xisto Community
Nani Cheri

Get Rid Of Trojan Horse Think I got one..

Hi everyone!

I think I got the virus Trojan Horse, I have a Norton Anti-virus, and he detected the thing!!! He says its in the system32 directory, but he couldn't delete it. Does anybody knows how to get rid of this sh*t cause think it lowers my inet speed! and comp. performance. Thanks alot!

xxx

Notice from BuffaloHELP:
Moved to Security Issues area. Original post did not belong in tutorials section.
Edited by BuffaloHELP (see edit history)

So what is it, a virus or a trojan horse...It's best if you do a screenshot of what Norton Anti Virus has captured...Or else, state the name of the virus or trojan horse so there's something we can start searching for an answer...

The reason why you can't delete it is that it's still running. What you need to do is find what executable file the virus or trojan is, kill its process, then run Norton and wipe it off. It's best of if kill its process then scan with Norton in quick successions because viruses or trojan horses have a reputation of quickly restarting themselves after you close them.And take a screenshot of what Norton is saying so we can analyze it for you.

Also run a spyware/adware scan.

This thread is helpful:http://forums.xisto.com/topic/84093-spyware-and-adware-remove-em-all/

1. Check that your Virus Program is Updated and do a Full System Scan. (If for some reason this is not working properly skip to number 2 and do the virus update/scan last)

2. Download some free Spy ware/Adware removal tools:
a. Ad-Aware SE Personal
b. CWShredder
c. HijackThis
d. Microsoft AntiSpyware
        e. Spybot - Search & Destroy
f. SpywareBlaster

3. Not free but very good:
a. NoAdware
b. XoftSpy

Search the web and you will find the Microsoft AntiSpyware on Microsoft's site, the link is not allowing me to make it clickable.

After you have downloaded & installed the above programs make sure they are updated and proceed to disinfect.

After you have ran every spy ware/adware program, reboot, but you will want to run the spy ware/adware program once more.

After your done scanning a second time update your virus program and do a full system scan.

4. Make sure Windows is Up to date: http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/windowsupdate/v6/default.aspx

If you are still receiving spy ware/adware make sure your programs are updated boot into safe mode and run the spy ware/adware programs "again".

No its not just cause of that. Norton really does suck. Use The SHield Proffessional 2005 or Bitdefender 2005 and it should take it off. I mean Norton is a waste of space. First of all it uses TONS of ram and second its not rated on the top 5 so i mean it just sucks. Mcafee can do better than that. Only dumb corporate buisnesses use this thats about it.

No its not just cause of that. Norton really does suck. Use The SHield Proffessional 2005 or Bitdefender 2005 and it should take it off. I mean Norton is a waste of space. First of all it uses TONS of ram and second its not rated on the top 5 so i mean it just sucks. Mcafee can do better than that. Only dumb corporate buisnesses use this thats about it.

151094[/snapback]

Well, BitDefender kinda sucks, too. Kevin Rose did a round of of brand name firewalls way back when he used to work for TechTV, and it showed that BitDefender was the worst out of the programs that he tested.

I agree, Norton is a waste of space, but many people are stuck with it because it comes with so many new computers nowaday.

Actually, Mcafee kinda stinks, too. I looked at several tests of antivirus programs, and it showed the Mcafee had a low detection rate, and it is a bloated software.

Hey, I have Nortorn Anti-virus also. The weird thing is I had the Trojan Horse Virus before, also. Do you guys know what it does? It randomly downloads stuff to your computer, no matter what it is. Thats why there is alot of junk in your computer, even after you deleted it.Hey, do you have the "upgraded" version of Nortorn, because I deleted my virus with 2005 Nortorn...

Nani Cheri

If you know the location and the file name(s) of the file in question, start your computer in SAFE MODE. Then physically delete the file(s) and rerun your NAV once again. After the complete satisfaction that your computer is free from any anomalies, restart your computer to the NORMAL MODE.

Good luck.

Edited by BuffaloHELP (see edit history)

The best thing is to delete the trojan on your own. I had to do this once, when I tried to install Norton and it shut down. I looked at Task manager into processes and found my trojan. Then I searched for it using windows search and deleted it manualy. B) Truthfuly, I had luck. :P Lots of luck! B) After all you can stil do the old trick -> format c: B)

Nani Cheri

If you know the location and the file name(s) of the file in question, start your computer in SAFE MODE. Then physically delete the file(s) and rerun your NAV once again. After the complete satisfaction that your computer is free from any anomalies, restart your computer to the NORMAL MODE.

Good luck.

151210[/snapback]

How would one go about starting their computer in Safe Mode? And how does Safe Mode differ from when the computer is running normally? :P

Try putting the virus/trojan/whatevers name into Google, allot of times that will bring up removals for it.Oh, and to start your computer in Safe Mode, restart your computer, and..uh..well it depends on what ver you have, you have to hit F8(I think) on the right screen, I can't exactly say which one, so just keep hitting F8 on each screen or..idk.

Hi everyone!

I think I got the virus Trojan Horse, I have a Norton Anti-virus, and he detected the thing!!! He says its in the system32 directory, but he couldn't delete it. Does anybody knows how to get rid of this sh*t cause think it lowers my inet speed! and comp. performance. Thanks alot!

xxx

Notice from BuffaloHELP:
Moved to Security Issues area. Original post did not belong in tutorials section.

151003[/snapback]