xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
c3nar1us

Joystick Problem Converting Game Port to USB

This looks like the closest matching forum for my problem; apologies if it's not.I have an old MS SideWinder Pro Plus joystick that I've had forever, mainly to play X-Wing vs. TIE Fighter. I recently got the urge to play it again, but when I dragged the trusty SideWinder out of the storage box, I discovered my Abit NF7-S2 mobo doesn't have a game port. It does have onboard sound, so I don't have the usual sound card game port either.I bought a Belkin DB-15 joystick game port-to-USB adapter off the net. It's supposedly specifically for SideWinders, presumably because they have a specific pin configuration. However, it doesn't work. WinXP doesn't detect the adapter when it's plugged in. Seeing as it's a passive device, that doesn't surprise me greatly, but when the SideWinder is plugged in it doesn't detect that either.Any help?-c3nar1us-

I think that, as your motherboard has no game port, you may not have the required drivers in the first place. I have never seen this used specifically for game ports, but installing drivers has helped in similar problems. Also check Belkin's website to see if anyone else has had the problem and if drivers / updates are available.

Its better to get one of those Xbox 360 controllers for PC. They are easy to use. And it comes with the driver. I have it too and its the best controller I ever had in my hand. I dont want to admit it but this is the first time MS makes a good product. Therefore I had some cheap plastic controllers wich didnt last long.