xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
andrescasta

How To Tweak Pda Batteries? www.cliehelp.com.ar

Notice from BuffaloHELP:
I have concern with this tutorial. Although it may seem like a tutorial it only applies to limited PDA devices. Addition to this, something similiar to this topic was already posted by this member in the past (under "cliehelp" ID). I believe this should be considered as a helpful tip and not as a tutorial. What are other mods think?

Notice from BuffaloHELP:
I am approving this topic and moving to Hardware section

I write this review because, all the pda user's need this information to extend the battery life of the pda's.... I want to share it with you:::

In this review we will try to understand the PDA's battery evolution, and how to improve the duration of it.

The First Palm Pda (16mhz and 256k ram), worked with 2 alkaline batteries of 1.5 V , the advantage of this is that if your batteries died, you didn't need to spent around U$S35 to replace it.

Posted Image

Then when faster processor, backlight or frontlight came, these alkaline batteries didn`t maked the job, so the rechargeable batteries (Nickel Cadmiun/Metal) take the place of the first's.

The problem of this batteries is that if you not discharged completely, then they would not charge anymore.

Finally the Li-ion polymer batteries take the place, Sony and PalmOne use them.

So, ÂżHow to improve the duration, and the lifetime?

The first time that you use your pda, you need to charge it for about 4 or 5hs, depending on your model (Check the manual), so the principal thing you need to take care to increase the autonomy of the battery are:

1. Turn off the backlight/frontlight or set the brightness at the minimal value (when possible).

2. Disable the Beam Recieve setting, in Preferences/General on the PalmOS, this is because if the Beam Recieve is on, the infrared port is scanning all time to detect another device. So only when you going to beam somethig, enable it.

3. Set the Auto power off, in 2 or less minutes, sometimes a value lower of 2 is irritating, specially when you are reading, etc, (when you are not using the stylus).

Meanwhile you use the pda, the battery level will decrease, depending on for what you use the pda, for example you can use your cliĂŠ for approximately 10 days, 30 minutes each day if you do not use the audio function, but if you play music or videos, the duration decrease to 2 or 3 hours.

So, in order to increase the lifetime of a Li-ion Polymer battery you should charge the battery every day, or if the battery level indicates 65% or more, you can put to charge too.

I'm not saying that you can't use the battery at the maximun, but generally proceed like i described before.

Another thing to pay attention is that If your battery drains and you leave your pda in an uncharged state for an exetended period of time, then is probably that your battery no charge again.

Posted Image

This review is hosted in my site:

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

andrescasta

Edited by BuffaloHELP (see edit history)