xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
NeXDesigns

Windows Longhorn 5048 Comments

What do you think about the Windows Longhorn 5048 Build?I like the glass effects although it is a bit buggy at this point, the startmenu is transpearent when the glass isnt enabled and then solid when it is,Some programs still do not work with this build, im trying to make a list of the ones that dont work on this build.The main bug/error that i see that really annoys me is the explorer error that only shows 50 files, though there is a workaround.The things i miss from this release that were in 4074 is the sidebar, and the image previews for explorer, also the slider that lets you set a size for your icons, that was nice, msn messenger still doesnt really work well with this release, but i did get it to run, you still cant use the automatic sign in still.I also miss the wallpaper that came with 4074 but that can be downloaded (if you want it i have it.)I like the startmenu the way they redid it, but i wish there was a way to also have the classic startmenu (the popup one)Some people complain that their cdr or dvdr drives arent working, but mine work and they burn correctly.Dont ask me where to download longhorn, as you cant from any website, but there are other ways :PIf anyone else has longhorn or has seen something about it, post a comment here

Well, I know this program that transform your personal computer so it looks like windows longhorn. The program is called "Longhorn Transformation Pack 10.5" it uses StyleXP to open it and its pretty cool. Lots of new things and makes your desktop look better depending on your specs.

I still need to get excited about longhorn. Sure it looks good, but will it solve any of the problems that the earlier windows versions have had? I am not so sure. Question 2: is the world waiting for such a platform? I am definitely not yet interested, if only because hardware still needs to catchup for everyone to be able to run these systems. I am more in fravor of keeping things simple so everyone can access mainstream platforms.

As far as I know these are SOME LongHorn fixes.Fixed invalid boot screen resourcesAdded Windows XP Service Pack 2 with Pre-SP3 uxtheme.dll hotfix patching supportRemoved obsolete 64-bit patched uxtheme.dll fileUpdated M3 Boot Screen to monochrome modeUpdated FrameMaximized to read CaptionText easier and some other I don't know yet.

Also here are some programs to make it look more lik LongHorn.Y'z Shadow 1.9 - This will add shadow like DWM effects in WinHEC buildLClock 1.61a - This will change clock in tray to Longhorn look. You can customize it as well as you want.Glass2k 0.92 - This will add transparency to window and taskbar.Madotate 2.02.02 English translation by Windows X - This will emulate task gallery feature. Not really related to Longhorn but it's one emulated from MS Research group.Avedesk 1.1 - Cool desktop widget stuffs. You should get Aero Glass Suite 1 for Avedesk 1.1 for better Longhorn look.Desktop Sidebar 1.04 Build 75 - Well working SideBar but not really close to Longhorn SideBar but FULL OF FEATURESSmartBarXP BETA4.9 - Very close to Longhorn SideBar with rich features but so far so consume too much memorySerious Samurize 1.55 - Ultimate desktop widget to make whatever you want with it.

@ThunderSerious Samurize 1.55-yes that is a very kool tool indeed..I like the preview,but i dont think i will use it,i think that i'll switch to linux very soon..as soon as i find it..wallpapers are very nice,and so is the new start menu,lets just see if they'll improve the firewall system and fix many bugs that XP has...btw,offtopic,do you know where I can find y'z shadow?And please don't say google.