xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Karne

Dual Core Proccesors-intel Or Amd? Which would you buy when they arrive?

Which one would you get? Intel or AMD Dual Core Proccesor  

5 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

some processor tidbits, fun facts, and brain busters...A processor is the heart of your computer. It takes assignments, tasks, or actions to do in these data formats; strings, threads and handles. It then processes the data into actions for the other components of your computer to do. (vieo card, monitor, sound card, internet card ETC..) So if your playing a high graphics, surround sound, online, game on a HD TV... you would like every component to be good. But even if you had the best graphics card in the world, it would make little difference if your processor wasnt fast enough to work with the video card. I currently am expierencing this probmel. I have a high end 256 MB GPU and I have trouble playing 3D games because my processor works at 800MHZ.(Processors nowadays work at 3000 to 3500MHZ, also known as 3 to 3.5GHZ.Both companies are working hard on developing the breakthrough of 2 core processors (DC). A normal processor contains one core. New motherboards nowadays can hold two processors also known as multi-processor motherboards (MP). Intel processors have now been infused with Hyper-Threading technology (HT). HT Technology enables a processor to multiply its max threads and handles by two. So heres how much you could theoretically multiply your processing power:1x(Normal) 1 processor with 1 core working at 2.0GHZ without HT2x(HT)1 processor with 1 core working at 2.0GHZ with HT2x(MP)2 proessors with 1 core each working at 2.0GHZ each without HT2x(DC)1 processor with 2 cores working at 2.0GHZ each without HT4x(DC and HT)1 processor with 2 cores working at 2.0GHZ each with HT4x(MP and HT) 2 processors with 1 core each working at 2.0GHZ each with HT4x(MP and DC)2 processors with 2 cores each working at 2.0GHZ each without HT8x(MP, HT, DC)2 processors with 2 cores each working at 2.0GHZ each with HTUsing the above table you could figure out your processing power easily by taking your processor frequency (1ghz, 800mhz, 3ghz, whatever it is) and multiplying it by the number at the start of each solution (1x, 2x, 4x, 8x)... The end result of the calculation is the speed you could be working at!EX: I have a 2.0GhZ processor(s). If I got a MP and HT solution I would theoretically be working at 8.0GHZ speed.(Remember no dual core processors have been released for home computing yet.)(Also remember that HT Technology is limited to Intel processors only.)

An executive at AMD criticized Intel's dual-core design. They said Intel's dual-core is nothing more than two chips packaged together. I suppose AMD has a better approach.

Not all Intel processors are HT compatible. Only the Pentium 4 processors and not the Celeron ones. AMD however does not have any such technologies currently on the market. I personally have been partial to the AMD processors as they have mostly out performed the Intel variety on high end gaming. Now that the AMD 64 processors have been released before Intel was able to muster up their version of the 64 bit CPU, I am starting to believe that the Intel dominance of the CPU market is fading. In my opinion AMD is moving in for the kill and Intel will suffer some large losses. I know that Intel will never totaly be gone, but I think their day has come and will soon be gone. AMD is my choice. By the way, back in about '95-'96 I would have laughed my face off at anyone who thought AMD could ever even hold a candle to Intel. Hmmmm.... Just like when Billy Gates said "Nobody will ever need more than 640k memory"! :D

Well, I would pick Intel over AMD anyday... Since I don't use my computer for gaming, but instead for serius work, I need a stable processor... Now, it may be that AMD has that, but ever since one AMD died, and fried my MB.. Let's just say I don't like AMD :D Anyways, Intel has dominant speed and quality when it comes to processing graphics and multimedia (MMX and such technologies), while AMD is more centered on 3D graphics...This is the question that will always remain: "Intel or AMD?"... People who like Intel (who are just like me), will hardly switch to AMD, and vice versa, people who like AMD, won't switch to Intel...So, I cast my vote for Dual-Core Intel (with Hyper Threading if possible :D)...