xisto Community
psychiccyberfreak

Windex Got Behind My Pda's Screen! AHHHHH HELP

what do you think will work best?  

1 member has voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Help!!!I was cleening my PDA screen, and wham! windex crawled behind my PDA's screen like my worst nightmare!I did everything I could. now it's hanging in front of my dehumidifyer.Does anyone have any suggestions?btw, it got better, and it didn't mess with the inside. Hopfully it wont, but the screen is seperate from the components (I have a sony clie PEG-UX50)so please, tell me what to do on a low budget, please!

for future knowledge do not use windex as it is a hard abrasive and could scratch the surface permanetly1. Use "mild" soap & water next time you want to clean a monitor, laptop, pda2. place the PDA in front of a fan overnight should dry it out.3. make sure the battery is disconnected until you feel that it is fully dry

I found this on another forum:

Oooooooook, dont turn the unit back on. Leave it off and remove the batteries. Now sit it on a shelf for a few days and give the Windex time to completely evaporate. It shouldnt take more than 3 days. After this, put in the batteries and turn it back on. If it still doesnt work, theres nothing left to do. I work on PC's for a living and I've had systems with almost any liquid you can imagine spilled in and on them and this is the routine I always follow and for the most part it works. I had a very similar incident with a new laptop someone brought in, he cleaned his screen with 409 then it was lights out. You've got nothing to lose at this point anyway.

So, do you think I should still keep it in front of my air conditioner?

I found this on the same page:

Maybe try putting a towel over a table lamp shade and set the Axim to rest there for a few hours (with the light on of course). The heat rising from the lamp should be enough. Please look for a lamp with a lower wattage bulb in it too. 40-60 watts. I would do this and evaluate the results every hour or so.

and,

I also happened to be stupid enough to put some alcohol directly on my X5's screen to clean it, and it leaked under it. A huge bubble formed and even though the thing still worked, the touch screen sensitivity was completely lost. Okay, the regular symptoms.However, I happen to work in a laboratory where I have access to a vacuum "box" that is used to keep reagents moisture free, so I put it inside. The alcohol dried up in a few minutes and the touch sensitivity came back to life; however, a stain remained at the spot where the bubble had been. The stain apparently is some kind of icky residue from the evaporation. It looks bad, but is only visible with some light reflections or when the unit is off. The real, annoying problem is that if I press the screen on the stain, the two layers of the screen stick together again and the touch sensitivity is lost again. I've found I can fix this easily in the lab without having to put it in vacuum, just using the pump hose directly on the screen to 'suck' and separate the 'membranes'. Sucking with the mouth worked for me once, but the cleaning afterwards is messy and not worth it. :D
This is getting quite annoying not only for the bad aspect of the stain, but mainly because if the screen sticks away from a sucking device, I'm basically screwed for a while. So, I was thinking of deliberately introducing a liquid to rinse the stain and then vacuum-evaporate it; however, I am still doubting whether I should do it and what liquid to use. I could use distilled water, but I am afraid that water might not evaporate as readily and/or not dissolve the icky stain. I was thinking about using reagent grade isopropanol (which in theory should be purer than the ethanol I was using), but I don't know if it could damage the internal membrane irreversibly. I am also afraid that the stain might come not from an impurity of the original ethanol, but from something it dissolved along the way and so using isopropanol could just make the problem worse.

what do you think will work best?

wow, I'm such a retard, I used my own vacuum, and it just came right out. A little blue stain, but I know how to fix that :devil:so topic closed, I'm happy, thanks for all the support trap 17, later!P.S. in dedication to the "windex incident" I will make a tutorial at Xisto, and my site. Later!

Yay. Problem solved -> thread closed.psychic, please do not quintuple post next time. Instead, report your own post and we moderators and admins will edit it for you.Thanks you.