xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
BuffaloHelp

Project Gmail Host -take the challenge of this old man

Proposal

Develop a website that is completely file-hosted by gmail.

Introduction

Using free domain names, such as geocities.com, create a basic home page but all necessary files, i.e. jpg, gif, js, swf, must be stored in gmail account. Since the increase in gmail?s storage it would be shame to let all that space wasted on some junk mails. The object to this project is to be the first to utilize abundant space provided freely by google. Furthermore, this gives a chance to look though Xisto?s past postings to find utilities that are necessary for this task. This project, perhaps, will heighten google?s interest in Xisto for your innovative ways to use google?s service, thereby, leveling up Xisto?s search ranking in google?s pages.

Methodology

Create/obtain a web address that is capable of making at least a single homepage

Search through Xisto?s previous postings to locate how to access gmail files via HTML access (or any other creative ways)

Search through Xisto to obtain ?free invite to gmail?

The subject of your website can be anything and treat it as if was hosted by Xisto (which means abide to TOS for contents)

Be the first to post your homepage to Xisto forum

Reference

You may use post such as mine (shameless plug) to complete your task. You are, however, not limited to using just the information found in Xisto posts. Whenever you complete a task to overcome your difficulties, please be sure to document your progress.

Footnotes

Pending an approval from admins and other mods, you may post your complete work in Xisto. Your post must be in detailed description with all appropriate tags and sights. And as always the full copyright rules and Xisto TOS are enforced, so be sure to include bibliography of sites you derived your idea/codes. If the documentation is not approved by admins and other mods to be posted here, please include the full disclosure on your project website.

Conclusion

Prize! A prize knowing that you may be the very first person to achieve such task. A self-satisfaction knowing that you have implemented what no one else has attempted and big congratulations from your Xisto peers. :P And, of course, chance to show off your coding abilities on the flick of a dime!

Good idea but i agree with Thunder.But there's lot of people with tons of free time.

That does sound like a very good idea, but I have never seen anyone able to access a GMail account as a webpage before. Unfortunately I do not have time to complete this task but it would be interesting to see how people achieve this. Good luck to anyone attempting this! :P

We have a winner!Someone beat me to it! I was sooooo close... Pending on webmaster's consent, the programmer or I will post the link. It's 100% hosted by Gmail and only thing is not Gmail related is the domain name and a single instruction to call the rest of homepage files.Thank you rvalkass for inviting evilguru to Xisto forum. I can't wait until I have the source code.

Notice from BuffaloHELP:
Sorry, the forum crashed? during my post and it was double posted. Deleted the second.

really works 100%??? post it fast!!! :P i will enable email notification of replies for this thread so i don't miss it!

kudos! hope this is not a hoax :P

We have a winner!

Someone beat me to it! I was sooooo close... Pending on webmaster's consent, the programmer or I will post the link. It's 100% hosted by Gmail and only thing is not Gmail related is the domain name and a single instruction to call the rest of homepage files.

Thank you rvalkass for inviting evilguru to Xisto forum. I can't wait until I have the source code.

Notice from BuffaloHELP:
Sorry, the forum crashed? during my post and it was double posted. Deleted the second.

152372[/snapback]

I have made a simple test site, where everything is hosted off of the Gmail account. You can 'see' it here:http://www.dcrez.co.uk/create/gmail/gmail.php?q=index
Hope you like it :P

evilguru is our newer member. You can PM this user for further details. Simply, amazing!

Would you mind if I post your link to this forum?

Please! The system now seems to be working almost perfectly (apart from .zip files, which I am working on). If they want to test it they can send an email to:project.website@Gmail.com with an attachment (eg an image) then they can go to:
http://www.dcrez.co.uk/create/gmail/gmail.php?q;
where <subject> is the subject of the message they sent.

Notice from BuffaloHELP:
Fixed the broken link within quotes.

Edited by BuffaloHELP (see edit history)

Well, if you need alot of extra space for free this is the way to go! It seems really time consuming though. Since someone did host a site on their gmail account there is hope!

I am amazed how quickly Freddie (evilguru) managed to do this. I only told him on Thursday during an ICT class! With his permission I will try to post a copy of the source code on my Xisto space (if it gets approved) along with full instructions.

Thats great work... congrats to evilguru...nice idea by BuffaloHELP. Its so bad that I dont know php, but let me see if I can do something similar with jsp/servlets. I might give it a try next month, a lil busy at the job currently.nyways, keep up the good work... Cheers.

Hello, you can find the source code for the program here: http://www.dcrez.co.uk/create/gmail/gmail.zip

It has been tested on PHP 4.3.11 (red hat) and PHP 5.0.4 (win, IIS). To use it all you need to do is edit Gmail.php replacing <user> and <pass> with your Gmail user name and password for the storage account you will be using (there is NO way for the user to ever see your Gmail user name or password as it is all server side). The system itself is very simple, it searches your Gmail account for a conversation in which the subject is the same as a $_GET['q'] argument (mails which have not been read yet are returned as <b><subject></b>, so I strip the <b> tags first).

I use an edited version of the open source libgmailer 0.7a (http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/), with the changes being to how attachments are handled, libgmailer by default overides the CURL output settings, getting it to write to a file so I have changed this back to the CURL default (browser) and commented out some session stuff. There are still some changes to made (eg page support needs to be a bit better).

Hope you all like it :P

thanks for sharing your work with us, evilguru! ;) all gmail users wanting to use the gmail system for hosting ought to be informed of this, so i'll do what i can to spread the word. :o

do you have a development site for this? hope you can get one up. better to have one to track updates and comments. :P would it be alright if we set up a mirror of this if ever? :P PM me. :P

Hello, you can find the source code for the program here: http://www.dcrez.co.uk/create/gmail/gmail.zip

It has been tested on PHP 4.3.11 (red hat) and PHP 5.0.4 (win, IIS). To use it all you need to do is edit Gmail.php replacing <user> and <pass> with your Gmail user name and password for the storage account you will be using (there is NO way for the user to ever see your Gmail user name or password as it is all server side). The system itself is very simple, it searches your Gmail account for a conversation in which the subject is the same as a $_GET['q'] argument (mails which have not been read yet are returned as <b><subject></b>, so I strip the <b> tags first).

I use an edited version of the open source libgmailer 0.7a (http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/), with the changes being to how attachments are handled, libgmailer by default overides the CURL output settings, getting it to write to a file so I have changed this back to the CURL default (browser) and commented out some session stuff. There are still some changes to made (eg page support needs to be a bit better).

Hope you all like it :(

152856[/snapback]

Wow! That's a useful tip. The only thing is I doubt I'll ever have the time to actually do this task...not to mention I'm still at the beginning stages of learning php.