xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
varunone

Ibm Push Button Recovery IBMs new think center series

Has any one heard about the new IBM think center series that allow plp to restore there system by push of a button ?I was wondering if there is something similar for old computers/laptops ?Any news ?Cheers

Hi varunone,Yup the closest thing is the "system restore" function in windows. All IBM has done is write a really big DOS batch file program that calls the system restore function thru the windows system API interface and linked the program to a "special" keyboard key. The key activates the program & voilla .. system is restored like "magic". Pretty basic programming..really.Somebody else will come out with something similar soon..I'll betRGPHNX

Cool, So i think i can make a dos batch file or a simple program for the purpose ... that is if you are correct about the approach ... but how do i connect an external key to a internal program.I think it might have to do with the ATX technology.I'll search on it more ... until then if some one gets closer please post :-)Cheers.

connecting a key to a program is not that difficult, take a look at the microsoft 'white papers'they did it for the offive keyboard. pretty basic stuff really. I think that ibm is a great innovator, love the new 'fingerprint security feature' as well. But I am not so wild about the backup/recovery option. takes up too much space in my opinion. I am still in favor of external (cd etc) backup options. Its not such a great feature on small tablet pc's that have limited memory cpace - like the new X41