xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
ARNEL

Diff. Between Fast Ethernet And Ethernet Card What is the diff. between the two cards

Hello, I'm about to buy ethernet card for my home pc but I was confused of FAST ETHERNET AND ETHERNET CARD. what is the difference between the two??? Helppp..!!!

Hello, I'm about to buy ethernet card for my home pc but I was confused of FAST ETHERNET AND ETHERNET CARD. what is the difference between the two??? Helppp..!!!

148998[/snapback]

Ethernet card would be 10Mbps (mega bauds per second) Fast Ethernet card would be 100Mbps and Giga Ethernet card of course is 1000Mbps or 1Gbps.

Most ethernaet cards sold today are Fast Ethernet or better. Look for the 100Mbps or the 10/100Mbps specification. I would only suggest Fast Ethernet and faster cards. Most are backwards compatible so even if some of your existing hardware is slower, everything will work together.

(1 baud is about 1 byte if I remember correctly)

Additionally, make sure you only use Cat5 or better network cables. Cat5E is my reccomendation but Cat6 is the best way to go. If you will run network cable through your building like in the attic or inside of the walls, go for the best you can afford so it won't need to be replaced soon. Cheaper cables are fine for easily accessable areas because they can be upgradded easily.

Hope this helps. :P

vujsa

Ethernet card would be 10Mbps (mega bauds per second) Fast Ethernet card would be 100Mbps and Giga Ethernet card of course is 1000Mbps or 1Gbps.

Most ethernaet cards sold today are Fast Ethernet or better.  Look for the 100Mbps or the 10/100Mbps specification.  I would only suggest Fast Ethernet and faster cards.  Most are backwards compatible so even if some of your existing hardware is slower, everything will work together.

Additionally, make sure you only use Cat5 or better network cables.  Cat5E is my reccomendation but Cat6 is the best way to go.  If you will run network cable through your building like in the attic or inside of the walls, go for the best you can afford so it won't need to be replaced soon.  Cheaper cables are fine for easily accessable areas because they can be upgradded easily.

vujsa

149008[/snapback]

Hmmmm... OK, tnx. .now I know, maybe I'll go for Fast ethernet card for better performance... I think this is very good in LAN games right? , tnx vujsa I owe you for this....:D

Most ethernaet cards sold today are Fast Ethernet or better.  Look for the 100Mbps or the 10/100Mbps specification.  I would only suggest Fast Ethernet and faster cards.  Most are backwards compatible so even if some of your existing hardware is slower, everything will work together.

Additionally, make sure you only use Cat5 or better network cables.  Cat5E is my reccomendation but Cat6 is the best way to go.  If you will run network cable through your building like in the attic or inside of the walls, go for the best you can afford so it won't need to be replaced soon.  Cheaper cables are fine for easily accessable areas because they can be upgradded easily.

vujsa

149008[/snapback]

Is IEEE802.3 and IEEEE802.3u is related to NIC CARD what is the difference between the two... and what IEEE802.3, IEEEE802.3u stands for, what it's function? I'm not familiar with all of these eh...sorry I really need help... tnx

Is IEEE802.3 and IEEEE802.3u is related to NIC CARD what is the difference between the two... and what IEEE802.3, IEEEE802.3u stands for, what it's function? I'm not familiar with all of these eh...sorry I really need help... tnx

149013[/snapback]

The IEEEXXX.X is a specification number for whatever hardware you are looking at. I'm sorry, I am not familiar with all of them so I can't help with that.

What it mean is that it conforms to all of the requirements set in that specification.

So if you have software or hardware that requires that the devices meet that srandard, it will work.

I'll look into the specifications you have supplied and try to answer but probably not tonight.

For more information about networking, see this post at Xisto, our sister site. It has a pretty good explaination of wireless and wired networking and a good resource link.

Hope this helps, :P

vujsa

The IEEEXXX.X is a specification number for whatever hardware you are looking at.  I'm sorry, I am not familiar with all of them so I can't help with that.

What it mean is that it conforms to all of the requirements set in that specification.

So if you have software or hardware that requires that the devices meet that srandard, it will work.

I'll look into the specifications you have supplied and try to answer but probably not tonight.

For more information about networking, see this post at Xisto, our sister site.  It has a pretty good explaination of wireless and wired networking and a good resource link. 

Hope this helps, :P

vujsa

149037[/snapback]

Tnx.. I will visit that link maybe I learn more about wireless. Anyway I really appreciate if you could add more info with regards to this post of mine, anytime, vujsa. :D tnx...