xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Totalwar

My Sf/f Setting Creative writing

I hope this is where this goes, I see a lot of songs but no creative writing. I just started my account and this is my first post. I thought I would post the setting of my role playing game. Although inspired by Vernor Vinge, it is my creative work and was written by and belongs to me. Four era?s worth of war has ravaged the galaxy. At the dawn of creation came the Chi War where Energy based beings, that some call Ebbs, and others call gods, created the first galactic conflict. It was during this first era that ?creationist life? was formed, which is to say that the Ebbs created mortal life long before it evolved naturally. That era ended when creationist life first encountered evolutionist life. It was believed that if mortal life could evolve naturally as well as artificially then the immortal life that the Ebbs possessed could also be achieved artificially. Mortals developed psionic techniques in an attempt to become immortal. New conflict continued in the era of the Psi War. The Psi War era ended when the first mortals achieved their goal and became Energy based beings themselves. These ?New Gods? used their knowledge of energy to teach mortals magic. This caused the Mage War, the third era, to begin. The Era of Magic ended when evolutionist life finally began to develop technology. The Mages, having been weakened through thousands of years of conflict, could not stand up against this new threat and fell at the dawn of the Tech War. Technological empires grew and fell in an vicious survival of the fittest until one technological empire gathered enough power to enslave the beings of pure energy. This final chapter in history was brought to conclusion by a new sect of mages that combined the powers of magic with those of technology, the Techno-wizards. Realizing that even they lacked the power to bring peace, they divided the war torn galaxy into 5 zones. The Zones were natural barriers that would contain various destructive forces and preserve the galaxy as a whole. The Zones prevent any one empire from collecting too much power and insure that no one empire could ever threaten the entire galaxy. This brings us to where we are now, in the fifth era of Totalwar. From core to edge the galaxy maintains a balance between its remaining destructive forces. The core of the galaxy is known as the Depths and magic is abundant. Moving out from the core magic weakens but faster than light travel is not yet possible without the aid of psionic techniques, giving this region the classification of Slow Zone. Once faster than light travel becomes possible, technology asserts itself and, although limited, the Beyond houses empires centralized in technology. To avoid the technological limitations of the Beyond, one must travel to the edge of the galaxy known as the Transcend. Here unlimited technology is used to mass produce and export more traditional technologies to the Beyond. The unlimited technologies of the Transcend do not make these outposts unrivaled. Energy based beings usually confined to Valhalla, the void surrounding the galaxy, can enter the Transcend in a weakened but sill formidable state. The fact that Ebbs enjoy being worshiped as gods, and will protect devote worshipers, makes religion a very big part of life in the Transcend. That?s a short overview, if you have any suggestions or want more detail on an aspect of it, feel free to post a reply. Thanks