xisto Community
Xboxgamer1200

Gaming And Teen Violence Are games really to blame for teen violence?

Does Gaming Affect Teen Violence?  

17 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I personally feel that gaming cannot be labeled the main cause of teen violence. I believe that people felt something needed to be blamed for the rising of teen violence lately, and gaming took a blow for it. Why would it have to be games that cause teen violence? Why not movies or music? What about shooting sports such as paintball or airsoft? There are many other ways kids could be influenced to cause teen violence, so I feel that each individual kid may be influenced differently by different things.Please feel free to make arguments to support your vote.

Teen violence did exist before computer games did, didn't it? I'm reasonably sure (although I don't have stats to support this) that there are teens who exhibit instances of violence without having had any computer game influence. On the other hand, I know plenty of gamers who are teens, crazy about games, but sane enough (no harm to society :P). I am against anything (game or non-game) that spreads the idea of war, violence, et al and glamorizes them. However - while I'm sure there are cases where computer games have been responsible for teen violence, I cannot imagine that being an exclusive reason. Like Xboxgamer1200 put it, there are books, movies, and other media that can influence one's mind just as dramatically (sometimes even more) as computer games.

I feel that each individual kid may be influenced differently by different things.

I'll second that. We're all different people, and react differently to different things. Sure, some games may have accelerated the concept of teen violence, some may have contributed non-trivially to certain instances of teen violence -- but it can't be the only influence out there. It's a complex world :D Of course, I am still against anything that glamorizes violence and makes you think it's really cool to murder someone off the street - and if a game is going to do that, I will be against that too. But I must mention this - if something 'makes you think that x=y', that is no reason to believe x=y. If you do, and then suffer any negative consequences (of believing x=y), it's partly your fault. Does that make any sense?

i dont think that it leads to violence because if your not smart enough to realize that its just a game theres something wrong already, i think that society just doesnt like gamers in general and are trying to make them and the games they play look bad

I'm not too sure about whether or not violent games add to the violence in children or teenagers or whomever, but you are right in saying that fact that violence was around long before any form of game was around. That just seems obvious to me. Saying that it didn't exist, just seems unreasonable.Granted, some games are very violent and graphic, and I don't fully support that myself, but I do not believe the games are solely to blame. Before people blamed the games, they blamed the tv... and before that, who knows what (hey, maybe you know, it's just a little before my time lol...)My point is, I don't think that teen violence can be fully blamed on gaming, but maybe partailly. The violence has always been around, and maybe the games have just added to it. But then again, I'm no expert in the subject...

Games may affect some people to some degree. I know that for sure. Every experience in life affects people and changes them to some degree. I strongly believe video games (especially online ones) do over stimulate the brain, and also cause aggression if someone plays too long. Gaming is fun, but it can also be stressful. As for violence, I don't know if it has any cases of that, but there is always a chance of it I'm sure.

We're all different people, and react differently to different things. Sure, some games may have accelerated the concept of teen violence, some may have contributed non-trivially to certain instances of teen violence -- but it can't be the only influence out there. It's a complex world :P Of course, I am still against anything that glamorizes violence and makes you think it's really cool to murder someone off the street - and if a game is going to do that, I will be against that too. But I must mention this - if something 'makes you think that x=y', that is no reason to believe x=y. If you do, and then suffer any negative consequences (of believing x=y), it's partly your fault. Does that make any sense?

148943[/snapback]

Well stated, I agree with you 100% there. Yes, your mathematical equation makes perfect sence to me. :( However, I still do wonder why upper levels of math include letters and other crazy stuff. I was fortunate to get a B in Precalc this year, but AP Calc will be a new story next year... :D

Alright, back on subject...

A few years ago I denied the idea that games could ever cause teen violence. I felt that it was mostly parents trying to put a label on the cause of rising teen violence these days. I recently am starting to believe, as I stated before, that each individual kid may be affected differently. Video games can be frustrating or even cause a lot of emotion at times (may be evident when I am playing Halo 2 with friends), so it is my new belief that video games could be the spark for the fire with some kids. Although this may be the case for some kids, I personally feel that video games can be a good way for me to vent strong emotions a times.

