xisto Community
DoR

General Discussion: Artificial Intelligence (AI) Projects, software, tools... etc.

Reading Slashdot, some days ago, found an article about a simulation of the human brain called Blue Brain.

The interesting thing is, could we someday completly emulate the human intelligence?

What about feelings? sensations?

Is there a good software to generate and use Artificial Neural Networks? I know some of them but are dificult to use, like SNNS from Stutgart.

People keep messing with mother nature and mother natures is going to butt them in the behind. Not saying Im not a fan of technology(obviously I am) but I rather people spend time fixing problems we already have or the ones we created.

Artificial intelligence has always fascinated me. At first I read a lot of Asimov books but then I moved on to read up on Vernor Vinge. Vinge and some other scientists have theorized about a technological singularity. A very real point in the near future where computers will not only be as smart as humans, but smarter. The reason this is referred to as a technological singularity is that as soon as computers become smarter than humans, then computers begin building smarter computers, which in turn build smarter computers and everything gets out of control. I for one welcome our computer masters and promise to be a good slave J

Artificial intelligence has always fascinated me.  At first I read a lot of Asimov books but then I moved on to read up on Vernor Vinge.  Vinge and some other scientists have theorized about a technological singularity.  A very real point in the near future where computers will not only be as smart as humans, but smarter.  The reason this is referred to as a technological singularity is that as soon as computers become smarter than humans, then computers begin building smarter computers, which in turn build smarter computers and everything gets out of control.

I for one welcome our computer masters and promise to be a good slave J

150093[/snapback]

Reading you post reminded me to Terminator plot. ;-)

what can I say? wouldn't it be great to download your brain into a computer and live forever?

149411[/snapback]

There was a great television series made by the BBC called Cold Lazarus (directed and written (I think both) by Dennis Potter (who also made The Singing Detective)).

Basically it's sometime in the future and a company has managed to keep the head or a person alive and are using his brain and watching all his memories. It's quite scary in the way that you really don't want anything like that happening to you.

Artificial Intelligence is what computer scientist all over the world are working upon right now. Especially organizations like NASA and all other related to robotics engineering are working a great deal on it.But do you think will it help mankind if a real human like robot is built with complete AI like a real human. Or will it create a disater like shown in hollywood flick IROBOT

The computers that we are using today are actually under the Artificial Inteligence. We can communicate with them though binary system (if I am not wrong, I don't know much about computer programmin) those zeros and ones. But the definition of AI is more complex now. it has something to do with Robots that think by themselves without human interference. AI would be very helpful to us, unless some weirdo would create something from it to conquer or destroy the world. I hope the terrorist can't acquire somthing big that could do an artificial intelegence to destroy us all.

it would help resolve some problems like world hunger. but we have to controll it and ourselfs to not let "matrix" happen. there is a very thin line between good and evil in this toppic...

it would help resolve some problems like world hunger. but we have to controll it and ourselfs to not let "matrix" happen. there is a very thin line between good and evil in this toppic...

197055[/snapback]

I think there is a lot of confusion about AI. Originally it simply meant: reasoned conclusion of facts by an non-living entitiy. like a computer. Something that is created by humans, and but which either gathers its information by itself or starts with some given information, but can interact with humans in a way that give the impression of intelligence and understanding. Important here is the word impression of.

The "oldest" test is the so called Turing test - from the Scott who developed one of the first computers - he programmed something called Elsa, that could ask you questions like -how are you and would react to the answers in a seemingly coherent way. This method is still being used. Can a machine fool a human into assuming it is a human?

Another big example is of course Chess. One of the most famous battles - Kasparov vs. Deep Blue was of human against machines, the computer making seemingly intelligent moves and winning in the end.

The problem with intelligence is of course, is there a consciousness of the intelligence and can the intelligence be used in a different situation. f.e Kasparov could probably beat Deep Blue right after that match in a game of Backgammon, because the computer is not programmed to play backgammon. And even though Kasparov is not an expert, he would probably have enough basic intelligence to play decent enough to beat the computer.

Equally there was a race of computerised cars in Palo Alto, California. They raced for more than 200 miles without human interaction. This is another example of artifical intelligence. But again, how good would this car be at playing chess.

You might think that is a stupid question, but untill computer can a)programme themselves, b ) build themselves c) build the machines that are necessary to build themselves d)learn from mistakes (ok not all human can do that either) e)ignore unimportant side information.

There is no way we will be replaced by a single machine in the near future.

Some AI that is supposed to make our life easier is in my thinking downright annoying. Clippy, the magic helper in Microsoft Word is another example of AI gone totally wrong. If I need help I tell you that I need help. <pling> I think you are writing a letter</pling> NOOOO! <pling> I think you want to insert the date here</pling> GO AWAY.

hope this helps ^_^

hahah. Oh my god, that would be so crazy!I would be all like a robot activist trying to stop the violence. =p Yeah, but wouldn't the thought of discovering life on a planet be a bit more interesting?

then they will question why do they take orders from mere mortals?

Why? Why don't you kill your mom?

AI is a great part of HUMAN activity and plays important rule in tomorrows science. There will be things (acctualy there are things right now), that need AI.

OCAC said:

Important here is the word impression of.

And I would put importance on: reasoned conclusion of facts by an non-living entitiy

Here is an example of AI:

http://www.alicebot.org/

But do you think will it help mankind if a real human like robot is built with complete AI like a real human

This is FAR away from achieving. We, humans, don't even know how our brains work (we know only about 3% of it's functions, I think). Anyway, there is a lot more to be done in neuro science, before we can pass onto creating humanoid robots.

Or will it create a disater like shown in hollywood flick IROBOT

I Robot is a book by Isaac Asimov. Great guy (was), who writes about a lot of interesting things. I've read his book called "Colapsing Universe", and it's great (despite the year it was published, 1974, I think, cant remmeber) but I haven't reat "I robot" yet. I've never heard about the movie, so I might look for that too.

I remember seeing somewhere that the Japanese have commercially developed a robot who is capable of recognizing people and holding conversation with them. I think its price was around $3,000 and he can do chores and protect the house by detecting intruders and sending you video feed or message to you cell phone. What do you all think about that? Do you think its worth it for the price? I think that in a few more years we are going to have, (what was the jetsons maid name?)... whatever... We are going to have these type of robots in our houses.