xisto Community
mama_soap

A Couple Of Quick Suggestions Spellcheck and new subforums?

I have been wondering - it will be really nice if we could have a spellcheck feature on these forums. I'd personally like to quickly spell check my posts before sending them in. I know that the "Preview" feature should suffice, and anyone really obsessed with spellchecking should probably copy his(/her) post on a text editor and check it there. However, this is a facility I've been used to on a few other forums, and it'll be a nice add-on. It would probably help members whose first language is not English as well.

I am not too sure about this one, but I'd like to see the Creativity Forums split into two subforums, if that is not too much trouble - personal and non-personal. I find that personal poetry is generally very different from poetry you want to get published, and I would react differently to a poem if it was written for publication. If there are enough people here who want professional feedback and aim to make a beginning in the lit scene out there, perhaps they deserve a corner of their own? If such a corner does come up, I can promise to contribute there.

(For those who believe that so-called 'professional' poetry has its roots in personal feelings, I must mention that I agree completely. However, I wouldn't react to a personal poem by saying 'the meter is shaky in S5,L2 please change it to...'. For poetry that wants publication, certain technical points need to be noted. Which is why I'd probably be happy if it was separated from personal poetry.)

Finally, the Graphics and Animations section might have a section for the Gimp. I'm sure it's a professional image editor plenty of people use. Just a thought.

Cheers!

PS: By the way, if anyone is wondering if I have any credits to go by in the context of literary creativity, then this may be relevant. But I can only promise to contribute, and I certainly do not claim to be a professional. Only a beginner trying/hoping to help :P

Good suggestions.The spellcheck thing might be a little hard to make, but I have never been on the admin side of Invision Power Board, so I don't really know what IPB is capable of doing in terms of creating your own stuff for it.You can alternatively check your spelling errors by copying your entire post into Microsoft Word before posting, and checking it that way. It might be a hassle to open up an application, but it can make posts a bit more professional looking.

Yes, I think I will just use an application to do the spell checking - it's just that I'm on Linux and Open Office can be... a little tiresome sometimes. Not a big deal, of course :P phpBB does have a spellcheck MOD, but I don't quite know about ipb either. *mumbles in an afterthoughtish way* A decent feature to have, though.