xisto Community
Inspiron

Windows Look-alike On Linux Are there such distributions?

Hey guys...I wanna try linux but they seems to difficult and so different from Windows...Any one knows of any distributions that looks like Windows...?Not just in terms of the taskbar, but also the file explorer and other linux programs...

You can try Lindows (or Linspire). It is a windows like interface. But, personally I think that distro is very slow and has too much junk in it. The good thing about it is that you just pop in the CD and pretty much hit install and everything is done for you.

I've been trying to download Linspire 5.0 and I noticed in other websites about the coupon code discount thing...How can I get a couple code for Linspire 5.0 ?How about Linspire 4.5 ?What's your review on it ?

Linspire is great for work and multimedia then choose Linspire. Actually it's C-N-R service is a bit overcharged because you also must pay to download free software thru it. Xandros on the other hand doesn't have any advantages than Linspire. The distribution I recommend and suggest for power users or gamers to use is SuSE for stability, ease of use and optimal freedom to do anything. I don't really recommend Mandriva (formerly Mandrake) because it's ridiculed with bugs. Fedora Core is an experimental distribution, it's good for work and server but definitely not unstable and it's not gamer friendly because of such bugs.That's my review on the distros.xboxrulz

I think Xandos is much better. Better features and good support.Specially since ull be paying go for xandos.Otherwise try mandrake ... its now exactly windows but can come close and everything installs on its own like in windows ... no mounting or graphic card problems ... Sorry now they r called MandrivaCheck out http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/
Cheers

Thanks for all the replies...

I've just tried Linspire 4.5 on VMWare...

It took me sometime to install VMware, and also installing Linspire on the emulated harddrive by VMware...

After installing, the startup of Linspire just hang there and the scroll-lock and number-lock key LEDs on my keyboard kept flashing...

I removed the emulated drive and redo the whole procedure thinking it might be something foreign that disturbs the installation, but the same thing happens...

The startup of Linspire stops when a message states :

Kernel Panic : Attempt to kill init

Any dudes know what's happening?

Here's a video of it that I've captured :

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

init is the basis of Linux. It is the first process after the kernel loads. VMWare sucks at making Linux work. But, it's good at making Windows work on Linuxxboxrulz

If VMWare is not required "yet" try just installing Linspire on the computer itself.If the issues still arises you could have a bad copy of linspire or some of your hardware is not compatible with linspire.I would try installing linspire directly to the computer and see what issues arise, if everything is ok then your issues is with VMWare.Hope this Helps.Klass

I have successfully installed Linspire, mandrake, suse, slack, and gentoo on VirtualPC. It ran fine and I had no problems installing. Just my two cents.If you are gonna install on your "real" PC, I wouldn't want to run linux as my primary operating system though. Linux just doesn't have the programs I need. It's ok to play around but I find it really isn't useful for me. From your first post, I think you are only trying linux so you can play around with it. This is why I recommend not installing it as your primary operating system, it is ideal if you can get it into Virtual PC. If not, you should do a dual boot setup.

VirtualPC or VMware ?Both are emulators but they supports differently...If you managed to do it on VMware, please tell us how you do it?Definately you need to do some special stuffs because on VMware website, Linspire is not in the list of supported operating systems..