. I personally think this is kind of a good idea because it will help the forums run more smothely if people can edit or delete their posts. What do you guys think?

please refer to this thread:

http://forums.xisto.com/topic/8667-edit-button/

anyway, the short of it, editing and deleting topics/posts is delegated to admins/moderators at this point. why? because we have the hosting credits system in place, which needs to be adjusted for instances of deletion and editing. the edit and delete buttons were removed due to abuse of some members before with regards to the hosting credits system.

Yeah because of the credit system it would be just chaos...what would happen if mods edited your post because of something they didnt want to be said from you, and you kept editing it back into your post...I do think, though, that those with a good history of posting should be granted certain extra previledges, etc. editing own posts??? Who knows, but for now, take your time when posting and make sure everything is ready before you post...

but for now, take your time when posting and make sure everything is ready before you post...

152423[/snapback]

Well said!

Besides the loophole and editing one's own words to cover the tracks, when there isn't a room to make mistakes one tends to be on extra alert stage. If there was a button to make one's mistake go away this forum will be full of sloppy, incoherent first draft postings. So the responsibility of making this forum nice and strong is shared between admins/mods and members (and not sliding to just one side) when everyone is making a conscious effort to make the first post good each and every time.

Yeah I would agree that editing own post is a great tool..Nut I've seen an article somewhere that states the problem where people abuse the system by editing and editing again and again to get more hosting credits...Well, if thats the case, then might as well remove that edit feature..Anyway our posts will still be posted..But sometimes is su*x...There was once where I need to post some latest technologies in this forum..I copied a paragraph from the source and pasted in my post...Guess what, I forgotten to Quote it...And worst still, I couldn't edit my post already..Few minutes later, my post was deleted and I was given a warn attribute for copying materials...I don't intend to.. but I got no choice..Well, maybe I just got to be careful everytime I post...

The main problem is, that people could make a huge long post (with random characters) and edit it back to some thing like "thanks"... the hosting credit system would record only the first post (the long random one)... hence, it is abused...?

Although I admit I have no idea how the 'hosting credit system' works, could it not be possible to work it in with users editing posts.

For example, if a user edits his post by deleting parts of the post, they have the corresponding difference of post length taken off their hosting credits. This could also be scaled so that if the post length has only changed slightly [eg. fixing typographical errors] that there is no penalty of points, whereas if a user tries to 'cheat the system' by making wholesale changes [as Dooga mentions above], there could be a greater penalty added.

On the other hand, if a user wishes to add more infornation to a post, to avoid abuse, there would be no change their hosting credits.

Pros:

Users can edit their own posts and will not get any benefit of hosting credits.

Will create a much nicer looking board without double posts or moderator notices.

Cons:

Having no knowledge of the workings of the credits system, this idea could be difficult to implement.

I have 'tinkered around' with previous versions of Invision, and would gladly help if required.

Although I admit I have no idea how the 'hosting credit system' works, could it not be possible to work it in with users editing posts.

For example, if a user edits his post by deleting parts of the post, they have the corresponding difference of post length taken off their hosting credits. This could also be scaled so that if the post length has only changed slightly [eg. fixing typographical errors] that there is no penalty of points, whereas if a user tries to 'cheat the system' by making wholesale changes [as Dooga mentions above], there could be a greater penalty added.

On the other hand, if a user wishes to add more infornation to a post, to avoid abuse, there would be no change their hosting credits.

Pros:

Users can edit their own posts and will not get any benefit of hosting credits.

Will create a much nicer looking board without double posts or moderator notices.

Cons:

Having no knowledge of the workings of the credits system, this idea could be difficult to implement.

I have 'tinkered around' with previous versions of Invision, and would gladly help if required.

152496[/snapback]

It wouldn't be possible when editing for the system to just figure out how much credits the post was before editing, deduct that many credits from the account, then add credits for the edited version as if it was a new post?

Yes, it would be a good idea to have an edit and delete button. But like what everyone else said, it'd be complicated to work out with the credits calculator, and I'm guessing it's hard to code ^__^;;; but, not many of us make that many mistakes in our posts, ne? Well... at least... I don't...