xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
mahesh2k

What Is The Shell?

If you are newbie to Unix and Linux then you heard "Shell" so many times,What the hell is a shell?When i was new to linux,i was so confused with Shell and console so many times,so here i want to uncover the hell of Shell.A shell is a special program which gives you the familar text mode prompt.You can use it to start other programs and it understands some special commands of its own.Sometimes these special commands are combined into a file which can be run all at once,in sequence.A shell performs 2 basic functions - It acts as a command interpreter and as a programming language. As a command interpreter it is somewhat similar to DOS. As a programming interface it allows you to process commands stored in shell scripts. This is somewhat similar to batch files in DOS.There are several different shells that you can use,Most popular with programmers is called the "C Shell".Linux has its own version called "tcsh", the most common shells are Bourne, C, Korn and Bash.[1] Bourne shell - The Bourne shell is activated by typing sh and is represented by a $ prompt. This was one of the first shells and still one of the most popular. [2]C shell - This shell resembles the C programming language and is represented by a % prompt. The command to use this shell is csh. The C shell was buggy, but had important features so people had to switch back and forth between this one and Bourne. This shell has more advanced shell-programming features and a diffrentyntax for some operations.[3] Korn shell - Korn shell is written in short as(ksh),has simple graphical capabilities.This is a combination of the C and Bourne shells and is represented with a $ prompt. David Korn from AT&T came along and took features of the C shell and added them to the Bourne shell to try to fix it.[4] Bash -Bash stands for "Bourne Again Shell". This one came about as the Korn shell was not free and demand for a free shell began to grow. Obviously Linux using this one.Bash has more advanced features than the origianal bourne shell and it is more user friendly.Shell is started when :You log on to a text console a shell is started automatically.Or by runing terminal window (Such as Xterm,Or Kterm in KDE).Sometimes we want to perform complex task in Linux or Unix.then to perform it we need to write a script .A script is file that contains shell commands which can interact with the user,repeat commands and make decisions.To script for the shell is another study concept called as "Shell Programming".Though i m not efficient in Shell programming i will try to cover the basic if you want to know more about it.Reply or PM me if you want me to write another article.

You mean its not really a gas station?!?!? :unsure: Lol.... yeah anywho this is kinda helpful because I have intentions of getting/building a new computer and to keep it somewhat cheaper.... linnux was an idea and if i dont know what a common term is then hey! I'm in trouble! Lol... yeah thanks for the info!

Well, Shell is a gas station, yes. lolThe Shell of a Linux OS is what makes it run. I believe it is the start up that executes many small programs, in order to provide support to the hardware components, so that they may all run together.

I believe it is the start up that executes many small programs, in order to provide support to the hardware components, so that they may all run together.

Shell is not a startup program that executes many small programs.The startup programs are initialized by the Linux Init program & kernel

I have been trying to put linux on my laptop but no luck so far. People have told me that its the best for programers and its free. I Have tried with knopix but i havent been able to boot it by some odd reason. I am looking for a shell to admin a irc server but till then i will work with windows. :(:D

A shell is a command line prompt, often used to enter commands into a computer. Shells and the like are often most associated with POSIX-based operating systems, such as Unix, Solaris, and Linux, but Microsoft Windows has a DOS shell. A software interface between the user and the computer's operating system. The shell interprets commands entered by the user, and passes them on to the operating system. DOS shells are COMMAND.COM and DOS shell; some UNIX shells are the Bourne shell (sh), the C shell (csh), and the Korn shell (ksh).