xisto Community
mbd5882

Grid.org Cancer Reaserch Project

Has anyone heard of LigandFit?LigandFit is a drug discovery software program.The program appraises each of hundreds of millions of molecules to see if they are likely to interact with a target protein. LigandFit calculates and studies the many positions, or conformers, the molecule might adopt interacting with the protein. This process is called virtual screening of the molecules.Basicly you install it and it uses your computer to work out stuff, So it uses your unused resorces. Cancerresearch get theinformation and sell it for money, We dont get anything so were basicly making them rich. It also slows down your computer. Its like a scam really for you to get them money.Thanks, :D

Has anyone heard of LigandFit?

Actually, I have heard of it and have been a member for some time now.

I even posted the information at Xisto.com.

In case anyone wants more information about LigandFit and grid computing, check out my post.

It covers all kinds of grid computing but the real topic is GRID.ORG a.k.a. United Devices.

I would like to point out a couple of things from mbd5882's post.

• It is true that if you set the software to run all of the time, it will slow your system down even though it is suppossed to be low priority and yeild to active applications. The application can be set to only run whill the system is in standby mode either as a screen saver or just in the background.
  • Yes United Devices charges for their grid computting services, but it is much less than the charge for using a super computer which takes longer and difficult to find. Thus far, the only projects they have adopted have been for medical research by either drug companies, universities, or the U.S. Government (Bio-Warfare Defence).

There are other fully non-profit grid computing projects available on the internet so do some research and donate your unused computer cycles.

Happy Computing, :D

vujsa

If it helps Cancer Research, I'm all for it. But alas, my computer is too slow and useless to have such programs on it. Maybe when I get a new one.