xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
b4thedawn125

Most Popups Are Useless popups

I mean comon...most people don't care about a "free tshirt" especially when it's false and they always slow down my computer. they're really annoying i get sooo frustrated. banners are okay because theyre just there they dont popup..BUT they are very tempting to click on expecially when it says "shoot the thing" or something lol i find it fun..

I feel the same, banners are OK too me too. I hate pop-ups, they're annoying. Thanks Firefox with it adblock plug-in, I can control the pop-ups better.

I agree. Most of the pop-ups I see show something about working and living in the U.S. or that the computer has a "problem" (at least these are the most common ones). If I had a choice, I'd take a banner ad over a pop-up anyday. Besides, it's scary to think that some of these pop-ups could even install nasty spyware/adware without the user even knowing it.

Yep, Totally agree there. But i guess those pop-up makers only need people to click on 2-3 % of their ads. Thank god, now we have pop-up blocker on computer. Pop-ups are nasty sometimes... spywares, adware, virus etc.

I have to agree totally and one of the great things that's come out of the popup blocking that browsers are doing is changing the way flash sites are designed. no more simple intro pages and flash poping in a dif window. which i think is great! Now if only people would just get out the intro movie.
round

Of course they are useless if you don?t buy what they offer... but for me the 99% of TV advertisements are useless too. And that doesn?t mean that they don?t work.I use to prefer banners but now that we can block pop ups... let the popups be :rolleyes: I don?t care, I don?t see them.

To us relatively normal folk, yes they are 100% useless. But the sad fact is...if NO ONE ever clicked on them and whatnot, they wouldn't have gotten this popular and would not sitll be around. Some idiots must actually goto them and get there money ripped from there pockets so that these ads actually have a reason for spawning as they do. Personally I havn't atually paid any attention to them ever since I realized how stupid they were years ago. Even banners rarely warrant a full read over. I can only shoot so many ipods and never actually receive one before I become skeptical :rolleyes:

Since I have mozilla firefox, I don't give a **** about the popups - where are they? B) No popups lately? :P Or is it my great firefox, that turns them down. B) A great blocker, yeah! B) However pop-ups are good - lots of people earn their living making these small anoying windows, that used to make me !?*"# Well, not anymore B) So, let them be... B)

i agree. Pop-ups are useless..but, in some cases though, some people find they can get what they want in return the pop-up company gets spyware on your computer or something like that... i just guessing. :P

I mean comon...most people don't care about a "free tshirt" especially when it's false and they always slow down my computer. they're really annoying i get sooo frustrated. banners are okay because theyre just there they dont popup..BUT they are very tempting to click on expecially when it says "shoot the thing" or something lol i find it fun..

147953[/snapback]

Yes, I agree ... Pop-ups are very much an annoyance... I don't know that I would say they are useless. They may be useless to a casual web surfer... however they are extremely useful to an advertiser.

Everybody hates them, and there is a ton of software designed to block them, however, they are also still the most effective way to advertise on the internet.

From the standpoint of a surfer... I would like to destroy all pop-ups. From the standpoint of an advertiser... they get the message across very effectively.

Yeah, I agree. Pop-ups may be annoying, but they are a way for advertisers to make money. As long as they are making money from pop-ups, they will continue them. I have never seen any pop-up worth clicking (and most are blocked, thanks to Firefox), so they aren't making any because of me. However, most sites that I go to don't even use pop-ups anymore.

I think that browsers should start moving backwards. Just like the mail() function being restricted on free servers cause people abused it, browsers should just stop allowing those js and other functions that allow it to spawn new windows. It really shouldn't be to hard and anyone working on the web can find away around their little problems.round