xisto Community
andrescasta

Internet Explorer.... With Tabs!

Yes, it?s finally true. Stuck on like a big band aid, courtesy of MSN Toolbar 1.2, we have IE with tabs. Well ahead of the release of Internet Explorer 7, Microsoft has done what they just absolutely needed to do, and have provided tabbed browsing for Internet Explorer. Things are fairly undeveloped at this stage, but reports talk about it running fast and supporting most features you'd want. "It's a more powerful functionality in a pretty robust tool offering, which already has a number of differentiators with form fill and the access to MSN services in the toolbar" MSN Product Manager Justin Osmer said. "We announced we were going to do tabbed browsing when we released the final version last month?and here it is." The upgrade will allow users to open multiple sites, each in different windows with a tab at the top, directly underneath the menu bar?with the intention of making it easier to switch among pages. The functionality also will let users save "routines" in an unlimited number of tabs, which have been dubbed "My Tabs." So, a user who routinely checks a weather site, two news sites and the family photo album can save each URL in a tab, and every time that person opens a browser, those sites will automatically appear in the tabs. Users will be able to edit their "My Tabs" as desired.

If you have to download the MSN toolbar for the tabs, then I'll still use FireFox for tabbed browsing. Microsoft didn't want to implement this feature but they had to to get FF users to use IE. I try and avoid using any extra toolbars in IE, especially from Microsoft, as they generally open up security loopholes.

It still doesn't solve the problem that The Internet Explorer engine is funamentally flawed, in numerouse ways not least the security holes, it is however a step in the right direction for Microsoft, however I do (well did) also like to avoid using additional toolbars. and while I think this will help Internet Explorer, Microsoft have to admit that IE is flawed and I consider the best thing for them to do with it is to start again.

I dunno. I agree with dontmainyourself when he says that Internet Explorer should just startt all over again. I like the tabbed browsing, but there are other things taht Firefox offers. People mainly switched to Firefox because they all heard thatt it was much safer. Most people aren't really sure how much safer or if it really is safer but with the comfort people go on whatever with Firefox.

MUahahahahaha, Microsoft development got screwed. They used to be ones to set standards in the computing world. Now there are conforming to other companies standards. Took them a while to realize that tabbed browsing is crazy, albeit a little late. Anyways, goodjob to FireFox and the pressure it put on Microsoft.

Yes, Microsoft has been known for being behind others when it comes to releasing things that are already on the market. I always use Firefox because of its functionality, security, and its ability to be skinned. And I agree with everyone here, Microsoft should just start all over on Internet Explorer. Let them try to "reinvent the web".

I will not use Internet Explorer as much as possible...But my school uses a very Microsoft-based network and their PCs are all equiped with Microsoft products...You can never find foreign products in their PCs...Worst still, we are not allowed to install FireFox in their PCs... so its Internet Exporer all the way in school..We also cannot access our intranet out of school with firefox...They simply blocks it... Not just firefox, other browsers like Opera and other non-IE browsers cannot access the intranet too...Now we all have to rely on Microsoft products in school...

Well, most of the people are actually using IE. But more "proffesional" peoples, and webmasters etc chooses the best programs, which is Firefox and Opera.The reason is simple: Firefox and Opera is1. Faster2. More secure3. Have tabbed browsing. (Operas tabs works a little different than Firefox)4. Internet Explorer has some bugs that aren't in other browsers.

yeah, I agree there are a number of features missing in IE and of course tabbed browsing is one of them..but we must accept that the parser that IE has to parse html files is superior to that of netscape or firefox...just a min... b4 u disagree let me tell u I am stating this coz of my experience while developing webpages.. if there is a certain tag missing or not closed the other browsers just mess up the page display but IE somehow manages to put up a proper display..I am not saying that the webpages should have such errors but just talking about the quality of parsing and guessing that the IE parser does...btw I use a browser that is built on the IE engine. its called maxthon... it has tabbed browsing and other featuers that are missing in IE.I have also used netscape and firefox.. I like them too but wud stick to maxthon...:DCheers.

The tabbed browsing feature is very glitchy at the moment and not very usable. I am looking forward to IE7, I just hope it has tabbed browsing better intregrated into it. I think IE is a great browser and I absolutely love Maxthon but unfortunate I am stuck with using Firefox because of three extension, AdBlock, FlashBlock, and NukeAnything. I am hoping that there will be some sort of plugins that do the same in IE7. BTW, I really don't think people need to worry about security flaws in IE. If you have some common sense you probably won't get a virus or a malware in your system. Anyone security-conscious enough to think about switching to another browser is already smart enough to avoid malware.

Yes, Microsoft has been known for being behind others when it comes to releasing things that are already on the market. I always use Firefox because of its functionality, security, and its ability to be skinned. And I agree with everyone here, Microsoft should just start all over on Internet Explorer. Let them try to "reinvent the web".

149865[/snapback]

Microsoft Being Behind !!!! I really disagree with that ... microsoft was the first GUI based OS i had ever seen. true linux has been around for a long time but only in recent times has linux been USABLE at all. I have a old intel 800MHzs computer with 64 mb ram and a MPEG2 based graphic card. I have never been able to install linux on that, not even the lastest versions from fedora and mandrake (mandriva) etc ... But Windows 98 works perfectly.

And the MS-DOS which brought PCs into people's home ... how can we over look that.

I fell people are unneccessarily ganging up on microsoft ! Fire fox and internet explorer are no difference when it comes to speed except for when pipelining is enabled and that too only for broadband connections. (Try cablenut and IE will seem faster )

Many sites take ages to load on Firefox and many graphics simply dont load at all !!! However everthing looks perfect in IE. How many of us make sites compatible with IE ... and how many really bother to check how it looks on forefox ? )

Fine, tabbed browsing is great in Fire Fox ... but its not something so great also ( i know many will disagree) It was opera that came up with it in the first place but plp never went crazy for it

I feel many have started using Firefox only because there has been such a hype about it and everyone is talking about it ... Firefox first edition had numerous bugs but no 1 complained cause it was kept under covers. Fire Fox has come out with the 4th release ... 3rd in under 4 months !!! And still we talk about IE. Atleast microsoft has the guts to warn plp about its faults ! And worst part being you have to install the entire s/w again to update it.

After installing SP2 i have not found any new updates ... or any problems in using IE. And the pop-up blocker is just perfect. Unlike firefox which has lack of control

And there are soo many things that dont work with firefox ... try ftp access for instance ... after some time the entire explorer.exe will crash !

Windows is a great OS and they have great features ... even linux cannot be compared. Just because its free does not mean its the best ! I just got a new compaq laptop and installed windows xp and linux on it. While windows gives me a whole 3hrs backup ... linux sucks the batteries in just above 1 hr. This alone is enough reason for me to stick with windows.

There are lot of options available for browsers and even OS now ... but i strongly feel people should not make comments about windows without seeing the true facts and pictures.

How many of us have actually re-searched and made a sensible decision to ditch IE for firefox ? 85% people move to firefox only because they have HEARD its good and fast ... but they dont know that 90% of such comments are made by people using pirated versions of windows and who have screwed there systems running illegal softwares with loads of virus and spywares !

Think

Cheers

The functionality also will let users save "routines" in an unlimited number of tabs, which have been dubbed "My Tabs." So, a user who routinely checks a weather site, two news sites and the family photo album can save each URL in a tab, and every time that person opens a browser, those sites will automatically appear in the tabs. Users will be able to edit their "My Tabs" as desired.

149788[/snapback]

This is something that Opera allows you to do as well. They're just called "sessions". It's an interesting feature, although it does not save pages for offline viewing... that can be good and bad. If you're on broadband, you'd like pages to be updated everytime, so good; but otherwise you might want to actually save the content sometimes, and there is no option that allows you to do that.

Just because its free does not mean its the best !

It's not just that it's free, but that it's freeware. Learning programmers can tinker with the OS code and get some practice. Experienced programmers can contribute to development. From all over the world. MS is closed source, and perhaps fails to give the 'community' feeling. I don't have a problem with the OS not being free, it's just that I, as an individual, may not find it worth that money, which is when Linux becomes a good option :D Similar sentiments, probably, go for other s/w.

Hope it does not rain stones here...

***chooses to stay away from the ff/ie debate***

Getting a little tired of it, actually... no offense, though.

Cheers, and peace :D

I agree that firefox is open source but most of us dont know is that windows allow you to have the source of IE free of cost if you are developing something based on IE. How else you think so many extensions have come up for IE. (The most popular being yahoo integration as an example ) There is lot of support available try MSDN.But the fact really is that we are actually comparing Firefox a new browser with a old, very old IE. But if we include SP2 and IE 6.0, which are of the same age as Firefox then we see no plus points for firefox.A lot of people are saying that firefox is better, its faster and no spyware ! these people are comparing only with the IE that was there until last year. I believe IE 6.0 along with SP2 is the most secure browser.People having IE 6.0 have had no problems and its pop-up blocker and privacy engine has literally kill spyware.And then when u already have this..why over load your system with another browser ?!Think ...Cheers