xisto Community
Inspiron

Windows Look-alike On Linux Are there such distributions?

A kernel panic is usually due to a hardware issue. With my experience with Linux that has been the issue. What is your system specs? This where Knoppix usually comes in handy, or any live cd. This helps to check to see if Linux and your hardware is compatible. Linspire, from what I have heard is pretty descent, but you tend to have to pay for a lot of stuff that seems like bloat. However, they do have an easier way of installing software from their click -n -run wharehouse. Another good diistro, which I used a few years ago when I was a newbie was Lycoris, http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/. Their forums are good for a lot of Linux help as well. Anyway, if you could, list your hardeware specs here and we can see if we can see what is up.

The easyest version of the linux is mandrake or mandriva, and you can personalize the desktop that it would look like that you are running windows on it. With linux and the KDE environment (also with GNOME and others-but this two are most developed and used) you can personalize your desktop and all the operating system as you wish. I suggest you to try Mandriva LE 2005 (that is the newest version of Mandrake linux avaliable now) You can download it from their website (you have to pay a little fee I guess) or find a mirror which provides free download (it's open source so it's a legal download), or you can buy a linux magazine with this version of linux included.Good luck!

Could be, but if you're new to linux Mandriva is the easyest way to learn how to use linux and then you can go to other distributions. If you go like first to let's say Gentoo or Debian I'm not shure if someone who don't know anything about linux and how to make something in linux will know even how to install it and then how to use it.