xisto Community
andrescasta

How To Make Bootable Cd-roms? In Linux

You must have an 1.44 MB bootable floppy-disk. Create an exact image of this floppy-disk by issuing the command

dd if=/dev/fd0 of=boot.img bs=18k

Place this floppy image into the directory holding the collection of your files (or into a subdirectory of it, just as you like). Tell mkisofs about this file with the option '-b' and also use '-c'. For details read the file README.eltorito in the mkisofs-distribution.

An interesting application for a custom bootable CD is as a virus safe DOS- or Windows-system. It saves you the money for the hard disks (if you have a network and use samba to put the user-data on a file server).

Notice from BuffaloHELP:
This article was copied from section 4.11 of /search?q=cache:gHCgvlient%3Dfirefox-a&gbv=1&sei=r6nhV7PXBsuze8LWs-gM
Placed quotes.

Edited by BuffaloHELP (see edit history)

You must have an 1.44 MB bootable floppy-disk. Create an exact image of this floppy-disk by issuing the command

dd if=/dev/fd0 of=boot.img bs=18k

Place this floppy image into the directory holding the collection of your files (or into a subdirectory of it, just as you like). Tell mkisofs about this file with the option '-b' and also use '-c'. For details read the file README.eltorito in the mkisofs-distribution.

An interesting application for a custom bootable CD is as a virus safe DOS- or Windows-system. It saves you the money for the hard disks (if you have a network and use samba to put the user-data on a file server).

Notice from BuffaloHELP:
This article was copied from section 4.11 of /search?q=cache:gHCgvlient%3Dfirefox-a&gbv=1&sei=86zhV-7HM8GzesHYscAH

Placed quotes.

149094[/snapback]

1st if all, you didnt make an elaborate description of the nmethods by which someone can make bootable CDs.

I have been making bootable CDs as long as I can remember and I have never had to go through the somewhat cumbersome processes and commands you listed above. You should try to make any tutorial you write to be as user friendly and easy for anyone who will want to use them. Always assume that your audience has 0% knowledge of the thing your are giving the tut on.

Here is what I do.....

1. I have a list of all the programs that can make a bootable CD for Win 95 down to WinXP Pro and also for the Manddrake and RedHat Linux.

2. Simply launch the program and instruct it to either write the bootable CD image (.img format) to a specified folder in your HD and then you can consequently copy/move to an empty 1.44MB floppy or (to make the work much more easier for you, insert an empty 1.44MB floppy disk into your Floppy drive and instruct it to write into the floppy. Click on the write button for the image to be written.

3. Insert an empty CD into your CD R/RW (CD burner drive) or DVD R/RW drive and launch your burning software (I use Nero v6.0 Ultra Edition) and click on the bootable CD icon in the pre-launch window. Nero (Iam more conversant with that soft) automatically queries your floppy drive for the bootable image file and if found, displays the flopy drive as t he source drive for the image file, but if there is no image file in the flopy, you can manually type in the folder/directory in which you have the image file saved (this process is meant for Administrators and people who are very conversant with the bootable image creation. So, if you dont know what to do here, simply use the floppy disk).

4 The next thing you will have to do will be to click on new to make a new burning compilation from your HDD and after that, start the burning process.

Note: Please do not remove the floppy containing the bootable image file from your floppy drive during the burning process. Your burner caches and creates the bootable image which it writes into the CD from the floppy (That is, if your bootable image is in the floppy).

After that you are done, go ahead and burn. Your CD is 100% guaranteed to be bootable.

If anyone is interested in getting the bootable image creators, please send an email to odomike@odowebdesigns.uni.cc or odomike@gmail.com. They are all freewares I downloaded from microsoft and therefore are not Warez.

Enjoy!!