This is a tough one and a topic that has made the feature presentation of many a current affair shows. Especially after Columbine.I would say that it may fuel an already disturbed mind and may even in extreme circumstances act as a catalyst for a form of violence but I also believe that the game itself cannot really start the need for violence or violent tendancies except perhaps at a very young age, pre 10 year olds maybe, at that stage your mind is very much affected through cognative development and it could be possible to be affected. It's all very debatable though.I do agree though that it's not healthy that such a ridiculously large portion of entertainment revolves around violence. Why does everything have to be that way? It's strange isn't it. An emotional response that most people would do anything to avoid is the primary form of entertainment. Sorry to say it, but the USA has a big role to play in this arena.

This is a tough one and a topic that has made the feature presentation of many a current affair shows. Especially after Columbine.

I do agree though that it's not healthy that such a ridiculously large portion of entertainment revolves around violence. Why does everything have to be that way? It's strange isn't it. An emotional response that most people would do anything to avoid is the primary form of entertainment. Sorry to say it, but the USA has a big role to play in this arena.

154101[/snapback]

Yes, I have heard, although I have never looked into it, that some people believe that Columbine was caused by the Shooters playing a violent computer game (possibly Doom?). I do belive this could have been a "catalyst" for the violence, however I really do not believe the video game itself cause them to do it.

A very large portion of video games, movies, and the media in general shows violence constantly. Maybe it does affect younger kids when they are still being greatly influenced by their environment. I have noticed that there is a different/more violent wave of kids in my own community. The amount of violence in everything could be the cause of this change.

Personally, I really do not see how a game series like Grand Theft Auto, or Halo or anything like that can cause teen violence. But hey, that is just me and my opinion. I know that there is other people out there who differ in opinions from me, and people who agree, or people who do not side at all. But like I say, I play the Grand theft Auto series a lot, and it does not affect me. In my humble opinion, I think there has to be something else in a teenager's life to affect them that much. It has to be abuse, or something in their personal life that is affecting them that much. Those type of games do not affect me, but it is just me. Neither do cases of music like Ozzy Osbourne and things like that, although I do listen to it sometimes. Some people just have different mindsets, and are more vulnerable to things that occur in their life. The things that result from teen violence and how it happens is their choice. I think that these games are not one hundred percent to blame for the things that some of those 'different' teens out there do. But it's their life, let them do what they want until it is illegal or not, and they make their own choices. They need to realize that there are also consequences that result from their choices of actions.There is my two cents on this topic.

I beilieve that all teens that go rampid and try to hurt others is ways that are unimaginable are already losing it in the brain and games are getting blamed.. i mean.. if a child wants to kill his parents and then goes and sees a movie about a psycho child that does it... and then goes and plays Halo 2 and kills ALIENS, and then kills his parents.... Halo 2 would get blamed because he was killing and not an actor... its really sad because if a game is to get blamed then children that get hurt playing football with friends is soon going to blame the NFL Street series.. which is totally Bull **** ... excuse the stars... but thats just my opinion.. so i say no its not fueling there intelect to decide whether or not to hurt or even kill someone..

I agree with Leon. I think that people that blame games for ther'ye homocidal tendencies are stupid. If I hear about some kid killing his parents on account of Halo2, Area 51, or Manhunt, I will go insane!

They need to realize that there are also consequences that result from their choices of actions.

154391[/snapback]

That would be the ultimate solution to all violence if people just realised the consequences. The problem is that emotion often overpowers a person's logic and reason way of thinking.

yes that is very true but in time, if they actually thought about their actions before comitting to them they would realise they were making a mistake, but sadly they cannot do this... so there for violence crimes will be commited no matter what people do. its inevitable, but just taking it out on videogames in a manner of speaking is perpostouros (thats spelled wrong i know)

like every one says, games only trigger more violance to an already troubled mined, but that is not the only source i think that music and movies, tv shows, also have a part to play in this. it is of the persons own choosing what they want to do. entertainment only influences more of it. also i would have to say that freinds also have a big part to play in this, it all depends on who you are hanging out with.if you are hanging out with gang members you will tend to get into trouble :rolleyes: or if you hang out with teens who do drugs or some sort of violance that will also influence your thinking. everything around us influences the way we act and think. but it is our choice to go were we want to go then that will determine our future. i just think that those kids who are commiting violance choose that path and now they might even be thinking of "well since im doing it might aswell do it to the end" or "no one can help me now" its all about wat path you choose to go. :lol: