xisto Community
Joannespw

Is Paying With Paypal Safe? your opinion and experiences please

Is Paypal safe?  

43 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

http://www.paypalwarning.com/

I have considered opening a pay pal account to conduct transactions on the web but after reading this webite I am not so sure...

It offers plenty of warnings and stories of people that were scammed. I am curious about your opinions and experiences if any.

EDIT : Please check your spellings
Edited by OpaQue (see edit history)

I haven't had any problems for more than a year now, however they do charge for pretty much everything you do.You gotta be smart with it though, not believe everything you get in your inbox. Registering paypal through gmail helps a lot since gmail has excelent junk mail filters.

Never had any problems with PayPal and I've had an account for just over a year now. I think it is a great service and whenever I use it, it's a pleasure.

I got a business account and all I had issues with Security measures taken by paypal. I was asked for documents and proofs but I feel they are for good sake.The only trouble is people who get paypal address passwords and the purchases and orders done using that. It is just like using fake credit card numbers. However, one must admit, paypal security measures are fast and quick.

I got a business account and all I had issues with Security measures taken by paypal. I was asked for documents and proofs but I feel they are for good sake.

The only trouble is people who get paypal address passwords and the purchases and orders done using that. It is just like using fake credit card numbers. However, one must admit, paypal security measures are fast and quick.

149461[/snapback]

There is some truth in what the website says, but that has more to do with what experts call "phishing," which is luring oblivious email users into a trap where they give vital secure information. The most common one I've gotten so far is the Paypal one, and I NEVER read those, I just delete them and go straight to the actual site. The fake Paypal mails are usually easy to spot, but you never know.

I have been using paypal for some time now and haven't encountered any problems yet. I also haven't had any payment transfering money form my bank account to my paypal account and using it to buy stuff on ebay. However, I understand your fear of opening up an account with paypal and giving out all your info, but it is practically the same as having online banking. So you need to monitor your transactions and your statements closely to check that the info that appears in your statement is correct. Good luck

I never had any problems but the most expensive thing I bought using this account was like $50. Basically don't link your bank account to Paypal because then they can go directly to your bank account and get money. Just put a low credit limit credit card on the account. Paypal cannot directly get money off the credit card (but they can get it from a bank account).I currently have a $500 limit credit card on that account. If something happens, it is only $500 and in most cases, the credit card company will not make me pay for fraud.In my opinion, you should not be buying stuff that cost more than $500 off ebay anyway. It is a huge risk.

So overall it sounds like its pretty safe. I have heard a lot about email scammers trying to get info and bank details. For anyone who is interested this webstie has some very interesting stories. http://www.419eater.com/
Its a scam the scammer website where crazy (in my opinion) people have a lot of fun getting back at scammers. the letters section is where you will find the interseting stories

I must admit, I've heard some horror stories re-PayPal. However, I've used it for quite some time now and so far haven't had any problems ...... hope I haven't jinxed myself by saying that ..... xx

ya ... i have a paypal account too .. personally i think that paying with paypal is safe ... i'm using it every month for a few hundred bucks and never had a problem with paypal .. the problem is just that accepting payment with paypal is not that safe enough ... anyone after paying you and received the product could lauch a chargeback with paypal and normally paypal will do it ... so you will lose money with it ...

I have had an account for over a year now. I use it from time to time to pay for items bought in Ebay. I haven't had any problems so far. But i am aware of the scams and yeah you risk losing money if your password is known or hacked into by another person. That's why youre advised to change your passwod every now and then.

I think PayPal is a cool thing, but I have had trouble with this service. I was using eBay and I bought an item that required immediate pay using PayPal. So, I bought it and proceeded with PayPal, which was supposed to charge my credit card for the purchase. Instead, it charged my bank account that had no funds in it. A couple days later, I got a statement from the bank saying that I had an overdraw fee. I was really p-o'd about this, so I tried contacting PayPal to find out why this happened. First of all, their help service doesn't make it easy to send them an email from their web site. But I tried anyways and send it. I got not response. I tried again - no response again.Luckily, my banker understood my problem and removed the overdraw fee. But conclusively, I now have a negative impression for PayPal.

I think PayPal is a cool thing, but I have had trouble with this service.

their help service doesn't make it easy to send them an email from their web site. But I tried anyways and send it. I got not response. I tried again - no response again.

150390[/snapback]

This seems to be a common complaint, do others have problems with the help service of pay pal? I am not too keen on joining an organisation that has bad service.

thanks everyone for the responses, this is all really great stuff for someone who is thinking about opening a paypal account.